The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Things you got "wrong" (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=230254)

Shat Happens November 7 2013 02:29 AM

Things you got "wrong"
 
Do you remember watching the movies/series, before the tide of expanded material in books and magazines and then obviously the internet, and guessing things about the tech or character actions which you learnt aterwards it was not the intent of the designers/moviemakers? layout of the ship, for example.

Me first: In the movie Enterprise (also known as "refit", "Enterprise class", "NCC-1701-A", whichever you prefer), I remember seeing those big windows in the cigar section with bright blue light coming out and being absolutely sure that was the Engineering room, where Scotty had tha big luminous blue reactor. I even concluded the windows had shutters because of the inside scenes. But the blue light was definitely the reactor.

Then I bought Shane Johnson's book and "learned" that was "really" a botanical garden.

( Why a garden would be colored/lighted blue instead of, say, green, I cant guess :D )

Shat Happens November 7 2013 02:40 AM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
hey, mods, move this to "general discussion"?

Unwrapped November 7 2013 03:20 AM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
Done.

SchwEnt November 7 2013 03:32 AM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
Early 70s, I was a little kid loving TOS. Drew pictures of the Enterprise, as kids do.

I drew crew and decks all over the ship, up to and including the nacelles--which I didn't know were nacelles. I thought they were other sections of the ship with people, like the primary hull and secondary hull.

Star Trek Confessions: As a little kid, I thought people lived up in the nacelles of the Enterprise.

C.E. Evans November 7 2013 03:33 AM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
Quote:

Shat Happens wrote: (Post 8859142)
Do you remember watching the movies/series, before the tide of expanded material in books and magazines and then obviously the internet, and guessing things about the tech or character actions which you learnt aterwards it was not the intent of the designers/moviemakers? layout of the ship, for example.

Me first: In the movie Enterprise (also known as "refit", "Enterprise class", "NCC-1701-A", whichever you prefer), I remember seeing those big windows in the cigar section with bright blue light coming out and being absolutely sure that was the Engineering room, where Scotty had tha big luminous blue reactor. I even concluded the windows had shutters because of the inside scenes. But the blue light was definitely the reactor.

Then I bought Shane Johnson's book and "learned" that was "really" a botanical garden.

( Why a garden would be colored/lighted blue instead of, say, green, I cant guess :D )

Tinted windows.
:cool:

For me, it was the idea that the main viewscreen of the original Enterprise bridge was aligned with the forward axis of the ship, when it really was 30-degrees or so offside (the turbolift is aligned with the forward axis instead).

Captain Rob November 7 2013 11:30 AM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
I always thought that the phasers fired out of the big glowy dome on the bottom of the primary hull. And wondered why they never fired from the top glowy dome.

Cookies and Cake November 7 2013 11:48 AM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
In TMP, I thought the intermix chamber was just a conduit that delivered power to the rest of the ship from the nacelles. I also thought the antimatter was up in the nacelles. I was still thinking in TOS and TAS terms, in which the nacelles were more or less implied to house the antimatter reaction.

Then, I got the cutaway poster for the refit and learned that for TMP it was now the other way around and that antimatter was fed into the intermix chamber from the bottom of the secondary hull.

I still think my original interpretation (which isn't contradicted on screen in any way that matters, if at all, even in TWOK) is better. :cool:

Forbin November 7 2013 02:08 PM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
Quote:

C.E. Evans wrote: (Post 8859415)
For me, it was the idea that the main viewscreen of the original Enterprise bridge was aligned with the forward axis of the ship,

It is.

Quote:

when it really was 30-degrees or so offside (the turbolift is aligned with the forward axis instead).
It isn't.


:vulcan:

;)

Greg Cox November 7 2013 02:53 PM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
For years, I thought "The Galileo Seven" referred to the shuttle, not the number of passengers aboard.

Lance November 7 2013 03:23 PM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 8860771)
For years, I thought "The Galileo Seven" referred to the shuttle, not the number of passengers aboard.

The really cool thing about that one is that it's both. :D :techman:

CaptPapa November 7 2013 03:35 PM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
This one will seem pretty lame now, but when I first watched TOS (I was 11 when it premiered) I thought the viewscreen was a window that the bridge crew looked out of to see whatever was happening. I can't imagine how I still remember that, since I don't remember alot of other things that have happened since - maybe it was my sharp reaction when I discovered that the viewscreen was not a window. :confused: Oh well, ain't youth grand though? :rolleyes:

22 Stars November 7 2013 04:03 PM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
Quote:

CaptPapa wrote: (Post 8860876)
This one will seem pretty lame now, but when I first watched TOS (I was 11 when it premiered) I thought the viewscreen was a window that the bridge crew looked out of to see whatever was happening. I can't imagine how I still remember that, since I don't remember alot of other things that have happened since - maybe it was my sharp reaction when I discovered that the viewscreen was not a window. :confused: Oh well, ain't youth grand though? :rolleyes:

Nice to have JJ here on the board! ;)

Chuck4 November 7 2013 04:34 PM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
When I was 11 I thought the writers for star trek were scientifically literate.
:devil:

Richard Baker November 7 2013 04:45 PM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
I was watching on a old Black & White set when the show was first broadcast and had no idea what color things were for years.
I expected Spock to be a light pale green instead of regular human skin tone. They always talked about his green blood so I just sorta assumed....
I did not expect so much bright red in the sets either.

BillJ November 7 2013 04:51 PM

Re: Things you got "wrong"
 
When I was very, very little I thought the bridge took up the entire saucer. :eek:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.