The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   "If it appeared on screen, it's canon." THIS is canon?!? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=233611)

Fuzzy Modem December 23 2013 04:26 AM

"If it appeared on screen, it's canon." THIS is canon?!?

^It appeared on TV :p

Push The Button December 23 2013 09:12 AM

Re: "If it appeared on screen, it's canon." THIS is canon?!?

Is there supposed to be a picture here? If so, I can't see it.

scotpens December 23 2013 09:25 AM

^^ It's a YouTube video. Try this link.

Push The Button December 23 2013 09:38 AM

OK, I watched it. Scotty appeared to be in Enterprise D's engineering section, for some reason.

I'd say that this isn't canon, despite being "on screen", since it is a commercial and not from a series episode or movie.

ChristopherPike December 23 2013 10:38 AM

Star Trek VI also used the same Engineering set. Both that and V, the transporter room with a little redressing. A partitioned off area window between the operator and the pad. Things like that. Engineering as it looked in TNG mostly though. They avoided showing that area with the table-top console, Geordi held briefings around.

That British ad must've cost a bit, even back in 1989/90. Energy companies are probably the only business that would've been able to afford it!

King Daniel Into Darkness December 23 2013 10:43 AM

I loved this commercial as a kid. Modern ones just don't have these levels of awesome.
Quote:

Push The Button wrote: (Post 9043897)
OK, I watched it. Scotty appeared to be in Enterprise D's engineering section, for some reason.

They should have given Scotty a cool control desk like this when they reused the TNG engine room in STVI.

Dukhat December 23 2013 09:12 PM

Lol, I'd never seen that commercial before. Hilarious!

And yeah, it's totally canon ;)

Bad Thoughts December 24 2013 12:31 AM

Yep, Shatner had boobs. It's canon.

PicardSpeedo December 24 2013 12:46 AM

'A Night in Sickbay' and 'Threshold' also appeared on screen, as did all of Star Trek: Nemesis, and we're forced to accept them as canon. Sucks, but that's the way it works.

Richard Baker December 24 2013 04:49 PM

What bothers me the most is having obvious errors appear on film, becoming canon (ST5 showing far too many decks in the turbolift escape scene is the worst)

King Daniel Into Darkness December 24 2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Richard Baker wrote: (Post 9048019)
What bothers me the most is having obvious errors appear on film, becoming canon (ST5 showing far too many decks in the turbolift escape scene is the worst)

Take a look at the 3 videos linked in my sig. Incorrect deck numbering is the least of Trek's worries (for me it's Voyager's warp 9.975 being a LOT slower than the old Enterprise's warp 8.4)

Those in charge of Trek treat it as broad strokes, not with any one part as absolute fact. It's not the details, but the jist that matters.

Nerys Myk December 25 2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Canon is just the individual installments. While STV is canon, the deck count doesn't have to be. Especially if a later or previous installment says otherwise.

C.E. Evans December 25 2013 05:50 PM

I think more than anything, canon serves to prevent things produced off-screen (like books, comics, reference manuals, etc.) from trumping things produced onscreen. While many of these "expanded universe" works can be fun, they really shouldn't be considered more valid than the actual movies and TV shows they're based on.

E-DUB December 25 2013 05:54 PM

What about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eM1OSNGLwI

Robert Comsol December 25 2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Unless the Enterprise-A had, indeed, been put together by monkeys (as Scotty suspected) that scene can't possibly be canon for multiple known reasons
  • The numbering of the decks always starts at the top (Bridge) and then continues down, not the other way around
  • The Enterprise-A doesn't have that many decks
  • There are no (turbo lift) cars in that shaft, although we see both ends of the shaft
Obviously a set built for a never shot scene within the Earth Spacedock space station. ;)

Bob