The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What would you say if.... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=229123)

foxhot October 23 2013 06:28 PM

What would you say if....

............you were using your daily subway fare machine, which is the tenth and last in a row, and a woman getting ready to leave three feet away from the ninth and tenth machines asks you ''Can I move first?'' Aren't IQ levels at public transportation spots wonderful?

T'Girl October 23 2013 06:33 PM

Re: What would you say if....

Not sure I understand the problem, but I don't use a subway. Are you in fact preventing her movements?

^(oo)^

SJSharksfan39 October 23 2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

foxhot wrote: (Post 8804845)
............you were using your daily subway fare machine, which is the tenth and last in a row, and a woman getting ready to leave three feet away from the ninth and tenth machines asks you ''Can I move first?'' Aren't IQ levels at public transportation spots wonderful?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you talking about the turnstyle where you actually put the ticket in and the things open up? If the lady is in the 9th one, and you are in the last, why not she just stick with the one she was in?

Melakon October 23 2013 06:57 PM

Was she asking if she should put the ticket into the machine before going through the turnstile? Did you just roll your eyes and not answer?

foxhot October 23 2013 07:03 PM

The turnstiles were actually thirty feet behind us. We were at the fare ticket machines. I was about two feet from her, and she was three feet from the last two machines. She'd already gotten her tickets and was about to move away. I guess she felt possessive about her private space, even when it's in a public one. Our particular subway has many quality issues, which could have been a factor in her annoyance. But my sin was moving diagonally forward two feet away from her to buy my ticket. With the few machines that actually work...

Kirby October 23 2013 07:10 PM

I would say "What the f---? We don't have subways in Denver?" Aside from that, and probably because of that, I don't really understand the question. Is this a case of just stepping back because someone wants to go through, or is this person trying to get a jump in line on your or something?

Melakon October 23 2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

foxhot wrote: (Post 8805040)
. . .I was about two feet from her, and she was three feet from the last two the machines. She'd already gotten her tickets and was about to move away. . .

Then it sounds like she thinks you cut her off when she was about to take a step. You're lucky you weren't a victim of walk rage.

auntiehill October 23 2013 07:59 PM

Maybe she was afraid of you and wanted to make sure she could get clear of you before you made a move.

RoJoHen October 23 2013 09:43 PM

What is this "public transportation" of which you speak?

scotpens October 23 2013 09:54 PM

What would you say if....

I wouldn't. :p

MacLeod October 23 2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 8805838)
What is this "public transportation" of which you speak?

Must be some sort of new gimmick. :p

foxhot October 23 2013 10:11 PM

The transportation in question is the Washington Metro, which their ads refer to as ''the finest ride in the nation.'':rommie:

My question to you all is how would you answer such a bizarre question. This Metro system has lots wrong with it, passenger-wise and worker-wise, reliability-wise, quality-wise. But when just buying a ticket to get in is the issue, is there any hope for rational society?

I'm more amused than angered by this incident. It's obviously a petty triviality. I answered her: ''Certainly. But this is a public machine, and neither of us is in each other's way, so what's stopping you?'' But if you were asked that question, what would you all tell her? TNZ-style, or otherwise?

Mr. Laser Beam October 23 2013 10:13 PM

^ What's the big deal about the Metro? I've been to DC, ridden the Metro many times, never had any problems with it. :shrug:

foxhot October 23 2013 10:15 PM

During rush hour, I'd guess. The horror list is incredibly long. Service before 2004 was generally outstanding. Hopefully it will improve as promised, but we're told it may take four solid years of delays and non-rush hour track work.

Mr. Laser Beam October 23 2013 10:17 PM

^ You want to talk rush hour, just try the Lexington Avenue lines (the 4, 5 and 6) in NYC. :ouch: