The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Name your imponderables for Star Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=235636)

Robbiesan January 16 2014 07:02 AM

Name your imponderables for Star Trek

There are always confounders in scripts, things that happen over and over, and make you smack your head...why oh why?

Here's my first one:

Why in the world have they not locked out the shuttlepods with serious safeguards so they cannot be stolen. It's pretty hard to lock out a door, for maintenance reasons, for if jammed or a power outage, then it's pretty tough to gain access. But it only makes sense to have multiple layers of security protocol, perhaps a bioscan of officers for admittance, or something even better.

BoredShipCapt'n January 17 2014 02:20 PM

Re: Name your imponderables for Star Trek

"And the tribbles had nothing to do with it?"

Kirk has just gotten Arne Darvin to admit that he poisoned the grain. Why is he so interested in exonerating the tribbles? :rofl:

(Edit: I just realized that this thread is supposed to be for "things that happen over and over." In my defense, I can say that Kirk asks this every time I watch the episode.)

USS Triumphant January 17 2014 06:37 PM

The holodeck is primarily an entertainment device. Why does it have no external main power cable?

Robbiesan January 17 2014 07:11 PM

If Vulcans follow the path of logic and controlled emotions as dictated by Surak, then why do they often come across as angry and hostile and not serene?

Shawnster January 17 2014 07:33 PM

We, in this barbaric time of the 20th/21st century know to put in stairwells in addition to elevators. Why is there no stairs/ladders access on any of the starship bridges?

maneth January 17 2014 07:44 PM

Why do they go out on potentially dangerous missions without any kind of protective clothing or equipment apart from phasers, certainly in the 24th century? (They remedied this somewhat in ENT.)

Why do the computer consoles require such strong voltages that they're apt to give off sparks at the least excuse?

Why are there no seatbelts in the shuttles?

urbandefault January 17 2014 08:52 PM

Maybe this fits here, maybe not.

Why is it, in The Enemy Within, that when Evil Kirk materializes in the transporter room his tunic has no delta insignia?

Robbiesan January 17 2014 09:14 PM

Does Geordi LaForge in effect have the ability to see everyone naked?

Do Andorian children don mittens on their antenae?

I can't comment on Lt. Data's abilities given he's been programmed in multiple methods of sexual techniques and what that means.....not without breaking the rules of the forum.

King Daniel Into Darkness January 17 2014 09:46 PM

Mine are all in my sig:)

Robbiesan January 17 2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 9134464)
Mine are all in my sig:)

Ugh, sorry I thought "imponderables" was a good original word choice until I saw your sig. I hope I didn't step on your toes. Going to check out your site now.

King Daniel Into Darkness January 17 2014 10:04 PM

No worries. I didn't even come up with the name, it was former TBBS'er Jenee. I hope you enjoy my vids!

Robbiesan January 17 2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 9134518)
No worries. I didn't even come up with the name, it was former TBBS'er Jenee. I hope you enjoy my vids!

The first one was genuinely funny! :lol:

David Gerrolds, the writer of the Trouble with Tribbles, wrote an early Star Trek commentary. His imponderable was "Is it really true Klingons fart in airlocks on purpose?"

EDIT: Actually the first one is very helpful! Your calculation for the Voyager incident has been a really troublesome aspect of making a galactic map that would be accurately scaled. I'd been wanting to make a complete map for the mod in my sig (it's for GalCiv2, Twilight of the Arnor, a computer strategic war game. Anyway, since the premise of Voyager was knocking the crew so far off, it meant it was logically impossible to place that quadrant on the same map.

Maybe now it really isn't though canonically it is....???

Everyone else can ignore this tangental conversation. We return to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Dale Sams January 17 2014 10:29 PM

How the hell can they sleep on those beds? And C'mon. The Captain doesn't get a bigger bed?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XNPD380IpB..._Obsession.JPG

Robbiesan January 17 2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 9134602)
How the hell can they sleep on those beds? And C'mon. The Captain doesn't get a bigger bed?

I don't know how it is today in the US Navy, but at one time, sailors actually shared beds. They took shifts and one sailor used the bunk bed, then another got up to do their shift, and switched out. Hard to believe, but essential due to space limitations.

I actually saw some of those style mattresses once at an old conference center. It's hard to believe anyone would have chosen them at all.

teacake January 18 2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 9134602)

And they always lie down on their backs, on what looks like a rock hard pillow.