The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   VOY: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=235960)

Sho January 20 2014 12:16 AM

VOY: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Exactly 16 month after the The Eternal Tide - well-received but arguably more hotly debated than previous installments - Voyager's Captain Beyer returns with the next chapter in the series, Protectors. I have a feeling it will address many of the voiced concerns in interesting ways; Ms. Beyer has demonstrated a knack for attacking such things head-on and mining them for story potential instead of passing over them.

On to you, official blurb:

Quote:

Following the destruction of four fleet vessels at the hands of the Omega Continuum, the U.S.S. Voyager and U.S.S. Demeter set course for a region of the Delta Quadrant far beyond any*thing previously explored. Captain Chakotay is determined to prove to Starfleet Command that the fleet’s ongoing mission is vital to Federation interests . . . and the key to doing so may lie in a distress call Voyager received nine years earlier but could not investigate.

Meanwhile, Vice Admiral Kathryn Janeway is recalled to the Alpha Quadrant for an evaluation period to determine her next assignment. Given the trauma she has recently endured, Admiral Akaar, Starfleet’s commander in chief, is questioning Janeway’s fitness to command the fleet. Janeway’s primary concern remains the fleet’s safety— for their mission to continue, she must find a way to secure the resources they require. But the uncertainty of her superior officers has left her powerless to act in their best interests.
In other good news, Simon & Schuster are finally putting excerpts on their website again. Here you go: http://books.simonandschuster.com/St...738543/excerpt

ryan123450 January 20 2014 01:20 AM

Re: VOY: Protectors by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

This is the first Trek Lit I've pre-orderd. I'll finally get to read one when it comes out and not weeks, months, or years later. Very excited.

Deranged Nasat January 20 2014 08:40 AM

A surprisingly lengthy excerpt, too. Very nice. :)

Greatly looking forward to this.

2of1million January 20 2014 04:57 PM

I will download this when it becomes available on ebook. I'm interested in what happens to Janeway. Not a big Voyager fan, but I like Janeway and Kirsten Beyers books are usually good. :cool:

black_dranzer January 20 2014 07:02 PM

Judging by the excerpt, I can tell this is going to be another of those books where I read through it all in one day because it's so good, then get sad immediately afterwards that I didn't stretch it out for longer :(

Ronald Held January 20 2014 07:26 PM

I am waiting for the download. I would be surprised if Janeway does not return to the Delta Quadrant before the end of the book.

star trek January 20 2014 08:48 PM

I hope Beyer doesn't end the new voyager books with Voyager being the only remaining ship of the Delta quadrant fleet. It seems too cheesy to me.

I was hoping to look forward to seeing them encounter the Kazon or Devore. How would they react when they encounter a small fleet of Federation ships instead of the one science vessel. It's a shame the ships are getting destroyed left and right.

As good as Beyer's books are I wish she wrote more about the races and civilizations Voyager encountered in the episodes. The Videans what are they like now?, What happened to the Borg rebellion led by Korok (unimatrix zero and Axom), What about the human transplanted colony?, or the world populated by groups of severed borg? There's so many obvious good and interesting things to draw on I don't know why she doesn't use it. Maybe possibly in a few years time.

Paris January 20 2014 10:14 PM

Very excited for this one. 16 months in between installments is too much :scream:. The excerpt was pretty good, especially the scene with Hugh Cambridge. He's become one of my favorite treklit original characters alongside Elias Vaughan. I can't wait to see what else is going on with my favorite trek-family. Preordered!

Thrawn January 20 2014 11:12 PM

I only read books on Kindle these days; the next week of waiting is gonna suck.

DEWLine January 21 2014 02:17 AM

The excerpt does indeed whet the appetite in a straightforward way. I like that.

Looking forward to this.

Starbreaker January 21 2014 02:51 AM

I'm so stoked. I've got a gut feeling this is going to be the best Voyager novel yet. I read everything post The Farther Shore last year in a binge.

Thrawn January 21 2014 04:44 AM

It would be hard to top Children of the Storm, which is a top 3 all time Trek novel for me (with Wildfire and Raise the Dawn). But I'd certainly love to be proven wrong :)

JD January 22 2014 02:12 AM

Quote:

star trek wrote: (Post 9146428)

What happened to the Borg rebellion led by Korok (unimatrix zero and Axom),

I'm pretty sure this was addressed in Greater Than the Sum
Quote:

or the world populated by groups of severed borg?
This was addressed in The Eternal Tide.

star trek January 22 2014 06:17 AM

You may be right. It's been a long time since I read the books.

DEWLine January 23 2014 03:51 AM

I'll be picking this one up tomorrow or Friday, if my bookseller's straight with me. And they usually are. ;-)