The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=233959)

bbjeg December 27 2013 01:56 AM

What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
TNG's O'Brien had one of the most simplest (and mechanically replaceable) position on the ship. Wait to be called, and then teleport. It would be cruel of Starfleet to make a man sit in his room by himself for a shift, where he may not be called at all. Today, people who have remedial jobs like that, where they have to wait periods before being able to work (like help desks), they're allowed to listen to music.

Assuming he could put any application/program on his console, what do you think he'd put on there?

I say other than your current social media and chat room access, O'Brien has a RTS game on there. Maybe Midevil or Alamo based. He met Keiko on the Enterprise, maybe he has a few ebooks about Asian culture. He definitely has a few technical readout programs (access to the newest specs and whatnot).

Oh, and Klingon Digest.

JirinPanthosa December 27 2013 06:04 AM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
Virtual tennis.

Maurice December 27 2013 06:24 AM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
Pong. You just move your hand up and down over the sliders. ;)

Lance December 27 2013 07:28 AM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5536/1...73123f2a_z.jpg

COMMANDER RIKER: Okay Chief, we're ready. Energize.

CHIEF O'BRIEN: Just one moment Commander. I've almost taken the enemy base.

jimbotron December 27 2013 07:12 PM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
Doom, but modded to swap out the demons for Cardassians. :devil:

bbjeg December 28 2013 04:04 PM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
^O'Brien's definitely a modder.

Good one too Lance. :techman:

He could be watching Hulu or Netflix or something.

Gul Re'jal December 28 2013 07:22 PM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
ST Away Team :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTDgvojxnAI

bbjeg December 28 2013 07:37 PM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
He probably runs a blog from there.

O'Brien's blog #12 - A little more than a two second warning to teleport someone from an emergency situation would be nice.

kitik December 28 2013 07:49 PM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
I assumed he spent his time reading technical manuals about Cardassian space stations.

bbjeg December 28 2013 09:28 PM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
^Yeah, getting ready for that transfer.

Makarov December 28 2013 10:59 PM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
That's the thing about Star Trek, everyone aside from the bridge crew and senior officers must have a really boring job. Imagine being a security guy posted to stand outside a door or something.

cal_nevari December 30 2013 06:37 AM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
Quote:

Makarov wrote: (Post 9060805)
That's the thing about Star Trek, everyone aside from the bridge crew and senior officers must have a really boring job. Imagine being a security guy posted to stand outside a door or something.

See Bob at dinner. "Hey Bob, how'd your shift go? Any excitement?"

Bob snorts. "How's this for 'excitement'? About four hours in, an Ensign tried to get in the suite I was guarding. Had no authorization. I was hoping I'd get to use my stunner on him, but when I pressed him for why he wanted in, turned out he was just on the wrong deck, didn't want in at all thought he was at his quarters. Sorted that out and he was on his way. And that's about it. Hey Jim, pass that salt, will ya? These replicated chicken tenders taste even blander than usual."

USS Triumphant December 31 2013 01:54 PM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
Quote:

Bearded Bloke wrote: (Post 9055372)
Today, people who have remedial jobs like that,

I think you mean "menial". O'Brien doesn't strike me as needing to have education repeated because he didn't get it the first time. :p

And as I said in the thread about the comic, I imagine O'Brien has more responsibilities than we see. Completely aside from the imagined duties I added to him over there, we know he oversees maintaining and calibrating the transporters because he mentioned it on a couple of occasions, even if we never/rarely saw him doing it.

But, I imagine he still finds time to sneak in his love of Eugenics War-era movies and tv shows, stuff like "Get Him To The Greek", "Stargate: Atlantis", and "The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns". ;)

bbjeg December 31 2013 04:57 PM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
Quote:

USS Triumphant wrote: (Post 9069493)
Quote:

Bearded Bloke wrote: (Post 9055372)
Today, people who have remedial jobs like that,

I think you mean "menial". O'Brien doesn't strike me as needing to have education repeated because he didn't get it the first time. :p ...

Oops, I did.

Quote:

cal_nevari wrote: (Post 9065473)
... "Hey Bob, how'd your shift go? Any excitement?"

Bob snorts. "How's this for 'excitement'? About four hours in, an Ensign tried to get in the suite I was guarding. Had no authorization. I was hoping I'd get to use my stunner on him, but when I pressed him for why he wanted in, turned out he was just on the wrong deck, didn't want in at all thought he was at his quarters. Sorted that out and he was on his way. And that's about it. Hey Jim, pass that salt, will ya? These replicated chicken tenders taste even blander than usual."

Good one. :techman:

Cascades January 1 2014 08:05 PM

Re: What apps was O'Brien playing on his panel?
 
Maybe he just turns off the anti-gravity in the room and sleeps :3


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.