The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Productions (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Star Trek: Phase II - "Kitumba" Officially Released! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=231160)

Loken November 19 2013 02:59 PM

Star Trek: Phase II - "Kitumba" Officially Released!
 
Here is an update on this episode. Last month I picked up a drive with the Kitumba footage that had been recovered from the director after 2 years, the main reason for the delay in releasing an episode shot 5 years ago. Since then there has simply been little bandwidth within the Phase II team to get this episode finished.

So Mark Lewis, the Post Production Supervisor on Axanar and myself, picked up the baton and spent a few days inventorying what we had and what we needed. We started with creating an edit using the two different existing cuts, the director's cut, and James Cawley's cut of Acts 1 & 2. 95% of what we chose was from James cut for those acts, which we then made some changes to which streamline and improve the narrative. Acts 3 & 4 were re-cut as well.

A list of missing effects shots was created, and Pony Horton has been working his way through them.

Mark and I are meeting again Friday to set the edit, and we will then get it to James for his notes/approval. Then after we have all the effects in, it is off to sound with Ralph Miller.

We have set an aggressive timeline for the end of December to have Kitumba complete, then it is up to James when this will be released.

I think you will all be pleased as "Kitumba" really is one of the best episodes, and James Cawley's final episode, so it deserves a proper treatment.

Alec

Barbreader November 19 2013 06:27 PM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Thanks for the update, Alec. As always, my position is: Thank you and Phase II for the Top Quality Fan Trek. It will be welcome whenever it is released. Christmas is nice, so is First Contact Day. Thank you for your efforts. I look forward to viewing this episode.

Professor Moriarty November 19 2013 06:50 PM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
I hope James will change his mind someday and it won't be his final episode.

doubleohfive November 19 2013 07:21 PM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Eagerly looking forward to seeing this new episode as well.

Ronald Held November 19 2013 08:26 PM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Awaiting this episode with a modicum of impatience..

PattyW November 20 2013 03:49 AM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Quote:

Loken wrote: (Post 8909893)
We started with creating an edit using the two different existing cuts, the director's cut, and James Cawley's cut of Acts 1 & 2. 95% of what we chose was from James cut for those acts, which we then made some changes to which streamline and improve the narrative. Acts 3 & 4 were re-cut as well.

Alec

uh....wha....? You re-edited the Senior Executive Producer's "Final Edit" of the teaser, act 1 and act 2?! Has something changed so Phase II isn't James' show any longer? Maybe there should be some kind of announcement to that effect...?

In any case, I certainly hope that the writing credit was fixed finally. I would hate to see fans disappointed - or even outraged - when they discover this isn't the JML story. Just his basic premise.

Loken November 20 2013 05:11 AM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Quote:

andriech wrote: (Post 8913127)
Quote:

Loken wrote: (Post 8909893)
We started with creating an edit using the two different existing cuts, the director's cut, and James Cawley's cut of Acts 1 & 2. 95% of what we chose was from James cut for those acts, which we then made some changes to which streamline and improve the narrative. Acts 3 & 4 were re-cut as well.

Alec

uh....wha....? You re-edited the Senior Executive Producer's "Final Edit" of the teaser, act 1 and act 2?! Has something changed so Phase II isn't James' show any longer? Maybe there should be some kind of announcement to that effect...?

In any case, I certainly hope that the writing credit was fixed finally. I would hate to see fans disappointed - or even outraged - when they discover this isn't the JML story. Just his basic premise.

Every single step of the way has been approved by James. And if you actually bothered to read my post you will see where James is getting the edit this weekend to approve as well.

Since you are no longer part of Phase II, exactly for this sort of drama, I would ask that you leave those of us actually doing the work to do it.

doubleohfive November 20 2013 05:12 AM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Quote:

Loken wrote: (Post 8913487)
Quote:

andriech wrote: (Post 8913127)
Quote:

Loken wrote: (Post 8909893)
We started with creating an edit using the two different existing cuts, the director's cut, and James Cawley's cut of Acts 1 & 2. 95% of what we chose was from James cut for those acts, which we then made some changes to which streamline and improve the narrative. Acts 3 & 4 were re-cut as well.

