The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Gaming (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Good FPS Games? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=233414)

Frontier December 19 2013 10:56 PM

Good FPS Games?

Looking for suggestions of any good FPS (first person shooter) games out there. Preferably recent ones.

Especially if anyone remembers games like RTCW, RTCW: Enemy Territory, and knows of ones like them (doubtful).

Anyone play the latest Battlefield? How is it? Any good? I played BF:BC2 for a while. Then when BF3 came out I literally played it 3 times and never looked back. So I've been quite hesitant to spend $50 on BF4.

I've tried some smaller indie games, not taken with any of them.

Actually downloading RTCW:ET again, even if it is 10 years old it's a hell of a game.

Owain Taggart December 19 2013 11:57 PM

Re: Good FPS Games?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a good one if you haven't already played it. It's a great game that was criticized for having boss fights that didn't take advantage of the different playstyles, but they've since come out with a new version of the game that fixes those problems. It's one of my favourite FPS games ever. The story is quite good with quite a bit of depth to it.

Solstice December 20 2013 05:30 AM

Yeah, DXHR is a good choice.

The Section 8 games are also pretty good. If you just like straight-up shootin' stuff, try Painkiller and/or Serious Sam.

There's also a new Rise of the Triad which is fun, although kinda mediocre.

clint g December 20 2013 09:46 PM

Another vote for Deus Ex Human Revolution. The directors cut just came out so you can get it with some extra content.

I've recently got into Battlefield 4 and I'm having a blast with it. I hear alot of bitching about the game crashing and people having issues with it but none of that has affected me. Keep i in mind though if you're considering the game.

Borderlands 2 is pretty awesome and can be got for very cheap on steam. If you're looking for some multi-player co-op fun you really can't do much better.

Call of Duty Ghosts sucks. Avoid that turd at all costs.

Bio-Shock Infinite was pretty fun, if disappointing. It's pretty cheap now though and worth considering.

Frontier December 21 2013 03:24 AM

Forgot to mention I'm mostly into the on-line multi-player aspect of such. Does Dues Ex sport such?

I've actually re-installed RTCW:ET (again) and been playing it. It's 10 years old and there are still more people playing it than some other FPS that are a year old, lol.

It is awfully dated, though. But the nostalgia is fun.

They're making a new RTCW game for this summer, hope it's better than the last one in 2009 that was horrible...

Owain Taggart December 21 2013 04:50 AM

No, I don't think it does. It's mainly a story-based FPS. What you do get though is an FPS/RPG with a great story.

Frontier December 22 2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Owain Taggart wrote: (Post 9037616)
No, I don't think it does. It's mainly a story-based FPS. What you do get though is an FPS/RPG with a great story.

Damn. For me half the fun is the people. Even if there are obnoxious ignorant 12 year olds telling me to blow them. :rolleyes::lol::eek: