The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Serpents in the Garden cover (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=236464)

Defcon January 26 2014 03:44 PM

Serpents in the Garden cover

The cover for Jeff Mariotte's Serpents in the Garden has been posted on thetrekcollective.com.

You can see it here.

I actually kind of like it. Somewhat cheesy, but fun.

Jarvisimo January 26 2014 03:45 PM

Re: Serpents in the Garden cover

That chest needs more oil

Ethros January 26 2014 04:25 PM

That cover...

;)

Reanok January 26 2014 05:57 PM

Who's the artist that did the cover art for this book?

Christopher January 26 2014 06:03 PM

The back cover says "Cover art and design by Alan Dingman."

The Wormhole January 26 2014 06:30 PM

I'm reminded of a discussion a few months back where someone was wondering when this book is set, pre-TMP or pre-TWOK. I suggested pre-TWOK since Kirk wearing a red jacket would likely sell more copies than if he were wearing the gray jumpsuit.

Well, that cover doesn't really settle the matter, though if it is pre-TMP they've gotten around the dilemma of the gray jumpsuit's marketability.

Stevil2001 January 26 2014 06:36 PM

Oh, it hadn't really registered on me that it wasn't an image taken from "A Private Little War," because that's Kirk's movie-era hair. Nice.

I seem to remember a 1990s TOS-era novel with an "A Private Little War" follow-up, but I don't see anything on Memory Beta. Anyone remember?

Christopher January 26 2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Steve Mollmann wrote: (Post 9170410)
I seem to remember a 1990s TOS-era novel with an "A Private Little War" follow-up, but I don't see anything on Memory Beta. Anyone remember?

I can't find a reference to any such novel or Strange New Worlds story. I thought it might be in Peter David's "The Trial of James T. Kirk" from DC's comic, but that was Anan 7 testifying about the aftermath of "A Taste of Armageddon." And there was the earlier comics story about how Kirk screwed up Gamma Trianguli VI after "The Apple." But the only "Private Little War"-derived story I can think of is the telling of the Klingon side of the affair in IDW's Blood Will Tell.

Elias Vaughn January 26 2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Ethros wrote: (Post 9169993)
That cover...

;)

Never half ass anything. :D

Therin of Andor January 26 2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Steve Mollmann wrote: (Post 9170410)
I seem to remember a 1990s TOS-era novel with an "A Private Little War" follow-up, but I don't see anything on Memory Beta.

"The Disinherited" novel follows immediately after the events of "A Private Little War" (not mentioned on Memory Beta's Neural page). But I think that's just how the stardates pan out.

A civil war on Neural is part of the Star Trek "Starfleet Academy" game - was it also referenced in the novelization of that?

24th century Neural - and the troupe of Mugatu - feature at the end of "New Frontier: Stone and Anvil", of course.

8of5 January 26 2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Defcon wrote: (Post 9169915)
I actually kind of like it. Somewhat cheesy, but fun.

I feel much the same. I don't normally go for character covers, especially Kirk covers. But there's something about this one; maybe that it's a bit retro, and quite bright, which is unusual for a Star Trek cover.

JD January 27 2014 12:14 AM

Yeah, it's definitely a big change from the usual Trek book covers. Maybe this is a sign we'll be getting a bit more variety.

Reanok January 27 2014 06:09 PM

Christopher thanks for the name of the artist. I like this cover art with Captain Kirk on the cover. It's nice to see movie era Kirk on the cover.

Enterprise is Great January 28 2014 11:34 PM

A nice change of pace.

tomswift2002 January 29 2014 01:54 AM

Kind of reminds me of the cover art to Voyager's The Garden---although the colors on this TOS book were definitely computer generated.