The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Future of Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Captain of the next Trek series (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=234049)

USS Triumphant December 28 2013 09:50 PM

Captain of the next Trek series

How about a woman as Captain? That hasn't been done before as the lead of a series, has it? I mean, there was that one series that had some woman who liked to sit in her quarters and sulk for months on end and that was addicted to holodeck romances, but I mean an ACTUAL woman being an ACTUAL captain.

:devil:

Merry Christmas December 28 2013 09:57 PM

Re: Captain of the next Trek series

Admiral Alynna Nechayev as a young (and probably hot) thirty something woman, a new Captain on her way up.

Even then a ball breaker.

Set it about twenty-five years before TNG.

:)

USS Triumphant December 28 2013 10:02 PM

I prefer to go forward to times we haven't seen, rather than backward, but aside from that, I like the way you think. :techman:

surak-toc December 29 2013 12:45 AM

a woman captain yes, but what species, Vulcan, cardasian, bajoran maybe

USS Triumphant December 29 2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

surak-toc wrote: (Post 9061081)
a woman captain yes, but what species, Vulcan, cardasian, bajoran maybe

Human. As much as I and much of the rest of the fandom might totally love a show with an alien captain, to appeal to the mass audience, I think the main character needs to be human so they can identify well with them. The only way it works otherwise is if one of the other characters is the main human "me-in-the-show" character, like if the main cast were below-decks crew and the bridge crew were seen more rarely - which is something else we haven't had and probably won't, even though some of us would find it interesting.

BillJ December 29 2013 02:55 AM

Might as well go with a transsexual, Klingon/Tholian mix. That way we cover all the bases...

Count December 29 2013 11:47 AM

I think whatever the gender is, we really need to see the true Starfleet officer appear as the next captain.

Sure we've had the tactician (sisko), the cowboy (kirk), the diplomat (picard), the lunatic (janeway), the bumbling fool (archer) but the one thing we've never actually seen but always heard about is the Clever Starfleet officer.

Supposedly, the best and the brightest graduate from the academy, and the very top are the ones who get the good postings, so why is it that we've never seen an officer who can simply outwit his opponents or negotiate an agreement with nothing but guile and personality alone? No weapons, no equipment, no plan and still come out on top?

Sure in limited ways we've seen Picard pull this off, or Janeway stumble through blindly until it appears she did something smart, but we've never actually seen a clever Starfleet officer, let alone a captain. I don't want to say it simply to have a crossover reference, but we really need a Dr Who like "The Doctor" character to be lead captain on the next trek series and not just have someone who's able to scheme their way to a solution not be crossed off as a racial stereotype like the Ferengi or the Romulans. Intelligence is not a sign of nefarious intention.

Merry Christmas December 29 2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Count wrote: (Post 9062611)
so why is it that we've never seen an officer who can simply outwit his opponents or negotiate an agreement with nothing but guile and personality alone? No weapons, no equipment, no plan and still come out on top?

That's a description of Kirk.

:)

Dantrek December 29 2013 10:32 PM

As long as its in the prime universe I would be happy. I had hoped for a Captain Riker series on the Titan but I think hes a little long in the tooth for that show and at this point he should be Admiral Riker. A new crew of the Enterprise-E would be nice too. I dont know why the ships have to be constantly destroyed. The original 1701 had 2 Captains prior to Kirk. I love that Gene wanted to give the ship history.

Hober Mallow December 31 2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Dantrek wrote: (Post 9064057)
I love that Gene wanted to give the ship history.

I think his primary interest was in saving money, but it did result in giving the ship some history. :)

Relayer1 December 31 2013 01:29 AM

Parminder Nagra.

Sindatur December 31 2013 04:34 AM

Captain Molly O'Brien, with Daddy's competence/skills and Mommy's looks and fiery personality played by Yunjim Kim (Or Captain Yoshi could be cool too, played by Daniel Dae Kim :drool:)

C.E. Evans December 31 2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Dantrek wrote: (Post 9064057)
As long as its in the prime universe I would be happy. I had hoped for a Captain Riker series on the Titan but I think hes a little long in the tooth for that show and at this point he should be Admiral Riker. A new crew of the Enterprise-E would be nice too. I dont know why the ships have to be constantly destroyed. The original 1701 had 2 Captains prior to Kirk. I love that Gene wanted to give the ship history.

I always kind of imagined that the Enterprise-B was perhaps in service longer than any other starship with the name and had four or five different captains and crews during her time. I also think she was decommissioned rather than destroyed.

But I do think that if Trek returns to TV, it will be with a brand-new ship (with all the latest new technology) unless there's really a conscious effort by its creator(s) for the ship to have some history.

In hindsight, though, if the next ship is the Enterprise and continues the NCC-1701 lineage forward, her history will be all the previous ships with the same name and number. From a certain point of view, every Enterprise that has borne the NCC-1701 registry might be considered the same vessel, continuing a history that began with Kirk's ship.

dauntless December 31 2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 9068134)
Parminder Nagra.

Or Bruce Campbell.

urbandefault December 31 2013 02:12 PM

The next woman captain? Harry Kim.

It was bound to come up eventually. :lol: