The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   TOS Klingons explained? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=232036)

Saganistheman November 30 2013 06:44 AM

TOS Klingons explained?

Ok just got finished watching Episodes 15 & 16 "Affliction" and "Divergence". Am I to believe this story arc is the reason for the difference in appearance of TOS Klingons and all the other Klingons?

teacake November 30 2013 08:22 AM

Re: TOS Klingons explained?

Yes.

Therin of Andor November 30 2013 09:09 AM

It wasn't clear enough? ;)

teacake November 30 2013 09:20 AM

In Trials and Tribbleations, a DS9 episode, Worf is confronted with the sight of smooth foreheaded Klingons of the TOS era. Questioned by his peers he says "we do not speak of it", obviously embarrassed.

That was the admission that there are actual differences in TOS era Klingons and TNG onward, that we as the audience aren't supposed to just pretend otherwise like we do with styrofoam boulders and other TOSness.

The ENT arc gives us the explanation for what fans have wondered for years about :)

CorporalCaptain November 30 2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8957617)
"we do not speak of it"

Eh.

I would have been perfectly happy, if it had been left at that, even if not knowing the in-universe explanation became a permanent running gag like what is the sound of Morn's voice.

Not all fans wondered about, cared for, or needed an in-universe explanation. It was better not knowing.

teacake November 30 2013 09:36 AM

I loved the explanation. I thought it very satisfying and well done as well as being an interesting story in itself.

2takesfrakes November 30 2013 10:13 AM

The Klingon forehead explaination was rubbish.

But I wouldn't have minded a story about the genetically enhanced Humans. They were very well cast and interesting to watch, when they weren't harassing scientists by stuffing them in tubes filled with death-dealing biological weapons. Some of the choreography of the fighting sequences was particularly effective ...

King Daniel Into Darkness November 30 2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8957647)
I loved the explanation. I thought it very satisfying and well done as well as being an interesting story in itself.

I agree. I'm not usually fan of fanwanky unnecessary explanations (like the nuTrek comics trying to explain why Khan is British now or the ENT novel that tried to explain why TOS looks less advanced than the NX-01), but this one was harmless fun and the added backstory didn't negatively taint any of the old Klingon episodes.

Plus, when I first saw it i had no idea they were going to it, and I'd somehow missed the teaser where we see a Klingon's forehead dissolve. After spending three years saying "these pre-TOS Klingons shouldn't have bumpy heads!" (albeit jokingly), I actually stood up when the Enterprise was boarded by a squad of TOS-style human-looking Klingons (not unlike Sulu at the start of TUC:)). A huge OMG WTF moment.

Tosk November 30 2013 10:45 AM

I could have done without it, but it was executed well enough. Would they have roped the Romulans in too if ENT had gone on long enough? ;)

King Daniel Into Darkness November 30 2013 11:04 AM

^Don't forget the Trill. They got the bumpy-forehead-turns-into-leopard-spots strain of the virus:p

Therin of Andor November 30 2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 8957785)
^Don't forget the Trill. They got the bumpy-forehead-turns-into-leopard-spots strain of the virus:p

No, if I recall the Excelsior novel "Forged in Fire" correctly, a subset of Trill were caught up in an attempt to restore the Klingons' bumps.

teacake November 30 2013 11:37 AM

This came up all all the time in fandom, for YEARS, decades.. and you'd always get the people who said "it was the limitations of tv of that era, just accept it" and the people who speculated about reasons. I think it was great and respectful of Star Trek to actually come up with a reason. It tied it in with Worf's comment too because of course Klingons would be embarrassed to have their looks altered via humans.

Therin of Andor November 30 2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8957821)
This came up all all the time in fandom, for YEARS, decades.. and you'd always get the people who said "it was the limitations of tv of that era, just accept it" and the people who speculated about reasons.

Best comment after the arrival of the Klingons of ST:TMP, who had their spinal columns stretching over their scalps:

"It's due to Starfleet continually kicking their asses."

MakeshiftPython November 30 2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

CorporalCaptain wrote: (Post 8957632)
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8957617)
"we do not speak of it"

Eh.

I would have been perfectly happy, if it had been left at that, even if not knowing the in-universe explanation became a permanent running gag like what is the sound of Morn's voice.

Not all fans wondered about, cared for, or needed an in-universe explanation. It was better not knowing.

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8957647)

I'm two minds of it. On one hand, I don't think it was necessary to give an explanation for the change in appearance for Klingons. On the other hand, I thought ENT did a really great job at it and I loved how it tied in with the augments earlier that season.

RandyS November 30 2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 8957740)

I agree. I'm not usually fan of fanwanky unnecessary explanations (like the nuTrek comics trying to explain why Khan is British now or the ENT novel that tried to explain why TOS looks less advanced than the NX-01),

The ENTERPRISE novels are one of the few series I'm current on, and I don't remember any such explanation. What book was this in?

As for the topic, while I love "fanwank" (but I HATE that "word"), I agree that an explanation for the Klingon forehead ridges was unecessary.

It was still a good story, though.