The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Radio Times 'Best Doctor' Poll (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=229930)

StCoop November 2 2013 02:48 PM

Radio Times 'Best Doctor' Poll

You'll never guess who's 46% ahead of the person in second-place...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...or-of-all-time

No doubt there'll be the usual whinging about "fangirls" rigging the result (though it only accepts your first vote), while doding the question of where all Matt Smith's fans are then.

Pindar November 2 2013 04:59 PM

Re: Radio Times 'Best Doctor' Poll

It seemed to let me vote as many times as I liked on my ipad.

theonering November 2 2013 05:06 PM

I'm 26 years old and not from the UK, so I'm hardly an authority on this. But it's kind of surprising to me that the next most popular Doctor after Tennant and Smith is McGann. Granted the demographics of the people actually voting in this pole are going to lean more towards the more recent generations of "Dr. Who" fans, but still. After all the hype I've heard about Baker I would have expected more people to have voted for him.

Shazam! November 2 2013 05:06 PM

Yep, it's letting me vote Paul McGann indefinitely.

StCoop November 2 2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Shazam! wrote: (Post 8840899)

You can click a button again but it actually says your vote was already counted.

SJSharksfan39 November 2 2013 07:47 PM

David Tennant at 46% really surprises me. Considering how many doctors there are and the split in fandom regarding Doctors, I thought things would be a little more closer than that. I still voted for Eccleston though, who probably because of that one season and his refusal to be in the series again, is only getting 5%. I guess maybe as a new Doctor Who fan, I accept his reasons for not wanting to come back. He did a season, went to do other things, more power to him.

Mr Awe November 2 2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

StCoop wrote: (Post 8840995)
Quote:

Shazam! wrote: (Post 8840899)

You can click a button again but it actually says your vote was already counted.

Shhh! Don't tell them that! The thought of them clicking over and over, all for naught, is absolutely hilarious!

Mr Awe

YellowSubmarine November 2 2013 08:43 PM

I clicked on Tom Baker about a billion times. That will teach them.

Green Lantern November 2 2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

StCoop wrote: (Post 8840527)
You'll never guess who's 46% ahead of the person in second-place...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...or-of-all-time

No doubt there'll be the usual whinging about "fangirls" rigging the result (though it only accepts your first vote), while doding the question of where all Matt Smith's fans are then.

David Tennant?

Matt Smiths fans? There aren't that many. He's not that good a doctor. Even with him as the current doctor, he's still not particularly popular compared with many other doctors. Goodness knows how popular he'll be in a few years time. At the end of the day as far as doctors go, he's average if that.

Green Lantern November 2 2013 11:31 PM

Here's my list of doctor for the record. ;)
1) Tenth Doctor (David Tennant)
2) Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann)
3) Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston)
4) Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker)
5) Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton)
6) Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison)
7) Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee)
8) Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker)
9) Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy)
10) Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith)
11) First Doctor (William Hartnel)

Since I last did a doctor list, I've seen new stories which gave me reasons to place them higher, re-watched stories I haven't seen for many years which changed my opinion of certain Doctors, and my tastes in general may have changed a bit.

You may remember last time Jon Pertwee was in my bottom five but now he is much higher; mainly because since my last lists, I have watched and fell in love with Planet of Spiders, my appreciation of Three Doctors has gone up even more, and in general he isn't as bad as I thought. Peter Davison is higher too as I've fallen in love with Earthshock even more, and I've rediscovered some great stories I didn't used to think much of. Fourth Doctor is lower now as although I love a lot of his 80s series', I hate the E Space Trilogy, and I find a lot of his 70s stuff boring, he was a good doctor in it, but I didn't like how it was executed back then, something with the Pertwee era seems to do better. Note also I'd have placed Hartnel higher if I watched more of his stuff, but I barley know his era very well, only having six serials of his (Unearthly Child, The Daleks, Edge of Destruction, Dalek Invassion of Earth, Web Planet and Time Meddler). I watched the surviving episode of Celestial Toymaker and fell in love with it though, man I wish that was all complete as I could see it being a favourite. Also, I plan to get Tenth Planet for Christmas, so that should get me more familiar with his doctor. If I like that, hopefully I can place Smith at the bottom at last!!!!!!!! The only reason Smith isn't at the bottom is because I like a couple of his episodes, but I've seen the majority of his run and disliked it.

Shazam! November 3 2013 12:10 AM

Here's my list:

1. Patrick Troughton
2. Tom Baker
3. Matt Smith
4. Paul McGann
5. Peter Davison
6. Sylvester McCoy
7. Christopher Eccleston
8. David Tennant
9. Colin Baker
10. William Hartnell
11. Jon Pertwee

Emperor-Tiberius November 3 2013 12:30 AM

I've not seen any Hartnell serial, and have seen several from every other Doctors as well as listened to some audio stories, mostly from the Fifth and Eighth Doctor eras. And all of 9-11.

1) Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston)
2) Tenth Doctor (David Tennant)
3) Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker)
4) Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton)
5) Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison)
6) Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann)
7) Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith)
8) Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy)
9) Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee)
10) Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker)
11) First Doctor (William Hartnel)

diankra November 3 2013 12:36 AM

Matt Smith started superbly... but that's it. If he'd built on how well he started he might be an easy best by now, but as it is I'd put him just above the middle of the 11, good but not competing for first place ( Tom or Troughton) or even 2nd tier (Hartnell, Eccleston). He's in there with Davison, Tennant and McGann for me.

MickJo1701 November 3 2013 12:42 AM

I think I've voted for Pertwee at least 3 times in that poll. I find it sad that people are posting in the comments section that they've seen 2 or 3 of the 11 Doctors and voting nonetheless, they're hardly in a position to vote for the best Doctor. Tennant the best Doctor?, not in my book.

Jon Pertwee
Peter Davison
Matt Smith
Paul McGann
Patrick Troughton
Tom Baker
Christopher Eccleston
David Tennant
Sylvester McCoy
Colin Baker
William Hartnell

SJSharksfan39 November 3 2013 12:47 AM

I've only seen the new series, but my rankings would be:

Eccleston - I loved his seriousness, and his playfulness at the same time. This was really spotlighted in episodes like Dalek and the Season finale

Tennant - He was just fun, and the more he was around the more I really liked him.

Smith - He's like Tennant, but lately I've actually found him a little annoying. Also, there are times when I can't understand him.