The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the movie (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=228916)

GalaxyX October 21 2013 05:48 AM

They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the movie
 
Even if it was only a cameo.

I know it wouldn't be easy to write it, but it would have been cool to see him on the big screen one more time, considering the guy probably doesn't have many years left with us :(

MakeshiftPython October 21 2013 06:11 AM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
I'm one of the few that actually wished that Nimoy would not show up in any of the new films, just because I want this new crew to stand on their own with no ties to the original cast. Naturally, I'm especially against a Shatner cameo.

GalaxyX October 21 2013 06:30 AM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
I think new audiences probably wouldn't care either way. But old timers would enjoy seeing a tie in from the old universe. Sort of like a nod to them.

Spock prime was totally unnecessary in the second film, but I thought he worked well in the first one.

Would have been interesting to have Shatner in the second movie as something. Maybe Kirk's grandfather? Heck I don't know? I would have appreciated it.

MakeshiftPython October 21 2013 06:35 AM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
The movies are already riddled with nods and call backs to the original shows and films, I think it's best to just move on. I suppose I'm just immune to fan pandering after the last two Star Wars prequels had George trying to appease to older fans by throwing in a bunch of pointless references "Hey look, it's Chewbaca, you remember Chewbaca, right? In those better films? Weren't they great? Isn't this film great?".

Khan 2.0 October 21 2013 12:22 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
start ST3 with the end of The Deadly Years. Shatner in the chair fending off the Romulans with the corbomite device and Nimoy on the viewer at the science station. Audiences would wonder what the hell is going on (but obviously be loving it), before Urban shows up with the cure and they deage back to Pine/Quinto

Makarov October 21 2013 01:04 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
As someone who never really watched TOS, I thought Nimoy's appearances in both movies was completely appropriate. I could barely remember who Khan was while watching Into Darkness, until Nimoy popped in. I want these movies to respect the very cool altered timeline premise, rather than ignore it.

I trust that if they wanted to put Shatner in there it would be for a good reason, like they have done so far.

iguana_tonante October 21 2013 01:09 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
Quote:

GalaxyX wrote: (Post 8794990)
Even if it was only a cameo.

No.

CommishSleer October 21 2013 02:08 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
Quote:

MakeshiftPython wrote: (Post 8795083)
The movies are already riddled with nods and call backs to the original shows and films, I think it's best to just move on. I suppose I'm just immune to fan pandering after the last two Star Wars prequels had George trying to appease to older fans by throwing in a bunch of pointless references "Hey look, it's Chewbaca, you remember Chewbaca, right? In those better films? Weren't they great? Isn't this film great?".

The Chewbacca stuff didn't cause the problems with the Star Wars prequel. Actually I thought it was good. It gave us background on Chewbacca.

All this complaining about the directors 'pandering' to the fans.
Who cares? As someone else said the non-fans don't realise so it doesn't hurt them. The ;) 'true' fans get a thrill. What's wrong with that? :lol:

Bring Shatner on. Have a cameo by Sisko's grandfather or Riker's great great uncle. Star Trek is not that precious. We had Worf's father/grandfather or something in ST6. Did people cry about it all day and declare the movie ruined?

Did people hate NEM because Janeway made a cameo?

OK I did hate the last episode of ENT because Troi and Riker were in it, well not just because of that :)

MacLeod October 21 2013 02:37 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
Well of course they can still get Shatner to appear in the next film if they wanted to (as an older version of this Kirk). As for Nimoy's cameo in STID I think the film didn't really need it. They had passed the torch in Star Trek (2009)

Khan 2.0 October 21 2013 04:35 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
the torch can never really be passed as Shatner and Nimoy ARE star trek. theres no leaving original trek behind. theyve tried to pass the torch a few times and the torch ends up being passed back again

YellowSubmarine October 21 2013 07:05 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
And when Shatner and Nimoy are no longer among us, Star Trek would be no more?

DaveyNY October 21 2013 07:51 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
Have Shatner do a Harcourt Fenton Mudd camo in JJ-Trek III.

He's certainly heavy enough and would probably pull it off with quite a bit of finesse.

:hugegrin:

trekker670 October 21 2013 07:58 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
Quote:

daveyNY wrote: (Post 8796856)
Have Shatner do a Harcourt Fenton Mudd camo in JJ-Trek III.

He's certainly heavy enough and would probably pull it off with quite a bit of finesse.

:hugegrin:

I actually think that would be awesome.

OpenMaw October 21 2013 10:59 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
Quote:

The Umbrella Corporation wrote: (Post 8795599)

Did people hate NEM because Janeway made a cameo?

Well, you know, it didn't help or anything. :lol:



"Jean Luc. How would you like a trip to Romulous? ..." - Janeway

"...IN A TORPEDO!" - SF Debris (As Crazy Janeway)



As much as I love Shatner. I'd prefer they keep the cameo's out now. I really want to echo what others have said. This is still a fresh cast with a lot of energy. Let them stand proudly with a good, solid and original script free of pandering and cameos. They have all the right elements to make that happen.

DaveyNY October 21 2013 11:38 PM

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m
 
Quote:

OpenMaw wrote: (Post 8797594)
Quote:

The Umbrella Corporation wrote: (Post 8795599)

Did people hate NEM because Janeway made a cameo?

Well, you know, it didn't help or anything. :lol:



"Jean Luc. How would you like a trip to Romulous? ..." - Janeway

"...IN A TORPEDO!" - SF Debris (As Crazy Janeway)



As much as I love Shatner. I'd prefer they keep the cameo's out now. I really want to echo what others have said. This is still a fresh cast with a lot of energy. Let them stand proudly with a good, solid and original script free of pandering and cameos. They have all the right elements to make that happen.

By the time we get to that point...

There won't be anybody left TO DO cameos.

:p


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.