The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (
-   -   You know what I just realized... (

HaventGotALife December 6 2013 05:35 AM

You know what I just realized...
After another fight about the viability creatively of Star Trek, and re-watching Star Trek Into Darkness last weekend, I have come to the conclusion that I hate these movies. I guess you would have to understand me to know how out-of-character that is. I may not like a movie. I have walked out on several in the last 5 years, but I just walked out and forgot about them. "Not worth my money," Apathy.

I hate these films. I hate the "nods" to the fans, I hate the trauma (losing Vulcan, Section 31 staging a war with the Klingons, the terrorist attacks on earth from Khan). I want these filmmakers away from Star Trek. Nothing personal, but I enjoy this universe. It's not comic books. It's not James Bond. It's one big tale that was weaved together. See, I'm starting to pontificate about the old Trek. I hate my complaints. They seem so tired and it's because these movies are tired. Have fun editing that sentence if you must, but it's true.

I don't want 150 million dollar budget graphics and the same stale relationships that are from the Original Series. I want something new, if anything is to be done. I want different stories, open up the type of storytelling they do. I want morality plays again--you are free to consider that heavy-handed.

Just tired of a fight. Tired of seeing something that is tired making money. It's joyless. I wish Star Trek was still dead.

GalaxyX December 6 2013 06:08 AM

Re: You know what I just realized...
That's the problem with budget. Too much and there's huge pressure to make a movie that will make huge profit on that investment, so they cram what sells (sex! war! kewl xploshins non stop!)

Too little, and you end up with a story that is weak (because the characters can't do anything, since there's no budget to show anything interesting, think Insurrection).

I would love to see someone make a movie that had a great story with action in the right places, and good drama/characterization when needed. Only movie I can think of that even got close to that was Batman Begins.

CorporalClegg December 6 2013 06:38 AM

That's nice.

M'Sharak December 6 2013 06:47 AM

HaventGotALife wrote: (Post 8980885)
I wish Star Trek was still dead.

Well, it's not, at least for now.

Also, your post is pretty much a self-contained blog entry, rather than a thread-starter; there's not really a topic for discussion here, so I'll just close this now.