The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Khan #3 Review (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=232369)

Villordsutch December 5 2013 03:08 PM

Khan #3 Review
 
Hello all below is my review for Star Trek: Khan#3

http://i41.tinypic.com/281x6wx.jpg

Quote:

"Villordsutch wrote:
My review of the last issue caught a word of flack on the web as I didn’t appreciate the huge leaps taken when it came to Khan and Co. taking over the world (who knew it’d be so easy). Well here in issue #3 I’ll tell you now there are a few large leaps made, however in this comic it seems somewhat appropriate.

Expecting “Wine and Roses”, the initial pages greet us with Khan being worshipped by the people, with ribbons and streamers tumbling around the cheering and clapping obedient citizens as he stands, square jawed and steely eyed as his monologue of why people appreciate being ruled surrounds him; you could be mistaken that my initial expectat...

Full review can be found here - http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/1...ek-khan-3.html

King Daniel Into Darkness December 5 2013 03:47 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
I hope they're paying Eric Kristainsen for using his S.S. Botany Bay cutaway on the alternate cover.

timothy December 5 2013 04:41 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
It was good issue who knew it came down to the chinesse in the for front.

Noddy December 6 2013 01:14 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
I think it's too far-fetched.

dswynne1 December 7 2013 07:58 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
^ To what you are referring to?

DEWLine December 7 2013 10:19 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
I'm guessing the claims of Khan are the main issue.

Certainly, it gives us some leeway in terms of Unreliable Narrator Syndrome to use him as the POV character, particluarly during the Eugenics Wars as they progressed.

Therin of Andor December 8 2013 08:09 AM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
Thoroughly enjoyed this issue and a fun cameo by Sydney, Australia!

Noddy December 8 2013 01:28 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
Quote:

dswynne1 wrote: (Post 8986318)
^ To what you are referring to?

Stuff like the Americas getting nuked. If that happened, there'd be no way the late 20th-early 21st century settings of episodes like VOY "11:59" and ENT "Carpenter Street" could happen; people would still be struggling to rebuild civilization.

Pauln6 December 8 2013 03:00 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
I enjoyed it - it had more interesting twists than issue 2. I do agree that the concept of the USA being devastated by nuclear conflict in the nineties sit ill at ease with the Voyager time travel but we only saw specific areas so its not completely incongruous.

Noddy December 8 2013 04:38 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
I should think a nuclear conflict raging across North America would totally devastate the nation for decades to come. So no, Los Angeles would not have looked remotely like it did in VOY "Future's End" (even if it was a slightly alternate past), nor would the locales in VOY "11:59" and ENT "Carpenter Street."

Christopher December 8 2013 04:57 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
There's also the fact that the 24th-century shows often referenced World War III as a conflict that culminated around mid-century but never referenced the Eugenics Wars. If the EW were a global nuclear exchange in the 1990s, then surely the conflict that ended a decade before First Contact would've been called World War IV instead. So if IDW has indeed chosen to depict the Eugenics Wars that way, it's an extremely strange choice.

Pauln6 December 8 2013 07:30 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 8989774)
There's also the fact that the 24th-century shows often referenced World War III as a conflict that culminated around mid-century but never referenced the Eugenics Wars. If the EW were a global nuclear exchange in the 1990s, then surely the conflict that ended a decade before First Contact would've been called World War IV instead. So if IDW has indeed chosen to depict the Eugenics Wars that way, it's an extremely strange choice.

Yes, it does seem strange but this could also be a 'Usual Suspects' moment. Just because we have knowledge to contradict Khan doesn't mean the characters do I suppose.

Or of course proof that (IDW) Nero did not come from the Prime Universe.

Christopher December 8 2013 08:13 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
Quote:

Pauln6 wrote: (Post 8990182)
Yes, it does seem strange but this could also be a 'Usual Suspects' moment. Just because we have knowledge to contradict Khan doesn't mean the characters do I suppose.

I think that the characters could certainly be expected to have enough knowledge of history to know whether there was a global nuclear war in the 1990s. That's not exactly the sort of thing that would be overlooked in history class.


Quote:

Or of course proof that (IDW) Nero did not come from the Prime Universe.
It's simply proof that the comics are non-canonical. It's not the first time that they've had some strange interpretations, some of which have clashed with the Bad Robot movies as well as with Prime continuity.

This is why tie-ins are not canonical as a rule -- because even with an ongoing attempt at oversight, it's hard for film or TV producers to maintain really solid continuity in tie-ins created by other people while the producers themselves are busy creating the canonical work itself. Generally the only times it can work are after the canon series has ended and the creators are able to oversee the tie-ins more directly -- which is why the Babylon 5 books written after the series ended are canonical and the books written during the series are not, and why the Buffy comics written after the series are canonical and the books and comics written during the series are not.

Noddy December 9 2013 02:14 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 8989774)
There's also the fact that the 24th-century shows often referenced World War III as a conflict that culminated around mid-century but never referenced the Eugenics Wars. If the EW were a global nuclear exchange in the 1990s, then surely the conflict that ended a decade before First Contact would've been called World War IV instead. So if IDW has indeed chosen to depict the Eugenics Wars that way, it's an extremely strange choice.

Well the comic doesn't actually say the nuclear conflict was global, just that it occurred in the Americas, specifically the north continent. So while that might solve the problem of why it isn't regarded as being WW3 proper, it does mean that it would have probably taken the USA decades to recover from the devastation, so likely no LA as shown in "Future's End", no Millennium Gate in "11:59", and no Carpenter Street in "Carpenter Street." I can't see the nation being able to wage the War on Terror and the invasion of Iraq nearly a decade later either.

DEWLine December 9 2013 04:09 PM

Re: Khan #3 Review
 
Also, dumping Canada into the "Great North Wasteland"...? How likely would that really be?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.