The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=236155)

Flying Spaghetti Monster January 22 2014 07:31 AM

Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
Mods,if there is another thread on this film, please merge this. I did a search but for some reason it's not coming up.

He canned the project..

Harvey January 22 2014 04:01 PM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
Well, that's disappointing, to say the least.

Although I wonder what kind of filmmaker Tarantino is going to be going forward without Sally Menke. Her contribution was sorely missed on Django Unchained, which had many moments of greatness, but should have been much more tightly edited.

JarodRussell January 23 2014 12:38 AM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
Tarantino is surprised actors hand scripts over to their agents, and agents hand it over to everyone? Really, Quentin? How long have you been in the business?

JWPlatt January 23 2014 01:58 AM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9156175)
Tarantino is surprised actors hand scripts over to their agents, and agents hand it over to everyone? Really, Quentin? How long have you been in the business?

Questioning and challenging corrupt behavior or the breaking of expectations of confidence is a good thing instead of living with the status quo. It's brave to take on "the establishment." I'm looking forward to anything the agent has to say. Watching them spin and posture...

Alidar Jarok January 23 2014 11:47 PM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
It's definitely a disappointment. The movie going public would still have enjoyed the film and the site hard fans would see it even if they know the whole thing. Oh well.

Ancient Mariner January 24 2014 01:53 AM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
It certainly seems to be a purely emotional reaction. How many actual moviegoers would have really known about the script, much less the plot? And even for those who do know the plot, consider how many people see movies based on books they've read. Really, there's no rational reason to cancel (or postpone) the production. I certainly understand the emotion - the feeling of betrayal. But the decision seems ... irrational to me - even if he doesn't rule out going forward later on, after the book is published.

JWPlatt January 24 2014 07:15 AM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
What makes it irrational? The reaction to betrayal? Letting down people who would have otherwise been employed by the production? That could be selfish. Giving up the income he would have made from the film? Selling a book instead of a movie?

If irrational means a lack of reason, his reason is clear. If it means a decision made in haste, you may have a point - but that's not irrational and there is still a reason, whether it's emotional or logical. Both are equally valid for human beings with feelings.

CorporalCaptain January 24 2014 07:29 AM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
The first thing I did was wonder whether success of the film was predicated in some way on a plot twist remaining secret, and so whether there being someone unable to keep a secret in the crowd that he wanted to work with, even at this early stage, just kind of killed his desire to go down the whole road.

Whatever the deal is, even though it might seem like an overreaction to us on the outside, we're not privy to the details.

We don't know who gave what kinds of assurances that it would stay under wraps, we don't the nature of thing that was to stay under wraps, etc.

ManOnTheWave January 24 2014 05:50 PM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
Apparently, the script is now online. There's some conjecture that this will lead to lawsuit, and seeing that Tarantino declared he would publish the script, it will be easy for him to prove damages.

Reverend January 25 2014 08:53 AM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
Quote:

Ancient Mariner wrote: (Post 9161182)
It certainly seems to be a purely emotional reaction. How many actual moviegoers would have really known about the script, much less the plot? And even for those who do know the plot, consider how many people see movies based on books they've read. Really, there's no rational reason to cancel (or postpone) the production. I certainly understand the emotion - the feeling of betrayal. But the decision seems ... irrational to me - even if he doesn't rule out going forward later on, after the book is published.

His script, his movie, his prerogative.

Also, let's not forget that what this amounts to is theft of personal and (I think?) intellectual property. I think anyone here would be quite rightly pissed off if someone they trusted stole from them.

FPAlpha January 25 2014 09:18 AM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
Yes but shutting down the whole movie out of spite?

That seems like an emotional overreaction to me.. it's not like the script will be printed on the front page of every site you'll ever visit including Google.

You'd atleast need to search for it or click a link so you'll actively spoil yourself.

I understand his emotion though because a very small circle had access to the script and one of them betrayed the trust he set in them and that can hurt more than anything. I don't want to be in his shoes right now finding out you were betrayed by a close friend/colleague.

Reverend January 25 2014 12:37 PM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
As far as I can tell, it's not like he's shutting down an active production and putting people out of work, he's simply chosen not to develop a script he'd written because some bugger leaked it.

I think it has less to do with spite than just plain irritation. But that's neither here nor there. It's his script, his movie and his choice whether he wants to make it or not. Though I don't like to presume to speculate on another person's rational, I imaging the whole thing would now feel somehow tainted and he's probably just lost all passion for the project.

It's not like he owes anyone this movie and it unfairly depriving them of it out of spite. It's just a script and like he said, he's got ten more where that came from.

JarodRussell January 25 2014 01:30 PM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
Quote:

Reverend wrote: (Post 9166081)
Quote:

Ancient Mariner wrote: (Post 9161182)
It certainly seems to be a purely emotional reaction. How many actual moviegoers would have really known about the script, much less the plot? And even for those who do know the plot, consider how many people see movies based on books they've read. Really, there's no rational reason to cancel (or postpone) the production. I certainly understand the emotion - the feeling of betrayal. But the decision seems ... irrational to me - even if he doesn't rule out going forward later on, after the book is published.

His script, his movie, his prerogative.

Also, let's not forget that what this amounts to is theft of personal and (I think?) intellectual property. I think anyone here would be quite rightly pissed off if someone they trusted stole from them.

Nobody stole anything. He sent out an unmarked script to actors, and they gave it to their agents. And since nothing on the script said "don't give it away" the agents gave it away, becuase that's what they do. It's normal business. Tarantino is throwing one of his temper tantrums.

JWPlatt January 25 2014 07:39 PM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9166402)
Nobody stole anything. He sent out an unmarked script to actors, and they gave it to their agents. And since nothing on the script said "don't give it away" the agents gave it away, becuase that's what they do. It's normal business. Tarantino is throwing one of his temper tantrums.

I don't support the status quo. I support holding sleazy agents up to the light for public inspection. Good for Tarantino for holding people responsible and accountable.

Robert Maxwell January 27 2014 06:44 PM

Re: Tarantino's Hateful Eight is canned
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 9166402)
Quote:

Reverend wrote: (Post 9166081)
Quote:

Ancient Mariner wrote: (Post 9161182)
It certainly seems to be a purely emotional reaction. How many actual moviegoers would have really known about the script, much less the plot? And even for those who do know the plot, consider how many people see movies based on books they've read. Really, there's no rational reason to cancel (or postpone) the production. I certainly understand the emotion - the feeling of betrayal. But the decision seems ... irrational to me - even if he doesn't rule out going forward later on, after the book is published.

His script, his movie, his prerogative.

Also, let's not forget that what this amounts to is theft of personal and (I think?) intellectual property. I think anyone here would be quite rightly pissed off if someone they trusted stole from them.

Nobody stole anything. He sent out an unmarked script to actors, and they gave it to their agents. And since nothing on the script said "don't give it away" the agents gave it away, becuase that's what they do. It's normal business. Tarantino is throwing one of his temper tantrums.

Really? Agents just give scripts away without permission? "Hey, I was approached to be in this picture. Tarantino sent me a script. You want to take a look?"
"Sure. I hope you don't mind if I copy it for all my friends, too."
"Nah, that's cool. I'm sure Quentin won't care."


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.