The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Ruskin Passes (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=234316)

Grant December 31 2013 06:04 AM

Joseph Ruskin has passed

Joseph Ruskin has passed away at age 89. He or course played Galt in "Gamesters...." and he played in DS9, Insurection, Voyager and Enterprise.

He played Cardassian, Klingon, Suliban, Sona, Vulcan and most importantly whatever race Galt was.

His genre credits are innumerable including live action and V.O. work on Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Wild, Wild, West, Night Gallery, Time Tunnel, Mission Impossible, Hitchcock Presents and Hour, Land of the Giants, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and I could type forever and not finish. He acted from 1955 to 2006. 151 credits to his resume' and a voice that cannot be forgot once heard.

Rest in Peace Mr Ruskin---excellent, a most excellent career.

Sir Rhosis December 31 2013 01:37 PM

Re: Joseph Ruskin has passed

A distinguished actor. RIP.

Sir Rhosis

bbailey861 December 31 2013 02:38 PM

89 years isn't too shabby. R.I.P.

foxhot December 31 2013 10:24 PM

Of all of TOS's villiains, he and Chekov's shooter from SPECTRE OF THE GUN had the scariest stares.

But as good character actors can, he could play roles so differently that most might not recognize him from part to part. There was an episode of HILL STREET BLUES in which Ruskin was slammed against a wall by one of the show's relatively wimpier characters (played by Joe Spano). It was years before I realized it was also Ruskin. Taken out of context, it's funny: Galt from Triskelion got wall-slammed by little Henry Goldblume.:cool:

TrekToday December 31 2013 11:00 PM

Ruskin Passes

Joseph Ruskin, a character actor with half-a-dozen appearances in Star Trek episodes, has passed away. The actor, aged eighty-nine, died of natural causes. Born Joseph Schlafman in Haverhill, Massachusetts, Ruskin was a World War II Navy veteran. He studied drama at what is now Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pa. Ruskin appeared in the original series […]

More...

Keith1701 January 1 2014 01:49 AM

Re: Ruskin Passes

Rest in Peace

BoredShipCapt'n January 1 2014 02:28 AM

Galt. :( RIP.

Coincidentally, I was just reading about him this morning.

Grant January 2 2014 05:35 AM

Sad to hear it. RIP

Shaka Zulu January 2 2014 07:37 AM

His characters on Star Trek were great, and it was amazing how he was hired back to play the people he did in the Berman/Braga era Star Trek TV shows (I would have loved to see him as Ming The Merciless in a Flash Gordon movie/TV show, just for the heck of it!)

Rest in peace, Joe.

Chris_Johnston January 2 2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

BoredSantaClaus wrote: (Post 9071998)
Galt. :( RIP.

Coincidentally, I was just reading about him this morning.

You want to hear about a spooky coincidence?
Here's my little story about Mr. Ruskin, that I posted yesterday...

RIP Joseph Ruskin | Observation Deck | io9

Quote:

Yesterday morning, I was watching the third episode of The Six Million Dollar Man, called "Operation Firefly", while I was eating breakfast. (Got the Season 1 DVDs for Christmas!)

Playing the villain was a guy I recognized, because he'd been at every New Year's party put on by my Dad's best friend (Everybody being buddies from their days at Carnegie Tech).

I didn't remember or look up the guy's name — I just went, "Hey, I know that guy from those New Year's parties!" and moved on.

When I woke up at about 10:00 last night, I checked "The Latest" at CNN.com, and saw "Actor Joseph Ruskin dies". I went "Who the hell's Joseph Ruskin?", so I clicked on the link — but they didn't show a picture of him, just a montage of "People we lost in 2013", so I had to Google him...
OH MY GOD! It's that same guy!

And to make it even weirder: My first memory of watching Star Trek as a child was of his character, Galt, Master Thrall of the planet Triskelion, with his glowing eyes and creepy voice...

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/l...pse0e3ac25.jpg

All those years seeing this guy on New Year's, and I never recognized him from Star Trek!
Add on top of all that, the fact of his death being announced on New Year's Eve... [cue Twilight Zone theme]

Chris_Johnston January 2 2014 07:02 PM

Deleted

1001001 January 2 2014 07:32 PM

Sorry about the look of things, I merged the two threads on this same subject. Those of you who posted in both will be represented twice here.

:)