The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=236248)

Amasov January 23 2014 05:31 AM

Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
Did anyone hear about this?

http://www.today.com/entertainment/b...edy-2D11977314

bigdaddy January 23 2014 07:08 AM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
And it will fail just like Michael J Fox Show is.

Starbreaker January 23 2014 03:31 PM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
Can't say I'm surprised. Will it have Cosby in the title no matter what it's about?

Romulan_spy January 23 2014 03:55 PM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
I applaud Cosby for wanting to do a comedy that harkens back the wholesome family values of The Cosby Show. We certainly need more of that these days. I loved The Cosby Show when it aired! Having said that, I do think that it will be tricky to recapture its success. It was one of those shows that just came at the right time with the right chemistry of actors.

BillJ January 23 2014 04:37 PM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
I think it'll be important that he not be the center of the show.

Spot's Meow January 23 2014 05:32 PM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
Hmm. From the article: "There is a viewership out there that wants to see comedy, and warmth, and love, and surprise, and cleverness, without going into the party attitude." I'm not sure what he means by "party attitude." I can think of lots of sitcoms on the air right now that are currently have all of the qualities he is listing. Reading his further descriptions in the article of the type of show he wants to do, it basically sounds like an 80s sitcom, which may or may not appeal to today's audience. For the nostalgia factor, yes. But there's a reason that current shows have moved away from the image of the loving, forgiving, wholesome family...it doesn't exist. It's not realistic (I especially laughed at his comment that the show will have "children who respect the parenting").

JustAFriend January 23 2014 08:59 PM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
I like Bill's comedy and have watched him since the '60s.

But he's getting to the point where they have to help him out on stage.
Don't think he'll be able to take the grind of production.

Sometimes it's just time to retire....

Owain Taggart January 23 2014 09:05 PM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
Quote:

Romulan_spy wrote: (Post 9158347)
I applaud Cosby for wanting to do a comedy that harkens back the wholesome family values of The Cosby Show. We certainly need more of that these days. I loved The Cosby Show when it aired! Having said that, I do think that it will be tricky to recapture its success. It was one of those shows that just came at the right time with the right chemistry of actors.


Agreed. It really came at the right time, and it certainly helped that the actors had chemistry with each other. I think a multi-generational show could work, but only with the right cast.

Captain Craig January 23 2014 09:57 PM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
Quote:

Spot's Meow wrote: (Post 9158716)
Hmm. From the article: "There is a viewership out there that wants to see comedy, and warmth, and love, and surprise, and cleverness, without going into the party attitude." I'm not sure what he means by "party attitude." I can think of lots of sitcoms on the air right now that are currently have all of the qualities he is listing. Reading his further descriptions in the article of the type of show he wants to do, it basically sounds like an 80s sitcom, which may or may not appeal to today's audience. For the nostalgia factor, yes. But there's a reason that current shows have moved away from the image of the loving, forgiving, wholesome family...it doesn't exist. It's not realistic (I especially laughed at his comment that the show will have "children who respect the parenting").

Maybe in California and selected areas.
I know lots of families where it is realistic and children respecting parents is not only expected but happens. Not saying it's universal but it's common enough. Maybe geography and nature vs nurture come into play on your experiences.

Spot's Meow January 23 2014 10:58 PM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
Quote:

Captain Craig wrote: (Post 9159613)
Quote:

Spot's Meow wrote: (Post 9158716)
Hmm. From the article: "There is a viewership out there that wants to see comedy, and warmth, and love, and surprise, and cleverness, without going into the party attitude." I'm not sure what he means by "party attitude." I can think of lots of sitcoms on the air right now that are currently have all of the qualities he is listing. Reading his further descriptions in the article of the type of show he wants to do, it basically sounds like an 80s sitcom, which may or may not appeal to today's audience. For the nostalgia factor, yes. But there's a reason that current shows have moved away from the image of the loving, forgiving, wholesome family...it doesn't exist. It's not realistic (I especially laughed at his comment that the show will have "children who respect the parenting").

Maybe in California and selected areas.
I know lots of families where it is realistic and children respecting parents is not only expected but happens. Not saying it's universal but it's common enough. Maybe geography and nature vs nurture come into play on your experiences.

I'd say that something like Modern Family is a more accurate representation of family dynamics. Or even The Simpsons or Roseanne, which is why we moved towards those types of shows and away from 80s-type family sitcoms in the first place. I don't think I've ever encountered a family that wasn't "dysfunctional."

Captain Craig January 24 2014 12:24 AM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
The gay couples I personally know and can count as friends would be done on two hands. With kids, one hand. Those are still raising there's to respect adults and authority figures. And only one of the guys is a real flamboyant type, the others give him shit for playing into the stereotype.

I can't say the Modern Family template is one I can relate to. Again, perhaps it's our geography.

That said I always viewed Roseanne as a more white trash, not a blue collar, type template...those I knew. No shortage of that in Nashville Public Schools.

I wouldn't pretend to say I didn't know families with some inner upheaval but that would be some growing up. They would've been the exception. I didn't go to Public School, Private so there's that to help explain the dynamic of my statement. The public school examples I met though various other social outlets.

Seventh Heaven is the last successful sitcom I can recall that fit into the mold of what Cosby is wanting to return to. That ended, what, early 00's?

bbailey861 January 24 2014 01:08 AM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
Today's audience only wants to see dysfunctional. The more dysfunctional the better. I applaud what Cosby wants to do. I will certainly tune in and can only hope that it will be good.

JWPlatt January 24 2014 08:32 AM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
Quote:

Spot's Meow wrote: (Post 9158716)
...there's a reason that current shows have moved away from the image of the loving, forgiving, wholesome family...it doesn't exist. It's not realistic (I especially laughed at his comment that the show will have "children who respect the parenting").

I've seen this said by others in media. They often say and repeat it in the subconscious hope that if it's said often enough, even more people will believe this myth and so on... Denying the existence of families like this helps the dysfunctional boost their own self esteem at the expense of others. It's not a proud moment when we try to convince people who are happy with their lives that the world sucks by continually feeding them depressing fare until they are just as unhappy as we are. I'm tired of the dark heroes and I'd like better; optimistic. Star Trek used to be like that.

Quote:

bbailey861 wrote: (Post 9160660)
Today's audience only wants to see dysfunctional. The more dysfunctional the better. I applaud what Cosby wants to do. I will certainly tune in and can only hope that it will be good.

This.

bigdaddy January 24 2014 08:57 AM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
Star Trek is science fiction, family comedies have to be based somewhat on being real. No one lives in a Leave it to Beaver world, and if they do they should be taken care of.

BillJ January 24 2014 01:19 PM

Re: Bill Cosby returning to NBC in new family comedy
 
Quote:

bbailey861 wrote: (Post 9160660)
Today's audience only wants to see dysfunctional. The more dysfunctional the better.

I don't know. I watch Modern Family and I don't think that they really play on the dysfunctional angle much.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.