The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Crazily shaped assignment patches (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=229381)

Captain Jed R. October 26 2013 05:43 PM

Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
Ok, so the purpose of the various symbols used on different uniforms during TOS was to denote the ship an officer was assigned to. Common-ish knowledge, decent enough concept. What that doesn't explain though is the absolutely batshit crazy design of some of them. I can sort of see the simplicity of the Exeter design, and everyone loves the iconic arrowhead (I should imagine), but what the hell was the Constellation design about? Or that off-centre arrow for Defiant? Or the vaguely-rear-end shape of the Antares? And what is it about a squiggly line that says "Constellation", assuming it wasn't just the Admiralty deciding "the hell with it, go crazy, design me a patch that looks like a rear end".

BillJ October 26 2013 05:58 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
The Defiant had the arrowhead of the Enterprise in the episode The Tholian Web, What they did in In a Mirror, Darkly was a retcon.

It's unclear how the patches actually related to various ships. Some Starbase personnel actually wore the Enterprise arrowhead as well.

BigJake October 26 2013 06:09 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
Quote:

Captain Jed R. wrote: (Post 8816722)
And what is it about a squiggly line that says "Constellation", assuming it wasn't just the Admiralty deciding "the hell with it, go crazy, design me a patch that looks like a rear end".

Props-wise I'd guess the main mandate was just to get them done in time for the shoot and make them impossible to mistake for each other by the viewer.

Personally I actually loved the wacky assignment patches and missed them in later incarnations of Trek...

Captain Jed R. October 26 2013 07:06 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
Quote:

BigJake wrote: (Post 8816776)
Quote:

Captain Jed R. wrote: (Post 8816722)
And what is it about a squiggly line that says "Constellation", assuming it wasn't just the Admiralty deciding "the hell with it, go crazy, design me a patch that looks like a rear end".

Props-wise I'd guess the main mandate was just to get them done in time for the shoot and make them impossible to mistake for each other by the viewer.

Personally I actually loved the wacky assignment patches and missed them in later incarnations of Trek...

I like them well enough, even if the designs are crazily abstract and there's no way in hell to tell what ship they represent if you don't already know.

The "rear end" comment is actually referring to Antares' patch, which literally looks like a rear end. Best. Patch. Ever. At least from a kooky viewpoint.

King Daniel Into Darkness October 26 2013 07:13 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
The recent novel Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures postulated that the different symbols originally represented the different species' fleets which merged to become UFP Starfleet, with the arrowhead belonging to the UESPA.

BigJake October 26 2013 07:25 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
Quote:

Captain Jed R. wrote: (Post 8816977)
The "rear end" comment is actually referring to Antares' patch, which literally looks like a rear end. Best. Patch. Ever. At least from a kooky viewpoint.

Yeah, I never noticed it from quite that angle before... :wtf:

Captain Jed R. October 26 2013 07:42 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
Quote:

BigJake wrote: (Post 8817046)
Quote:

Captain Jed R. wrote: (Post 8816977)
The "rear end" comment is actually referring to Antares' patch, which literally looks like a rear end. Best. Patch. Ever. At least from a kooky viewpoint.

Yeah, I never noticed it from quite that angle before... :wtf:

It could also, if you squint, be a particularly impressive set of a certain element of female anatomy, but I think the rear end is more innocuous in that respect.

GSchnitzer October 26 2013 09:22 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
Although that might be common-ish knowledge, here's some information which isn't so commonly-ish known:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?p=2329

(Because of a glitch on our website, you might have to hit your Refresh button after clicking the link.)

Quote:

Captain Jed R. wrote: (Post 8816722)
Ok, so the purpose of the various symbols used on different uniforms during TOS was to denote the ship an officer was assigned to. Common-ish knowledge, decent enough concept. What that doesn't explain though is the absolutely batshit crazy design of some of them. I can sort of see the simplicity of the Exeter design, and everyone loves the iconic arrowhead (I should imagine), but what the hell was the Constellation design about? Or that off-centre arrow for Defiant? Or the vaguely-rear-end shape of the Antares? And what is it about a squiggly line that says "Constellation", assuming it wasn't just the Admiralty deciding "the hell with it, go crazy, design me a patch that looks like a rear end".


