The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=229840)

Harbinger November 1 2013 12:54 AM

How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
I realize Q and The Continuum as a whole are god-like beings capable of a great deal of power but going by canon material, approximately how powerful can we say Q and his people are? Can they create, destroy and move galaxies for example? I've always figured they have near unlimited capabilities.

bbjeg November 1 2013 01:23 AM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
They are omnipotent and could probably move galaxies but in doing so, it would have drastic repercussions, for the galaxy and the galaxies around it. They're not destructive.

Melakon November 1 2013 01:30 AM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Since they consider changing the gravitational constant of the universe to be simple, they can likely do anything they darn well please.

R. Star November 1 2013 01:32 AM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
But they're not omnipotent. Quinn said so.

Harbinger November 1 2013 01:54 AM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Quote:

GoRe Star wrote: (Post 8835040)
But they're not omnipotent. Quinn said so.

Exactly.

Which is why I don't believe they can do anything and that they're limited. I've always been of the opinion that perhaps they're not completely honest in what they can do. Maybe some of it is illusion or some 'trick'. They're definitely not unstoppable as we saw in the Voyager episode.

Nightdiamond November 1 2013 11:18 AM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Quinn hinted to Tuvok that the Q may use some type of really advanced technology to do what they do.

That suggests some type of limitation.

However, as far I've seen, they can make doubles of themselves, stop time, shrink any object, explore alternate realities at will-- as far as this universe is concerned, that makes them omnipotent-they can do just about anything.

NeedleOfInquiry November 2 2013 01:00 AM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Quote:

GoRe Star wrote: (Post 8835040)
But they're not omnipotent. Quinn said so.

But, wasn't this the same Quinn who wanted to end his own life, and risk throwing the Universe into chaos? Quinn had a clear agenda when he spoke with Tuvok. Quinn wanted to convince Tuvok, and Janeway, that his death wouldn't be that big of a deal.

He was proven wrong.

So, I'd think twice before taking him at his word.

Takeru November 2 2013 07:39 AM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Quote:

Nightdiamond wrote: (Post 8836327)
However, as far I've seen, they can make doubles of themselves, stop time, shrink any object, explore alternate realities at will-- as far as this universe is concerned, that makes them omnipotent-they can do just about anything.

The federation can create doubles using the transporter, it happened accidentally so far but that can change, we also saw them shrinking a runabout by flying through a nebula, so the Q recreating something that happens naturally in the Star Trek universe isn't that impressive. Other things like time travel, alternate realities etc. could be illusions, Q claimed that it's all real but we only have his word.

Many things Q does are things the federation can do, only on a larger scale and without the use of obvious technology. Maybe super advanced Q technology is constantly scanning the galaxy and doing whatever a Q wants, instead of walking to the replicator, saying "Tea, Earl Grey, hot!" and carrying the cup back to your desk all a Q does is thinking, snapping his finger and the tea comes to him.

The Q claim they can do everything but is what we saw really that exceptional? The traveller sped up the Enterprise and it ended up god knows where, Q never even made them leave the galaxy. The Q blew up stars but so did Soran, the Q can "beam" and "replicate" but so can everyone else except the Kazon.

Q claimed that changing the gravitational constant of the universe is easy but we never saw him do anything on a universal scale, maybe he was just boasting. "I can fly, you can't but I conveniently lost my powers, so let's find another way to get the cat out of the tree".

MNM November 2 2013 12:02 PM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Quote:

Takeru wrote: (Post 8839861)
The federation can create doubles using the transporter,

And like you say, that happens by accident and a process they dont particularly undertsand. Q can click his fingers and create 1 million yous. He doesnt even have to actually click his fingers to do so either thats just a vusual aid.

grendelsbayne November 2 2013 12:37 PM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Quote:

MNM wrote: (Post 8840266)
Quote:

Takeru wrote: (Post 8839861)
The federation can create doubles using the transporter,

And like you say, that happens by accident and a process they dont particularly undertsand. Q can click his fingers and create 1 million yous. He doesnt even have to actually click his fingers to do so either thats just a vusual aid.

But it does happen by means of technology, which means it's not at all inconceivable to think that Q's proven abilities could be what you get when a species actually understands perfectly how that technology works and has developed a way to control it by thinking (which is also very clearly possible).

Ronald Held November 2 2013 05:38 PM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
They can do anything that they can conceive of, which speaks for itself.

Harbinger November 2 2013 06:49 PM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Quote:

NeedleOfInquiry wrote: (Post 8838994)
Quote:

GoRe Star wrote: (Post 8835040)
But they're not omnipotent. Quinn said so.

But, wasn't this the same Quinn who wanted to end his own life, and risk throwing the Universe into chaos? Quinn had a clear agenda when he spoke with Tuvok. Quinn wanted to convince Tuvok, and Janeway, that his death wouldn't be that big of a deal.

He was proven wrong.

So, I'd think twice before taking him at his word.

I would trust Quinn's word over Q's. Q has always proven to be a trickster. He's the Loki of the Star Trek universe. Quinn may or may not have been wrong about throwing the universe into chaos. We saw some supernovas happen but nothing on an actual complete universal scale and everything was fixed in an episode.

I'm still not entirely convinced by Q. I'm not saying he and Continuum are not powerful. I mean, even Quinn never says otherwise in regards to that. I just don't fully believe he's as powerful as he claims. Quinn even states that the Q used to be like humans and they just evolved to a point or use super advanced technology that goes beyond human understanding. I would be more inclined to think the being at the center of the galaxy that was imprisoned on that planet may be more of a threat in the end.

T'Girl November 2 2013 07:05 PM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Quote:

NeedleOfInquiry wrote: (Post 8838994)
Quote:

GoRe Star wrote: (Post 8835040)
But they're not omnipotent. Quinn said so.

... I'd think twice before taking him at his word.

Q was unaware than Sisko was going to bitch slap him to the floor.

Not omnipotent.


:)

grendelsbayne November 2 2013 08:34 PM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Quote:

Unspeakable wrote: (Post 8841250)
Quote:

NeedleOfInquiry wrote: (Post 8838994)
Quote:

GoRe Star wrote: (Post 8835040)
But they're not omnipotent. Quinn said so.

... I'd think twice before taking him at his word.

Q was unaware than Sisko was going to bitch slap him to the floor.

Not omnipotent.


:)

That's omniscience...

NeedleOfInquiry November 2 2013 10:51 PM

Re: How Powerful Are The Q / Continuum?
 
Quote:

Unspeakable wrote: (Post 8841250)
Quote:

NeedleOfInquiry wrote: (Post 8838994)
Quote:

GoRe Star wrote: (Post 8835040)
But they're not omnipotent. Quinn said so.

... I'd think twice before taking him at his word.

Q was unaware than Sisko was going to bitch slap him to the floor.

Not omnipotent.


:)

The Sisko-Fist remains the Federation's best defense against demigods. ;)


I think there are three explanations for why Sisko was able to touch Q:

1. The most obvious reason, is that Q mearly played it up for drama, and was uninjured.

2. Q is more vulnerable in his humanoid form.

3. My personal favorite reason, is that Sisko's half Prophet heritage makes him effective against the Q.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.