The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=236182)

bbjeg January 22 2014 06:28 PM

What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
If you were to join Starfleet, where would you set your focus, if you were to join at all.

I see myself aiming for engineering. Technology always amazed me but instead of creating the tech in some lab (Research and Development), I'd rather implement it on a starship.

My second choice would be operations, a pilot to be exact. Being a futuristic space ship operator sounds fun.

AgentCoop January 22 2014 06:57 PM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
I chose Science first, then Engineering and finally R&D. All things for which I am amusingly unqualified.

T'Girl January 22 2014 07:06 PM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
Holodeck cleanup specialist

Transporter accident investigator

Shuttlecraft anti-theft security guard




:)

AgentCoop January 22 2014 07:34 PM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
^I don't think I want any part of any kind of "cleanup" where the holodeck is concerned.

C.E. Evans January 22 2014 07:45 PM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
Of the choices given (in exact order):
  1. Counseling
  2. Operations
  3. Administration (clerical)

EmperorTiberius January 22 2014 10:14 PM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
My number one was intelligence. Must be interesting, just like RnD. Tactical I chose last, but Science would have been good too. Couldn't decide between the two.

bbjeg January 22 2014 11:45 PM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
Quote:

T'Girl wrote: (Post 9154759)
Holodeck cleanup specialist

Transporter accident investigator

Shuttlecraft anti-theft security guard




:)

I say holodeck cleanup specialist would be Operations, being that you'd use the transporter or something other than your hands, transporter accident investigator would be Intelligence, and shuttlecraft anti-theft security guard would be security.

Pondwater January 22 2014 11:51 PM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
Mess hall
Medical
Civilian

USS Triumphant January 23 2014 01:46 AM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
I went with Engineering, R&D, and... Tactical, since I guess that would be the closest thing in this list to the missing option "Command"?

bbjeg January 23 2014 03:02 AM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
Is command something you can obtain out of Starfleet or something you work into from other positions? I can't think of anyone who did that other than NuKirk.

Mr. Laser Beam January 23 2014 03:05 AM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
I wouldn't be cut out for a Starfleet career. I'd be more suited to being a Boomer. I can see myself as owning a civilian cargo freighter.

USS Triumphant January 23 2014 03:34 AM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
Quote:

bbjeg wrote: (Post 9156586)
Is command something you can obtain out of Starfleet or something you work into from other positions?

There's a Command School at the Academy. I might be wrong, but I've always taken it that one would sort of major/minor in the schools. A few examples:

Spock dual-majored in Science and Command. Scotty majored in Engineering and dual minored in Command and Security. Data majored in Operations and minored in Command - which is why Shelby leapfrogged him for the Executive Officer's position in BOBW: she majored in Command, and minored in Tactics. Etc and so on.

EmperorTiberius January 23 2014 03:58 AM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 9156610)
I wouldn't be cut out for a Starfleet career. I'd be more suited to being a Boomer. I can see myself as owning a civilian cargo freighter.

May be you could be the outrageous Okona? :p

Velocity January 23 2014 04:02 AM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
I chose Science, which is a very broad position/category including everything from Astrometrics to Xenomorphs; lots to sample. Some positions were not offered...like Redshirt Retrieval.

Vanyel January 23 2014 04:21 AM

Re: What Starfleet position would you aim for? (Choose up to 3)
 
Quote:

USS Triumphant wrote: (Post 9156778)
Quote:

bbjeg wrote: (Post 9156586)
Is command something you can obtain out of Starfleet or something you work into from other positions?

There's a Command School at the Academy. I might be wrong, but I've always taken it that one would sort of major/minor in the schools. A few examples:

Spock dual-majored in Science and Command. Scotty majored in Engineering and dual minored in Command and Security. Data majored in Operations and minored in Command - which is why Shelby leapfrogged him for the Executive Officer's position in BOBW: she majored in Command, and minored in Tactics. Etc and so on.

I thought Shelby was made XO because Riker wanted everyone where they were, where Picard expected them to be. Making Shelby XO threw a curve ball at the Borg's knowledge of the Enterprise and it's crew. That and her expertise on the Borg made her the right choice for XO.

But me I'd be in R&D, or a quartermaster. I could see myself wheeling and dealing like Radar O'Riely getting supplies to my ship.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.