The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Savage Curtain's honor guard (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=229486)

LMFAOschwarz October 27 2013 11:55 PM

Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
In The Savage Curtain, Kirk orders a presidential honor detachment to greet the alien who appears as Abraham Lincoln. When Lincoln materialized on the transporter, and as he steps off, I noticed the guards pointing their phasers at Lincoln.

Granted it was a symbolic affair, but is it customary for guards to point their weapons directly at the President? :wtf:

I accept the kinda cheap, tinny-sounding 'taped' music that was played for the event, but the weapon thing seemed strange.

Ho Ho Homeier October 28 2013 12:13 AM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Possibly because Kirk knew it really couldn't be Lincoln, and was some type of alien impostor.

Or maybe the guards were from the South. :shifty:

SnowboredShipCapt'n October 28 2013 12:15 AM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
His order was "Security, send a detachment to the transporter room immediately, phaser sidearms, and be prepared to give presidential honors." It may have been partially sarcastic on that last part, but I think he was preparing for all eventualities, depending on what Bones' medical tricorder showed they had beamed aboard, and putting caution first. His last order to them before Lincoln materialized was "Security, stand ready."

As Kirk explained to Lincoln, "A starship on active duty never carries an honor detachment."

GSchnitzer October 28 2013 12:22 AM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Quote:

LMFAOschwarz wrote: (Post 8821051)
In The Savage Curtain, Kirk orders a presidential honor detachment to greet the alien who appears as Abraham Lincoln. When Lincoln materialized on the transporter, and as he steps off, I noticed the guards pointing their phasers at Lincoln.

Granted it was a symbolic affair, but is it customary for guards to point their weapons directly at the President? :wtf:

I accept the kinda cheap, tinny-sounding 'taped' music that was played for the event, but the weapon thing seemed strange.

It makes sense: Lee Bergere had to deliver his line "If those are weapons, please lower them" line. The scene needed to blocked so that the guards' phasers were drawn and leveled at Lincoln.

LMFAOschwarz October 28 2013 06:16 AM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Quote:

GSchnitzer wrote: (Post 8821159)
It makes sense: Lee Bergere had to deliver his line "If those are weapons, please lower them" line. The scene needed to blocked so that the guards' phasers were drawn and leveled at Lincoln.

True enough, that reinforces that it was intended from the beginning. Clearly they were ready for diplomatic functions such as greeting dignitaries (i.e. Journey to Babel), and they didn't point their weapons at Sarek, so it must've been Lincoln-specific such as you say. It just looked odd to me, because otherwise they were respectful to Lincoln in every way. I wasn't implying they were in error, but I guess it was a good thing that that 'young and inexperienced' guard from Friday's Child wasn't there! :)

SnowboredShipCapt'n October 28 2013 02:25 PM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Quote:

LMFAOschwarz wrote: (Post 8822041)
I guess it was a good thing that that 'young and inexperienced' guard from Friday's Child wasn't there! :)

A President!!!
(pulls trigger)

RandyS October 28 2013 04:09 PM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Quote:

LMFAOschwarz wrote: (Post 8821051)
In The Savage Curtain, Kirk orders a presidential honor detachment to greet the alien who appears as Abraham Lincoln. When Lincoln materialized on the transporter, and as he steps off, I noticed the guards pointing their phasers at Lincoln.

Granted it was a symbolic affair, but is it customary for guards to point their weapons directly at the President? :wtf:

Both guards were descendants of Booth?

Grant October 28 2013 05:36 PM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Quote:

GoredShipCapt'n wrote: (Post 8822629)
Quote:

LMFAOschwarz wrote: (Post 8822041)
I guess it was a good thing that that 'young and inexperienced' guard from Friday's Child wasn't there! :)

A President!!!
(pulls trigger)

How rude--that's not how it happened at all!!

Metryq October 28 2013 06:42 PM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Gun safety:

1. Always point the gun in a safe direction.

2. Always keep your finger outside the trigger guard, except when ready to fire...


An officer giving a gun safety lecture used this photo, and it got a chuckle from the class. Although, phasers do not have trigger guards.

SnowboredShipCapt'n October 28 2013 08:38 PM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Quote:

Grant wrote: (Post 8823118)
Quote:

GoredShipCapt'n wrote: (Post 8822629)
Quote:

LMFAOschwarz wrote: (Post 8822041)
I guess it was a good thing that that 'young and inexperienced' guard from Friday's Child wasn't there! :)

A President!!!
(pulls trigger)

How rude--that's not how it happened at all!!

Only because the Capellans were armed. ;)

Merry Christmas October 29 2013 12:31 AM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Quote:

GoredShipCapt'n wrote: (Post 8822629)
A President!!!
(pulls trigger)

A Republican !!!
(pulls trigger)

Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8821126)
maybe the guards were from the South. :shifty:

A Damn Yankee !!!
(pulls trigger)


:)

LMFAOschwarz October 29 2013 04:10 AM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Well, you guys can have some fun, so here's mine! :)

http://s13.postimg.org/k8s7r9n77/friday.jpg

Ho Ho Homeier October 29 2013 04:44 AM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
:techman: Lincoln pulls out a kligat and kills him. Grant's one of the fastest on-screen deaths, I think he's on the planet surface less than 15 seconds before biting it.

LMFAOschwarz October 29 2013 04:48 AM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
Kirk: kligats...you used kligats as a boy, didn't you?
Lincoln: Indeed I did...

Ho Ho Homeier October 29 2013 05:01 AM

Re: Savage Curtain's honor guard
 
That's how he got the nickname, the Rail Splitter.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.