The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Where are those big windows on the Enterprise model on the set? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=235339)

DS9forever January 12 2014 06:45 PM

Where are those big windows on the Enterprise model on the set?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File...terprise-D.jpg

The windows seem to be too big.

vulcan redshirt January 12 2014 07:27 PM

Re: Where are those big windows on the Enterprise model on the set?

What's also odd is that they seem to effectively be the floor, unless the artificial gravity direction is different in those parts of the ship.

Could they perhaps be windows for the oft-rumoured cetacean crew members quarters / workspaces?

Takeru January 13 2014 12:37 PM

What's wrong with windows on the floor? They don't take up that much room when compared to the windows on the upper decks, I would love it if my quarters had bottom windows. I'd be willing to trade a third of my floor for a feature like that. Maybe the quarters are even a little bit bigger to make up for the lost floor space.

Shawnster January 13 2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

vulcan redshirt wrote: (Post 9114115)
What's also odd is that they seem to effectively be the floor, unless the artificial gravity direction is different in those parts of the ship.

Could they perhaps be windows for the oft-rumoured cetacean crew members quarters / workspaces?

Would a cetacean need brightly lit quarters? Their natural environment deep in an ocean is generally a lot darker.

trekker670 January 13 2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Shawnster wrote: (Post 9117370)
Would a cetacean need brightly lit quarters? Their natural environment deep in an ocean is generally a lot darker.

On Earth deep ocean creatures are adapted to a lack of sunlight, they're also not eligible to be crew members, since they're not intelligent. Who knows what cetacean lifeforms from other worlds would require.

Doug Otte January 13 2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

DS9forever wrote: (Post 9113983)

Too big for what?

The answer to your question is: they weren't on any set. They were never seen internally.

Taranis January 13 2014 05:43 PM

perhaps they could be a gallery/view port around the Captains Yacht. and those windows giving an awesome
view to launch crews
http://www.neutralzone.de/database/F..._Calypso03.jpg
Probert Designs

jimbotron January 13 2014 07:53 PM

There's a lot about Probert's design and original 6-footer that never got utilized in the show. His idea for the saucer edge, the arboretum ceiling, some of the phaser strips, the captain's yacht, and the main shuttlebay*. What was the point of adding the shuttlebay to the design if they only used the ones on the neck? Then there are things that you can't find on the Enterprise model. So the neck has two shuttlebays - what about the cargo bays? Where are they?

*I think the main bay was used twice during the show- Cause and Effect and BOBW Part 2. The interior layout is never seen or known.

Shawnster January 13 2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

trekker670 wrote: (Post 9117640)
Quote:

Shawnster wrote: (Post 9117370)

On Earth deep ocean creatures are adapted to a lack of sunlight, they're also not eligible to be crew members, since they're not intelligent. Who knows what cetacean lifeforms from other worlds would require.

Physics is physics, thought. Light will only penetrate so deeply into a liquid body.

Now, alien cetacean creatures may live more in the shallow end of the ocean, who knows. But, then, would they fit the definition of cetacean as opposed to amphibian?

Shat Happens January 15 2014 02:03 AM

Quote:

Takeru wrote: (Post 9117364)
What's wrong with windows on the floor? They don't take up that much room when compared to the windows on the upper decks, I would love it if my quarters had bottom windows. I'd be willing to trade a third of my floor for a feature like that. Maybe the quarters are even a little bit bigger to make up for the lost floor space.

why, you think you couldnt step on them?

USS Triumphant January 15 2014 02:23 AM

Quote:

trekker670 wrote: (Post 9117640)
On Earth deep ocean creatures are adapted to a lack of sunlight, they're also not eligible to be crew members, since they're not intelligent.

Not intelligent? Dolphins serve in the Navy NOW. Veteran minesweeping dolphins are currently being interviewed for the National Archives about their experiences - seriously: interviewed. And the Indian government recently banned keeping Dolphins in captivity for shows, and issued this statement:

Whereas cetaceans in general are highly intelligent and sensitive, and various scientists who have researched dolphin behavior have suggested that the unusually high intelligence; as compared to other animals means that dolphins should be seen as non-human persons and as such should have their own specific rights and is morally unacceptable to keep them captive for entertainment purpose.

Given more advanced tech and further research, I find it entirely possible that the "cetacean ops" section could be populated by alien and/or Terran cetaceans.

(Sorry if this seems overly defensive, but as far as I know, they aren't on TrekBBS yet ;) , so I felt the need to speak up for them.)

Start Wreck January 15 2014 12:25 PM

How does one interview a dolphin?

Robert Comsol January 15 2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Taranis wrote: (Post 9118072)
perhaps they could be a gallery/view port around the Captains Yacht. and those windows giving an awesome view to launch Crews.

If I'm not mistaken that would mostly be the window section at the bow right ahead of the Captain's Yacht. Probably some means of visual approach control.

Bob

Taranis January 15 2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Robert Comsol wrote: (Post 9125860)
Quote:

Taranis wrote: (Post 9118072)
perhaps they could be a gallery/view port around the Captains Yacht. and those windows giving an awesome view to launch Crews.

If I'm not mistaken that would mostly be the window section at the bow right ahead of the Captain's Yacht. Probably some means of visual approach control.

Bob

yes.. I go with that.

at least that's the idea I got from the painting.
would have made a great scene if ever show of the Yacht departing..

Ar-Pharazon January 15 2014 01:06 PM

The windows inside the phaser ring on the bottom are set inside recesses and look to be angled differently than the ones outside the phaser ring.

My question is, are the windows in the center (the larger ones in front of NCC-1701-D) supposed to be 10 Forward? If they are, 10 Forward was closed at the time.