The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Productions (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=229372)

Captain Jed R. October 26 2013 01:26 PM

Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
Hi.

I've read that there is a very specific ban on the making of fan films set in the Abramsverse - firstly, where is that specifically said, or has it been said to specific people when they've tried it? Secondly - why, or rather, why specifically the JJVerse?

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

BillJ October 26 2013 03:29 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
I've never heard anything about a ban?

Captain Jed R. October 26 2013 03:42 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8816395)
I've never heard anything about a ban?

I've read people talking about it, whether there is actually one is a different matter of course. There have been specific mentions of this particular limitation on this thread, at the page 2 shown. There are other references elsewhere.

It might not actually exist, just something people assume exist.

King Daniel Into Darkness October 26 2013 05:04 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
Quote:

Captain Jed R. wrote: (Post 8816158)
Hi.

I've read that there is a very specific ban on the making of fan films set in the Abramsverse - firstly, where is that specifically said, or has it been said to specific people when they've tried it? Secondly - why, or rather, why specifically the JJVerse?

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Details here: http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...5&postcount=36

Quote:

andriech wrote:
- you cannot use ANY elements from the movie directed by JJ Abrams. That includes uniforms or the universe established by it. (In other words, if you are talking about Pike and George on the Kelvin in your fan film, they are going to yank it.)

FWIW, the new Trek badges are worn by cadets in P2's "Origins" trailer and there is an Abramsverse-style Romulan in "Star Trek Phoenix" (which also references Romulus' destruction in their intro)

DCR October 26 2013 05:21 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
The ban makes sense - they're giving pretty much free reign to those working with the "back catalog," but nothing that directly references what they're making money with.

Keeping them separate also helps avoid the possibility of lawsuits when a disgruntled fan says the IP holder stole their ideas. The dual continuities act as a firewall. I think it's good for everyone.

Captain Jed R. October 26 2013 05:26 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
It seems a reasonable enough set of guidelines, and despite being oddly specific is actually better than the alternative which is a blanket ban: quite surprising (and thus, a good omen) to see a company with such an open, lenient attitude.

Kruezerman October 26 2013 06:55 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
Well there goes a lot of plans about JJVerse fan films.

Joel_Kirk October 26 2013 06:59 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
^^
I would have loved to have seen some fan films set in the Abramsverse.

captainkirk October 27 2013 10:02 AM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
I asked Bob Orci about it once on Trekmovie and he said that he didn't know anything about it. So if such a rule exists it's from CBS, which is very strange since they don't own the JJverse.

Captain Jed R. October 27 2013 10:37 AM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
Quote:

captainkirk wrote: (Post 8818978)
I asked Bob Orci about it once on Trekmovie and he said that he didn't know anything about it. So if such a rule exists it's from CBS, which is very strange since they don't own the JJverse.

I believe it is from CBS as per the guidelines posted (see King Daniel Into Darkness' post): perhaps it is rather because they don't own the Abramsverse that they don't want anything done? They can decide for themselves whether they think fan films somehow infringe damage what they own in any way (which I think is the main consideration) but they don't think they can decide for... I assume Paramount the movie studio are the ones with JJVerse rights? In any case, they might not think they're in a position to judge that.

captainkirk October 27 2013 11:55 AM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
Quote:

Captain Jed R. wrote: (Post 8819008)
I assume Paramount the movie studio are the ones with JJVerse rights?

To the best of my knowledge the rights are shared between Paramount and Bad Robot. Which is probably one of the reasons why making a new TV series is so hard.

Captain Jed R. October 27 2013 02:10 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
Quote:

captainkirk wrote: (Post 8819110)
Quote:

Captain Jed R. wrote: (Post 8819008)
I assume Paramount the movie studio are the ones with JJVerse rights?

To the best of my knowledge the rights are shared between Paramount and Bad Robot. Which is probably one of the reasons why making a new TV series is so hard.

Then I return to the thought that maybe CBS don't want to speak for them by allowing JJVerse stuff (because it isn't theirs to allow), and so disallow it instead as a safety precaution.

captainkirk October 27 2013 02:33 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
I don't think it's fair, though. The average person doesn't know anything about fan films. The only people who care are Star Trek fans who won't confuse them with anything official.

Captain Jed R. October 27 2013 02:56 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
Quote:

captainkirk wrote: (Post 8819389)
I don't think it's fair, though. The average person doesn't know anything about fan films. The only people who care are Star Trek fans who won't confuse them with anything official.

It's more fair than saying "no more fan films ever", which they're legally entitled to do. Fan films aren't, as they say, a right, they're a privilege.

captainkirk October 27 2013 05:02 PM

Re: Regarding Fan Films set in the Abramsverse
 
True. But it's still not fair. But it's also not confirmed that there is such a rule.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.