The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Netflix-Oh, boy! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=229396)

Mistral October 27 2013 12:37 AM

Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
So, some of the best episodes of Quantum Leap are not part of Netflix. Sadly, this includes the series finale, "Mirror Image". My wife has worked her way through the series-and can't see the finale.
Anyone know where it can be watched?

JD October 27 2013 03:42 AM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
I've run into that with a couple of other shows. It does seem weird, you'd think if they got the rights to a show, they'd get the rights to every episode. Maybe it's some kind of an issue with writers, or actors or someone else from those episodes.

Solstice October 27 2013 04:12 AM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
There's likely nowhere you can legally watch it online. They're not available on Netflix for one of a few reasons:

1. Guest stars' contracts couldn't be cleared for it.
2. Music rights couldn't be cleared.
3. The owner believes it would hurt DVD sales to have the whole series available, so they leave out critical episodes.

Generally, if you can't watch it on Netflix or Hulu or another legitimate online source, your only recourse is to buy it on DVD.

theenglish October 27 2013 04:20 AM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
Yet, these episodes are available on international Netflix packages even though many other things are not.

Mr. Adventure October 27 2013 05:57 PM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
It has "Accentuate the Positive" by Bing Crosby and The Andrew Sisters and "Georgia" by Ray Charles so I could see music rights being the issue.

Tom October 27 2013 06:58 PM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
Hulu Plus has ALL the episodes, just watched Mirror Image the other day.

Mistral October 28 2013 09:19 PM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
Quote:

Tom wrote: (Post 8819887)
Hulu Plus has ALL the episodes, just watched Mirror Image the other day.

I can't afford Hulu plus right now-I'm unemployed and broke. But, thanks!

Lindley October 28 2013 09:35 PM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
Quote:

theenglish wrote: (Post 8818546)
Yet, these episodes are available on international Netflix packages even though many other things are not.

Well then, there's your solution. There are programs out there which fool Netflix into thinking you're in whatever country you like. I haven't used them, but I know they exist. (resource removed)

ToddKent October 28 2013 09:38 PM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
Yeah Quantum Leap is an odd one for Netflix. I recently did a re-watch and, you're right, several episodes are not available for streaming. But I believe they are all available via Netflix DVD rental. (But I'm assuming you aren't on that plan).

I always just assumed that episodes were missing because of music. Every episode is a period piece and many of them contained music from the episode's time period. And music rights seem to be weird from time to time.

dansigal October 28 2013 09:42 PM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
Assuming you and your wife haven't already signed up, Hulu Plus offers a free trial month.

marillion October 28 2013 09:51 PM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
On a somewhat related note, have any of you, like me, gotten somewhat tired of the lack of GOOD streaming movies available on Netflix? I've gone back to ordering more DVDs by mail.. I've about run through any of the movies I care about seeing on their "instant" plan... SO many asylum-esque titles...

Mister Fandango October 28 2013 10:23 PM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
Quote:

Lindley wrote: (Post 8823937)
Quote:

theenglish wrote: (Post 8818546)
Yet, these episodes are available on international Netflix packages even though many other things are not.

Well then, there's your solution. There are programs out there which fool Netflix into thinking you're in whatever country you like. I haven't used them, but I know they exist. (resource reference removed).

So referring to BitTorrents in pretty much any way is wrong, but showing people how to do things like this is perfectly reasonable?

Bah Humbug October 28 2013 10:31 PM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
Quote:

Mister Fandango wrote: (Post 8824168)
Quote:

Lindley wrote: (Post 8823937)
Quote:

theenglish wrote: (Post 8818546)
Yet, these episodes are available on international Netflix packages even though many other things are not.

Well then, there's your solution. There are programs out there which fool Netflix into thinking you're in whatever country you like. I haven't used them, but I know they exist. (resource reference removed).

So referring to BitTorrents in pretty much any way is wrong, but showing people how to do things like this is perfectly reasonable?

You still have to have a Netflix subscription.

Lindley October 28 2013 10:34 PM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
Quote:

Mister Fandango wrote: (Post 8824168)
Quote:

Lindley wrote: (Post 8823937)
Quote:

theenglish wrote: (Post 8818546)
Yet, these episodes are available on international Netflix packages even though many other things are not.

Well then, there's your solution. There are programs out there which fool Netflix into thinking you're in whatever country you like. I haven't used them, but I know they exist. (resource reference removed).

So referring to BitTorrents in pretty much any way is wrong, but showing people how to do things like this is perfectly reasonable?

Iffy I suppose. The distinction in my mind is that it's legal content. I see it like buying a region-free DVD player.

theenglish October 29 2013 01:13 AM

Re: Netflix-Oh, boy!
 
Quote:

Lindley wrote: (Post 8824228)
Quote:

Mister Fandango wrote: (Post 8824168)
Quote:

Lindley wrote: (Post 8823937)

Well then, there's your solution. There are programs out there which fool Netflix into thinking you're in whatever country you like. I haven't used them, but I know they exist. (resource reference removed).

So referring to BitTorrents in pretty much any way is wrong, but showing people how to do things like this is perfectly reasonable?

Iffy I suppose. The distinction in my mind is that it's legal content. I see it like buying a region-free DVD player.

I don't want to get into a discussion about legalities, but your Netflix subscription allows you to move between countries. You are presented with content based on the package from the region or country that you are in. When I travel to the States or even Canada, I spend my evenings watching Netflix stuff I can't get elsewhere.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.