The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   your favorite standalone novel? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=233200)

Smitty December 17 2013 06:17 AM

your favorite standalone novel?

Anyone interested in sharing their favorite standalone novel in series (TOS, TNG, VOY, etc)

There are lots of great trilogies (destiny) and miniseries (vanguard) out there but what about those that are standalone?

To start, mine are:

TNG: immortal coil
TOS: prime directive

otomo December 17 2013 07:45 AM

Re: your favorite standalone novel?

Though it's been un-continuitied by so much, I thought Federation really was impactful as a book. After that, The Captain's Daughter, though I may like that more because my mom brought it home for me on a sick day when I was really young and it's a fond memory.

King Daniel Into Darkness December 17 2013 11:13 AM

100% standalones only (not including some of my favourites like Final Frontier or Dreadnought which because part of a loose duology later with Best Destiny and Battle Stations)
A few have been left quite far out of continuity by later Trek canon and/or the novelverse (case in point: Federation, which was totally contradicted by First Contact, and The Final Reflection, which is about very different Klingons to the ones in TNG, DS9 and ENT)

TOS:

Crossroad

The Final Reflection

Prime Directive

The Time Trap

Ishmael

The Pandora Principle

Federation (TNG crossover)

TNG:

Dark Mirror

Q-Squared

The Devil's Heart

DS9:

Fallen Heroes

A Stitch in Time

The 34th Rule

VOY:

The Escape

Echoes

Battle Lines

ENT:

Rosetta

Mimi December 17 2013 02:00 PM

The Neverending Sacrifice. It a really unexpected novel, and I ended up enjoying it immensely.

I also enjoyed the really tragic short story 'A Gutted World'.

zarkon December 17 2013 02:03 PM

TOS : The Final Reflection
TNG : Q-Squared
DS9 : 34th rule
NF : Once Burned

Also, "Federation" doesn't truly belong to any one era but deserves to be on any "best of" list for me. "Where Sea Meet Sky" is a great pike book, and the six book "Errand of Vengance/Errand of Fury" is my favourite mini-series.

Reanok December 17 2013 02:30 PM

TOS Uhura's song ,Wounded sky ,Spock's world.Corona A choice of Catastrophies TNG Imzadi Battle of betazed Brinkmanship . Ds9 Emmissary&Unity Favorite son Ds9 .The millenum trilogy. ENT Rosetta & The xindi novel by J.M.Dillard The Good that men do also The Rise of the federation book1. Voy Children of the storm.

Darth Duck December 17 2013 02:43 PM

The Final Reflection, hands down.

CaptPapa December 17 2013 04:02 PM

The Vulcan Academy Murders is my favorite; closely followed by Spock's World.

Christopher December 17 2013 04:11 PM

^The Vulcan Academy Murders isn't entirely a standalone, though, since it has a direct sequel, The IDIC Epidemic. Or is that too strict a definition a "standalone?"

Taranis December 17 2013 04:57 PM

the ones I enjoyed

Strangers from the Sky
Vendetta
Best Destiny
Enterprise: The First Adventure
The Vulcan Academy Murders
Vendetta

Ovation December 17 2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Darth Duck wrote: (Post 9023530)
The Final Reflection, hands down.

Same here. I've read about 100 or so (have about 90 of them, in a box somewhere) since the early 80s and this is the only one for which I recall the title instantly and remember in any great detail (and I read it when it was first published). One of my biggest disappointments about Klingons on-screen after this book came out is how different (and inferior, to me) they have been compared to those in this book.

E-DUB December 17 2013 07:24 PM

Another vote for "Federation".

EliyahuQeoni December 17 2013 08:52 PM

Off the top of my head and in no particular order:
  • Federation
  • Final Frontier (It had a sequel, but I count it as a stand alone because that's how it was originally published)
  • Prime Directive
  • Imzadi

Cyfa December 17 2013 10:57 PM

TOS: I can't decide between The Pandora Principle, Final Frontier or Prime Directive?
DS9: The Never Ending Sacrifice
TLE: Serpents Among the Ruins
And one that doesn't really fit anywhere: DTI: Watching the Clock

Skywalker December 17 2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 9023767)
^The Vulcan Academy Murders isn't entirely a standalone, though, since it has a direct sequel, The IDIC Epidemic. Or is that too strict a definition a "standalone?"

I think it would be too strict if The Vulcan Academy Murders wasn't originally written with a sequel in mind. If it was, then I'd say it's fair.