The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=230884)

Starscream2112 November 15 2013 10:25 PM

Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
I noticed that they have re-mastered Lost in Space and posted a Lost in Space HD Restoration Test to YouTube Here.

davejames November 15 2013 11:43 PM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Wow, pretty big improvement.

feek61 November 15 2013 11:47 PM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
A little dark but looks like a big improvement overall

Kelso November 16 2013 12:52 AM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
As long as the full frame nonsense is optional, I'm in!

RandyS November 16 2013 12:52 AM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Quote:

feek61 wrote: (Post 8895709)
A little dark but looks like a big improvement overall

That's the one thing I dislike about all these remasterings. How dark the picture is. If you look at TOS (whose remastered episodes I own on DVD), and TNG, (which I don't because those are Blue Ray only), the picture is clearer, sure, but the vibrant colors are gone.

I really do not like that.

The Star Wars films are that same way too.

Ar-Pharazon November 16 2013 12:56 AM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Could the originals have been done with too much brightness & color so they would show up on 1960's thru 1980's era TV's?

Maybe what we're seeing now is how they were "meant to be", but we're used to the brighter colors and whatnot.

Ovation November 16 2013 01:06 AM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Quote:

feek61 wrote: (Post 8895709)
A little dark but looks like a big improvement overall

The remaster may seem darker, but its contrast levels and colour timing are more accurate to the original film stock. And the black and white footage is especially improved in the remaster.


Quote:

Kelso wrote: (Post 8895991)
As long as the full frame nonsense is optional, I'm in!

I've looked at this clip several times now and it seems as though the original broadcast aspect ratio was actually a crop of a wider aspect ratio film stock. It certainly isn't a simple zoom or artificial stretching of the original 1.33:1 image. While I prefer OAR (original aspect ratio) for any filmed product, the wider ratio here seems especially well done--to the point of being seamless to anyone who never saw the original.

Harvey November 16 2013 04:30 AM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Quote:

RandyS wrote: (Post 8895997)
That's the one thing I dislike about all these remasterings. How dark the picture is. If you look at TOS (whose remastered episodes I own on DVD), and TNG, (which I don't because those are Blue Ray only), the picture is clearer, sure, but the vibrant colors are gone.

I can't speak to the quality of the Star Wars restorations (let me know when I can replace my copies of the de-specialized versions with legitimate releases), but the remastered episodes of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation don't look any less vibrant than the originals to my eyes.

Mr. Adventure November 16 2013 04:57 AM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Looked pretty good though "space" looked a little washed out at the end there. Maybe on an uncompressed blu-ray that looks better as it was a little blocky looking as well.

The 1.78 stuff was interesting, it didn't look like they were cropping the image as there was more information on the sides. You still don't have the framing the director may have intended or risk things like microphones or other stuff not meant to be seen but it didn't look like missing image.

davejames November 16 2013 05:56 AM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 8896648)
Quote:

RandyS wrote: (Post 8895997)
That's the one thing I dislike about all these remasterings. How dark the picture is. If you look at TOS (whose remastered episodes I own on DVD), and TNG, (which I don't because those are Blue Ray only), the picture is clearer, sure, but the vibrant colors are gone.

I can't speak to the quality of the Star Wars restorations (let me know when I can replace my copies of the de-specialized versions with legitimate releases), but the remastered episodes of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation don't look any less vibrant than the originals to my eyes.

Agreed. It might look a bit darker in comparison videos, but you don't even notice when you're watching the actual eps.

RandyS November 16 2013 04:14 PM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 8896648)
Quote:

RandyS wrote: (Post 8895997)
That's the one thing I dislike about all these remasterings. How dark the picture is. If you look at TOS (whose remastered episodes I own on DVD), and TNG, (which I don't because those are Blue Ray only), the picture is clearer, sure, but the vibrant colors are gone.

I can't speak to the quality of the Star Wars restorations (let me know when I can replace my copies of the de-specialized versions with legitimate releases), but the remastered episodes of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation don't look any less vibrant than the originals to my eyes.

Well, admittedly, my perception of the TNG Blue Rays comes from TrekCore's screencaps, but you can see how dark the picture is in comparison with the DVD's, particularly season 2 in that case. As for TOS, a comparison of the two DVD sets (the 2004 originals and the 2008 remastered) shows that the 2004 originals is the MUCH brighter picture.

At first, I assumed it was a simple matter of adjusting the color and picture tint on my TV, but that didn't help.

Galileo7 November 16 2013 09:53 PM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Quote:

Kelso wrote: (Post 8895991)
As long as the full frame nonsense is optional, I'm in!

Agree.

I am glad to see it. As long as it is done right.:techman:

Saga November 17 2013 12:19 AM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
that looks really great. guess its a good thing i never got around to getting the series on DVD.

Christopher November 17 2013 12:55 AM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Quote:

Mr. Adventure wrote: (Post 8896738)
The 1.78 stuff was interesting, it didn't look like they were cropping the image as there was more information on the sides.

No, it was definitely just zoomed in to crop off the top and bottom. In the first instance, look at the bins on the walls on the far left of the screen. In both the original and the modified footage, they're on the edge of the frame. And less of the overhead light fixture is visible. In the next example, there's clearly less of the top of the frame visible (the rivets around the door are closer to the top edge). There may be a bit more showing to the right of frame -- the background guard at the edge of frame is farther from the edge in the dishonestly labeled "full frame" version -- but that could just be due to a camera move at the point of the change.

This isn't an improvement. It's no better than old-style pan-and-scan, cropping off pieces of the image to fit an arbitrary frame. It's wrong. Something which was made in 1:33 should be shown in 1:33, period. There is no legitimate excuse for deleting portions of the original image.

Harvey November 17 2013 01:11 AM

Re: Lost in Space coming to Blu-ray?
 
Yeah, nothing positive comes from cropping the original aspect ratio like that. Thankfully, all of the Blu-Rays I have of 1.33:1 era shows (TOS, TNG, The Twilight Zone, Space: 1999, The Prisoner) kept the OAR (although the Star Trek titles were prepared in cropped versions for certain markets).

I suppose in this case, you might call it "tilt-and-scan?"


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.