The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Voyager (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Janeway: Hero Or Villain? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=229417)

TayLaLaLa October 27 2013 06:47 AM

Janeway: Hero Or Villain?

Vote! :borg:

Did Kat have the best interest of her crew and The Federation in mind?

TayLaLaLa October 27 2013 06:50 AM

Re: Janeway: Hero Or Villain?

I went with Hero. :bolian: She did the best she could.

R. Star October 27 2013 07:12 AM

As much crap as I give the character, I can't say villain so I voted other. A well intentioned person, who made a lot of morally questionable calls.

teacake October 27 2013 07:38 AM

A total BAMF who got her people home and brought back the dead!

(the important ones, that is)

R. Star October 27 2013 08:20 AM

http://www.firsttvdrama.com/central/dead/carey.jpg

Why didn't you just kill me in season 2 you tease!

Lynx October 27 2013 08:40 AM

Hero!

She did she best she could in a very difficult situation.

Guy Gardener October 27 2013 10:42 AM

She continually tried to sacrifice the Galaxy, and sometimes even the Universe to save 140 people.

The same hundred and 40 people she also constantly tried to sacrifice to save her Borgette.

teacake October 27 2013 10:52 AM

^:adore: it's true! She's just that wonderful.

Captain Jed R. October 27 2013 10:54 AM

Other.

She was a flawed human being: she had a caffeine addiction, she was stubborn, she had some obsessive tendencies when certain instances occurred, and over the course of the seven years we saw hints of a self-destructive streak. She coped by making "getting the crew home" her anchor, the thing that drove her on - her primary obsession, so to speak. It became more important to her than her own life, as shown.

For all that, she's a far more interesting character than is superficially shown. She's almost pretending to be a perfect Starfleet Captain even though she isn't, and even though she's almost emotionally crippled by self-imposed expectations. It's a more nuanced performance, more nuanced writing, than I think even it is trying to be. And that's why I love the character.

Lance October 27 2013 10:56 AM

The fact is that she's BOTH of the above. That's what makes her so badass. :devil: ;)

teacake October 27 2013 10:56 AM

Caffeine addiction is listed as a flaw?

And the nuances, I give most of the credit to Mulgrew's performance :)

BruntFCA October 27 2013 11:00 AM

I had to go with villain do to that whole murdering a guy thing.

teacake October 27 2013 11:05 AM

May I vote more than once please?

Lance October 27 2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Captain Jed R. wrote: (Post 8819035)
Other.

She was a flawed human being: she had a caffeine addiction, she was stubborn, she had some obsessive tendencies when certain instances occurred, and over the course of the seven years we saw hints of a self-destructive streak. She coped by making "getting the crew home" her anchor, the thing that drove her on - her primary obsession, so to speak. It became more important to her than her own life, as shown.

For all that, she's a far more interesting character than is superficially shown. She's almost pretending to be a perfect Starfleet Captain even though she isn't, and even though she's almost emotionally crippled by self-imposed expectations. It's a more nuanced performance, more nuanced writing, than I think even it is trying to be. And that's why I love the character.

This is very true. I have always found Mulgrew's performance compelling for this reason. One gets the idea that Janeway is kind of holding it together for her crew's sake but the cracks do show at times.

She's not a seasoned leader in the Picard mold, or even a born leader like Kirk. She's something completely her own, an ordinary human being in an extraordinary situation, and Mulgrew just owned the role from the very first frame of "Caretaker", IMO. :techman:

Captain Jed R. October 27 2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

teacock wrote: (Post 8819044)
Caffeine addiction is listed as a flaw?

I have caffeine addiction, badly. It's a flaw.