The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Actors' personalities vs. their character's personalities (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=236074)

desfem79 January 21 2014 04:16 AM

Actors' personalities vs. their character's personalities

Of course, it's called acting for a reason, and a character cannot be the same as an actor lol..

But then regarding Sir Patrick and Picard, well from his interviews anyhow Sir Patrick seems like an intelligent and humble fellow like Picard, and of course both have a love of Shakespeare. Though I'd imagine Sir Patrick is not as serious as Picard is lol..

It's just a weird thought I had, especially since seeing Sir Patrick interviewed on BBC Hardtalk a year ago or so.

And of course Michael Dorn is NOTHING like Worf :lol::lol:

The Old Mixer January 21 2014 04:20 AM

Re: Actors' personalities vs. their character's personalities

Michael Dorn owns a Sabre jet...that's pretty badass.

King Daniel Into Darkness January 21 2014 11:04 AM

i don't think I've ever seen Patrick Stewart play a part differently. He's Picard in Star Trek, he's telepathic wheelchair Picard in X-Men, he's youthful swashbuckling Picard in Dune... he Picard's well but maybe I've just missed all his more varied roles?

2takesfrakes January 21 2014 11:35 AM

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2864/1...fc4e6659_o.jpg

iguana_tonante January 21 2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 9149176)
i don't think I've ever seen Patrick Stewart play a part differently. He's Picard in Star Trek, he's telepathic wheelchair Picard in X-Men, he's youthful swashbuckling Picard in Dune... he Picard's well but maybe I've just missed all his more varied roles?

You'll find that his role as Sterling in Jeffrey to be definitively not-Picard (but great nonetheless).

2takesfrakes January 21 2014 11:57 AM

And Sir Patrick Stewart's contributions in LIFE FORCE were significant and memorable ...

Mister Spock January 21 2014 02:26 PM

Patrick Stewart is a lot less reserved and inhibited than Jean-Luc Picard.

Just look at his Twitter profile photo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...yrly2kj98.jpeg

BeatleJWOL January 21 2014 04:57 PM

Yes, Picard would have sent Riker to be in that ball pit...

Cyke101 January 21 2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

BeatleJWOL wrote: (Post 9149995)
Yes, Picard would have sent Riker to be in that ball pit...

And then Riker gets dragged into the ball pit by some invisible force. "Data something'sGOTME----!!!"

plynch January 21 2014 06:27 PM

Cue the only-slightly-dramatic musical wallpaper.

Mojochi January 22 2014 02:09 AM

It's pretty apparent that Sirtis isn't as reserved as her character either. In fact, they're all a fairly fun bunch of folks. It's no secret that they're the most amiable Trek cast & after the early warming up period, became the most fun working experience of any of the series

JarodRussell January 22 2014 02:20 AM

It's kinda ironic that they had fantastic on set chemistry that rarely translated to the screen.

Random_Spock January 22 2014 02:36 AM

Have to disagree. I really liked TNG, for the most part. It wasn't perfect, but it was still good to watch.

One of the really different ones, Brent Spiner. Love Data. Don't really like him that well as a person. He seems rather arrogant and snobby. Saw a Star Trek documentary awhile back that really put his personality into perspective. It really made me not like him that much. Respect him on his gun views, but not on his SOPA views. Pass. The latter just went too far.

Data on the other hand, win. Love how he tried to be human through the series. Respected him for that, it's not easy.

Hober Mallow January 23 2014 03:39 AM

Maybe it's because we all compare Stewart's performance as Picard to Shatner's sometimes hammy over-the-top performances that Stewart seems subtle and refined, but the truth is Stewart can be over-the-top as all hell. Seeing Stewart and David Suchet compare their respective versions of Shylock from "The Merchant of Venice" in an old BBC series called PLAYING SHAKESPEARE was an eye-opener for me the first time I saw it about two years ago. I'm a huge Stewart fan, but I have to admit Suchet's performance is superior, far more subtle and layered than Stewart's performance, which has all the subtlety of a heart attack.

The whole thing is online and worth checkout out here.

trekker670 January 24 2014 04:16 AM

Quote:

Random_Spock wrote: (Post 9152467)
Have to disagree. I really liked TNG, for the most part. It wasn't perfect, but it was still good to watch.

One of the really different ones, Brent Spiner. Love Data. Don't really like him that well as a person. He seems rather arrogant and snobby. Saw a Star Trek documentary awhile back that really put his personality into perspective. It really made me not like him that much. Respect him on his gun views, but not on his SOPA views. Pass. The latter just went too far.

Data on the other hand, win. Love how he tried to be human through the series. Respected him for that, it's not easy.

Politics aside, I find it really hard to read Spiner based on his interviews and convention appearances. I tend to think that the "arrogance" that he portrays is kind of an act, a form of him trying to be funny.

Comments like acting beside his "favorite actor" when he was playing both Data and Lore/Soong, often come off as arrogant, but I definitely think they're meant to be comedic.

When TNG was on the air, Spiner refused to do interviews at first, while all the other actors were happy to. (I recently read this in an interview with one of the writers for a few of the sci-fi magazines at the time). I could also see this as him being arrogant or full of himself, but it could also very well be that he's simply uncomfortable around the press, as many other actors are. He's also been much more reachable for interviews and press since TNG has ended (and even after they had done a few seasons)

That said, sunglasses inside, especially during interviews or talks, always leave me with a bad taste... :cool:

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/1/spiner347sk.jpg

Edit: This got me to searching and I found that Brent Spiner did an AMA on Reddit a while ago and think it supports the idea that he's really not arrogant, that's just his public persona/act.