The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=230224)

Noddy November 6 2013 06:56 PM

Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
Out of interest, how many writers of Trek prose have also done prose fiction for Doctor Who? I know Peter David wrote the short story "One Fateful Knight" for one of the Big Finish prose anthologies, which was both a sequel and prequel to the TV story "Battlefield." What others?

Allyn Gibson November 6 2013 07:05 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
I'm sure I'm going to leave some people out...

Mike W. Barr
Peter David
Keith R.A. DeCandido
John S. Drew
Diane Duane
Allyn Gibson
Una McCormack
Robert T. Jeschonek
Terri Osborne
James Swallow
Richard C. White

Swallow and McCormack have written novels for both franchises. The others have written Doctor Who short stories for Big Finish's Short Trips anthologies.

Christopher November 6 2013 07:10 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
^And Keith edited one of those anthologies, IIRC.

John Clark November 6 2013 07:15 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
David A McIntee is another who has done work on both:)

Noddy November 6 2013 07:16 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 8857576)
I'm sure I'm going to leave some people out...

Mike W. Barr
Peter David
Keith R.A. DeCandido
John S. Drew
Diane Duane
Allyn Gibson
Una McCormack
Robert T. Jeschonek
Terri Osborne
James Swallow
Richard C. White

What stories did they write?

Allyn Gibson November 6 2013 07:44 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
Quote:

John Clark wrote: (Post 8857621)
David A McIntee is another who has done work on both:)

I knew I was going to leave someone out. Lonemagpie is probably cursing my name as I type this! :)

I also left out Paul Kupperberg and Kevin Killiany.

Quote:

Noddy wrote: (Post 8857630)
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 8857576)
I'm sure I'm going to leave some people out...

Mike W. Barr
Peter David
Keith R.A. DeCandido
John S. Drew
Diane Duane
Allyn Gibson
Una McCormack
Robert T. Jeschonek
Terri Osborne
James Swallow
Richard C. White

What stories did they write?

Keith was in Decalog 3.

Mike W. Barr, Keith DeCandido, Kevin Killiany, and Paul Kupperberg were in Destination Prague. Also in that volume was Chris Roberson, who later wrote Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes for IDW publishing.

The rest were in The Quality of Leadership.

There was another Trek author-heavy Short Trips anthology that was in development when Big Finish gave up the license. I'd have to look at old e-mails to refresh my memory about who was invited; I think Dayton Ward was in the frame for that one. The story I pitched was a Six/Charlie story that was pretty clever.

Emh November 6 2013 07:47 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
McCormack, Swallow and McIntee have also written Big Finish audio plays.

Allyn Gibson November 6 2013 07:54 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
I would love a Paul Cornell-penned Star Trek novel.

I would love love love love love if Pocket and BBC Books could work together so Cornell could write the TOS/Second Doctor story Cornell wanted to write for Big Finish.

I should also point out that Titan's Star Trek Magazine had contributions by authors known in fandom primarily for their Doctor Who work, including Lance Parkin.

Lonemagpie November 6 2013 08:22 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 8857714)
Quote:

John Clark wrote: (Post 8857621)
David A McIntee is another who has done work on both:)

I knew I was going to leave someone out. Lonemagpie is probably cursing my name as I type this! :)

Actually, no, cos I was taking the OP to be asking about Trek writers who'd moved onto DW, and I'm the one who did it the other way round.

So I probably don't, technically, count.

Christopher November 6 2013 08:38 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
^Well, Noddy just said "also," not "afterward." So I think it encompasses anyone who's done both, regardless of order.

diankra November 7 2013 01:05 AM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
Of course there is the rumour that Gene Coon was so cash-strapped that he not only moonlighted as Lee Cronin, but also as Robert Holmes. I doubt you've heard it before as I just made it up...

Sindatur November 7 2013 02:17 AM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
We need to get Greg Cox (Does he follow Doctor Who?) and especially Christopher (Since I know he watches Doctor Who) to write some Audios :bolian::bolian: (<-- I use that as a Cyberman, rather than a Bolian in the Doctor Who Forum :devil:)

Allyn, I knew you were a bit on the inside, but, I didn't realize you were an author, I thought maybe a columnist :alienblush: (Please don't take offense, I'm not very well read :alienblush: )

Allyn Gibson November 7 2013 02:30 AM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
Oh, I realized the other author I forgot who has written novels in both franchises.

John Peel.

Noddy November 7 2013 12:04 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 8857756)
I would love a Paul Cornell-penned Star Trek novel.

I would love love love love love if Pocket and BBC Books could work together so Cornell could write the TOS/Second Doctor story Cornell wanted to write for Big Finish.

I should also point out that Titan's Star Trek Magazine had contributions by authors known in fandom primarily for their Doctor Who work, including Lance Parkin.

I admire a lot of Cornell's work, so I wouldn't mind seeing his TOS/Second Doctor crossover myself.

I didn't know Lance Parkin had contributed to the Trek magazine though. What's he written for it?

Stevil2001 November 7 2013 02:00 PM

Re: Trek authors who have also written for Doctor Who
 
I would love a Titan novel from Lance Parkin.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.