CrazyMatt October 26 2013 09:53 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
All of the patches, I believe, from the original series were hatched from the fertile mind of Bill Theiss.

The Constellation patch (to me, at least) seems to be an "art deco-ish" concept of a planet-like heavenly body (not one of the female guest stars that Kirk seduced) traversing the galaxy. The Exeter Patch seems to be the 'blazed paths' between five heavenly bodies...

By the way, the Enterprise patch seems to be a stretched, rotated and off-center version of the Federation pennants seen on the sides of the ship. The Defiant patches seen in "In A Mirror, Darkly" seem to be a different type of off-shoot of the pennant.

Captain Jed R. October 26 2013 10:04 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
Quote:

GSchnitzer wrote: (Post 8817310)
Although that might be common-ish knowledge, here's some information which isn't so commonly-ish known:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?p=2329

(Because of a glitch on our website, you might have to hit your Refresh button after clicking the link.)

Now that is a fascinating read.

I notice when I saw various Phase II episodes that Phase II does use separate emblems. I take it that's a decision to follow visual canon, not behind the scenes edicts?

CrazyMatt October 26 2013 10:25 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
One thing also regarding the Starfleet Command, Constellation and Exeter patches: They're all made with different materials than the gold fabric and black stitching of the Enterprise patch.

The Constellation has the gold fabric, but it also has a lace webbing and silver stitching.

The Exeter has a flat brown fabric, with silver fabric disks.

The Starfleet Command patch is a plastic flower thingy that to this day apparently is sold in craft stores.

It's always disappointing to me to see other assignment patches that fans create that simply mimic the design concept of gold fabric/black stitching ala the Enterprise patch. And most of the designs seem to just be random shapes or blobs just thrown together without rhyme or reason.

Be more creative, fans, please! Think outside the box like Bill Theiss did! He had no money, so he got his ideas and designs using bargain basement sources... why not try his tactics and see what original ideas bubble up in your own fertile minds?

J.T.B. October 26 2013 11:01 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
Quote:

Captain Jed R. wrote: (Post 8816722)
Ok, so the purpose of the various symbols used on different uniforms during TOS was to denote the ship an officer was assigned to. Common-ish knowledge, decent enough concept. What that doesn't explain though is the absolutely batshit crazy design of some of them.

Well, the non-Enterprise ones were basically found objects of clothing, jewelry or whatever, snipped into somthing that looked interesting and fututistic or "spacey." But who can say they don't have some reason or meaning in-universe, and we just don't know what it is? Not every symbol has to be representational, either. The symbol for the US Navy's Medical Corps, for instance? An oak leaf with an acorn on it. Nothing that really says "medicine" about it, but it's the symbol and that's that.

Warped9 October 26 2013 11:45 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
Quote:

CrazyMatt wrote: (Post 8817424)
By the way, the Enterprise patch seems to be a stretched, rotated and off-center version of the Federation pennants seen on the sides of the ship. The Defiant patches seen in "In A Mirror, Darkly" seem to be a different type of off-shoot of the pennant.

The yellow marks on the red pennants on the sides of the ship were actually a boomerang like shape with rounded points. Hmm, boomerang on red...we hope you come back? :lol:

Shawnster October 27 2013 08:58 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
You may also enjoy our other recent conversations on this topic:

Exeter Patch


Constellation Patch

Starfleet Command Insignia

Divisions, Insignia, Uniforms and Assignment Patches

Maurice October 27 2013 09:01 PM

Re: Crazily shaped assignment patches
 
Quote:

Shawnster wrote: (Post 8820289)

Only one of those links works.

Always test your links! :)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.