Alec

uh....wha....? You re-edited the Senior Executive Producer's "Final Edit" of the teaser, act 1 and act 2?! Has something changed so Phase II isn't James' show any longer? Maybe there should be some kind of announcement to that effect...?

In any case, I certainly hope that the writing credit was fixed finally. I would hate to see fans disappointed - or even outraged - when they discover this isn't the JML story. Just his basic premise.

Every single step of the way has been approved by James. And if you actually bothered to read my post you will see where James is getting the edit this weekend to approve as well.

Since you are no longer part of Phase II, exactly for this sort of drama, I would ask that you leave those of us actually doing the work to do it.

And this, folks, is how you run a "professional" production.

MauriceNavidad November 20 2013 06:20 AM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Oh for fuck's sake. This has gone from amusing to unpleasant.

PattyW November 20 2013 06:38 AM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Quote:

Loken wrote: (Post 8913487)
Every single step of the way has been approved by James. And if you actually bothered to read my post you will see where James is getting the edit this weekend to approve as well.

Since you are no longer part of Phase II, exactly for this sort of drama, I would ask that you leave those of us actually doing the work to do it.

I did miss that you were sending J "your" edit this weekend (while he's away working) and I apologize for that. I still think it's ballsy that you actually re-edited what he felt was perfect the way it was. In my opinion it was not only a waste of time, but completely disrespectful of James' work and leadership. A "final edit" is just that. I stand by my statement. The emperor has no clothes here....

yeah, I am no longer part of the Phase II producer's group...for reasons you are not privy to and would never understand. (It's completely unprofessional to imply that you know and "leak gossip" that you invented.) That actually gives me the freedom to comment publicly on stuff you guys post without having to "rep the PR line"..and I will do so when I see fit. But if you think I am not working for P2 in any manner any longer, you are sadly mistaken.

And I stand by my statement about the writer's credit. I'd hate to have the production be embarrassed... I provided an entire list of credits (as was part of my job) for the hundreds of folks that worked on this episode. If they aren't on the episode it's none of my concern any longer - but the writing credit IS my concern. I expect to see that the director's dig was corrected to the accurate credits.

PattyW November 20 2013 06:42 AM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Quote:

doubleohfive wrote: (Post 8913490)
well.

And this, folks, is how you run a "professional" production.

...ah, how sad you edited your comment....

MauriceNavidad November 20 2013 07:06 AM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
You know I have strongly disagreed with some folks in the fanfilm circle but most of them have been very civil, so I do not understand this high schoolish need to get digs in on people you disagree with. It's possible to address matters without making it personal, surprising as that may seem.

doubleohfive November 20 2013 07:18 AM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Quote:

andriech wrote: (Post 8913745)
Quote:

doubleohfive wrote: (Post 8913490)
well.

And this, folks, is how you run a "professional" production.

...ah, how sad you edited your comment....

I chose to edit my post because it read as if I were taking sides in the matter, which I have no interest in doing.

Quote:

Maurice wrote: (Post 8913793)
You know I have strongly disagreed with some folks in the fanfilm circle but most of them have been very civil, so I do not understand this high schoolish need to get digs in on people you disagree with. It's possible to address matters without making it personal, surprising as that may seem.

Agreed, 100%.

surak-toc November 20 2013 02:09 PM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
regardless of anything said i am 100% looking forward to this for sure.

Loken November 20 2013 02:21 PM

Re: Star Trek: Phase II - Kitumba
 
Quote:

doubleohfive wrote: (Post 8913826)

Quote:

Maurice wrote: (Post 8913793)
You know I have strongly disagreed with some folks in the fanfilm circle but most of them have been very civil, so I do not understand this high schoolish need to get digs in on people you disagree with. It's possible to address matters without making it personal, surprising as that may seem.

Agreed, 100%.

Well maybe you should start making sure your actions support what you claim you believe and stop attacking me every chance you get. You edited out your attacks, but the day after your posts were deleted on another forum for attacking me you are back at it. How about you learn to be civil?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.