The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Tech (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New Orleans-Class (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=236362)

Bry_Sinclair January 24 2014 10:38 PM

New Orleans-Class

On the New Orleans-Class, there are three "pods" (two on top of the saucer and one on the bottom of the secondary hull) that I have always wondered about. Has there been an explanation as to what they actually do?

Are the sensor arrays, heavy-duty tractor beam emplacements, torpedo launchers, or something else entirely? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Robert Comsol January 24 2014 10:56 PM

Re: New Orleans-Class

Always looked like TMP Enterprise style torpedo launchers to me. Not only do they have the same proportions near the front but I think the size would also be very much the same.

Bob

Angry Fanboy January 24 2014 10:59 PM

Angry Fanboy

I suppose it's virtually impossible to say - just pods added to make the model look more interesting is the only 'real' answer.

Speculatively in universe they could be any one of the things you've already mentioned, but going by what we've been exposed to on TNG I'm instinctively weary of going with weapons pods or huge torpedo launchers - we've seen the Defiant and Prometheus introduced as de facto warships but these are a rare exception.

I'd probably go with labelling them as mission-specific pods, possibly ones that can be swapped according to whatever duties the ship is engaged in - something akin to what is eventually seen on a smaller scale with the runabouts. :)

Robert Comsol January 24 2014 11:11 PM

These might have been ship designs deliberately created to deal with the Borg threat, that's why I thought these were torpedo launchers (which IMHO are just too reminscent of the TMP Enterprise torpedo launcher to be just coincidental).

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly Commander Shelby identifies these ships by name which I always interpreted as a hint that she was somehow involved in their designs.

Bob

P.S. Does someone have a good picture for illustration purposes?

SchwEnt January 25 2014 12:00 AM

I've frequently seen New Orleans class vessels referred to as frigates. If that's accepted, they'd be fighting ships and therefore torpedo pods would be appropriate.

B.J. January 25 2014 12:18 AM

I've always thought they were some sort of sensor pods.

Quote:

Robert Comsol wrote: (Post 9164542)
Does someone have a good picture for illustration purposes?

See this page, especially near the bottom.

Nob Akimoto January 25 2014 02:14 AM

The New Orleans class ships identified in TNG are the Renegade, Rutledge, Thomas Paine and Kyushu, of which Renegade and Thomas Paine were identified as "frigates" in "Conspiracy" and Rutledge as a ship involved in the Cardassian border wars ("The Wounded") and also as leading the Federation's counter offensive into the Archanis Sector (DS9 "Nor the Battle to the Strong"), so it's likely those outboard pods are weapons or at least modular pods.

Unicron January 25 2014 03:11 AM

The write up in Tigger's excellent Ships of the Starfleet followup treats them as bolt-on torpedo pods, which were added to augment the original design after hostilities broke out with the Cardassians. Works for me, and I see no reason why they couldn't be swapped out for sensors or other alternative packages. :)

Bry_Sinclair January 25 2014 07:37 AM

I tend to lean more towards torpedo launchers myself (since the ship has been termed a 'frigate'), though that would mean she is packing (at least) six tubes which are all very exposed--not the smartest design feature IMO (then again this is from an organisation that insists on putting the bridge on the very top of the ship :)).

Nob Akimoto January 25 2014 07:57 AM

They might be burst fire launchers like the ones on the Galaxy explaining their "bolt on" nature. As for having them exposed, we've seen that hull doesn't really seem to stop energy and torpedo weapons anyway, so having the launchers outside of the inner hull might actually be a safety feature, kind of compartmentalized ammunition storage.

Bry_Sinclair January 25 2014 02:44 PM

^ Good point.

Blip January 25 2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Unicron wrote: (Post 9165157)
The write up in Tigger's excellent Ships of the Starfleet followup treats them as bolt-on torpedo pods, which were added to augment the original design after hostilities broke out with the Cardassians. Works for me, and I see no reason why they couldn't be swapped out for sensors or other alternative packages. :)

Makes perfect sense, IMO. Does SotS make any mention of New Orleans being designed as a smaller-scale pathfinder for the tech we see later on as the Nebula- and Galaxy-classes?

LOLPeanutButter January 25 2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Robert Comsol wrote: (Post 9164542)

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly Commander Shelby identifies these ships by name which I always interpreted as a hint that she was somehow involved in their designs.

I think the bulk of the Wolf 359 force was trained and equipped to deal with The Borg. Mention was made of an anti-borg task-force/group that she was part of. That's why she knew each ship by name... she had worked with these crews anticipating a better outcome and never thought for a moment that the Borg would come in and apply 999,999 CRIT to the entire task-force in just a few short hours.

These ships could have been assigned to this specific taskforce... when she refered to getting "the fleet" back up and running in a year... I figured she referred to this specific little task-force/sub-fleet.

As for the pods, why not rapid-fire secondary torpedo pods... this particular New Orleans class ship could have been refit to park off side and spam torpedoes. Depending on where you fit in the Canon-Registry War, maybe this was a prototype of the Akira's 'fifteen tubes of doom" design. Pure rapid-fire torpedo-spam boats for specific applications.

Do we have any other onscreen images for New Orleans class ships? Or is the glimpse of the ship at Wolf the only one?

Robert Comsol January 26 2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

LOLPeanutButter wrote: (Post 9167896)
Do we have any other onscreen images for New Orleans class ships? Or is the glimpse of the ship at Wolf the only one?

I'm afraid the glimpse of the ship near Wolf 359 is the only onscreen image available.

Bob

Blip January 26 2014 12:28 AM

LOL @ "torpedo-spamming" the Borg cube :D