The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Productions (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Star Trek Phase II - Kitumba (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=235006)

Plum January 8 2014 07:15 AM

Star Trek Phase II - Kitumba

I was a little surprised I didn't find a link to this here on TrekBBS. So ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejyVZKcsn3w

This stuff really LOOKS wonderful, the production value, and editing is terrific!

Am I posting this in the wrong place?

MauriceNavidad January 8 2014 07:21 AM

Re: Star Trek Phase II - Kitumba

It's in the Fan Productions forum, along with all the other fanfilms. Here's the thread (link).

Botany Bay January 8 2014 07:52 PM

Thanks, Plum, I'd forgotten about these guys.

Well worth a look guys - I'd hate to think what it cost to put this together. Amazing visual effects for a fan film. Music cues will have you thinking you're watching TOS all over again.

There are also some cute touches added to the sets etc that hint that the TMP-era is on the horizon. Very nice. Well done to all the Phase 2 team.

Darkwing January 8 2014 09:58 PM

So, has anyone done a comparison between the Phase II version filmed and the original script? A discussion of that would fit this board.

JT Perfecthair January 8 2014 10:24 PM

Well if we are looking for a way to discuss Kitumba in the TOS forum, its the first time I have ever seen the gold command tunic gold/green shade transformation happen. I've always been in the "Kirks shirt is clearly gold in color" camp, whereas I know from research that in fact it had an avacadoish hue to it. In Kitumba, its gold in the transporter room and on the bridge, but green in the briefing room sequence.

BillJ January 8 2014 10:36 PM

I got halfway through it and was really bored. Though I'm sure I'll finish it at some point. Beautiful to look at, it made too many unnecessary side trips (Peter Kirk, Karg?).

Plus Kirk seems awfully combative right off the bat, for no real reason.

Plum January 9 2014 01:57 AM

Quote:

Maurice wrote: (Post 9098347)
It's in the Fan Productions forum, along with all the other fanfilms. Here's the thread (link).

Oops. My bad.

MauriceNavidad January 9 2014 03:58 AM

I think it's a valid topic for this forum if we're discussing the original unfilmed Phase II script in comparison, but if we're just going to critique the episode on its own merits it's probably best to just chime in on the existing discussion over in Fan Productions.

Has anyone here read the original 2 parter? I have it.

Harvey January 9 2014 04:52 AM

I believe I've read the summary in the Reeves-Stevens book, but not read the teleplay.

1001001 January 9 2014 05:34 AM

Moving to Fan Productions. They can merge if appropriate.

MauriceNavidad January 9 2014 05:38 AM

We can fix that lol

Captain Randy Hall January 9 2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 9100543)
I got halfway through it and was really bored. Though I'm sure I'll finish it at some point. Beautiful to look at, it made too many unnecessary side trips (Peter Kirk, Karg?).

Kargh is apparently their "go-to" Klingon, and that's not a bad thing. William Campbell was supposed to pay a recurring character in Classic Trek.

And yeah, Kirk is combative -- but then, he's going deep into Klingon territory and finds out he'll be betrayed by the Kitumba as well.

:bolian:

geneo January 10 2014 05:41 PM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 9100543)

I agree about the boring part, near the end I almost fell asleep. It was one of the most boring scenes I have ever seen in their films. The special effects I thought were fantastic though and it is a good concept on the whole.

PattyW January 11 2014 04:14 AM

re: comparison to the original writer's drafts, I'm up for that with anyone wanting to discuss. I tried to start it early on the other topic but no one seemed interested.

We got the two part draft from Jon Povill, along with some other Phase II scripts. I am not sure it is printed anywhere, or is on line. Though I have seen people mention the Phase II book.

Maybe there is somewhere I can post the original drafts. Any ideas?

Harvey January 11 2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Maurice wrote: (Post 9102277)
We can fix that lol

Well then... ;)