The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   High-Res First Doctor in "Day of the Doctor" Trailer: How? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=228880)

FalTorPan October 20 2013 04:09 PM

High-Res First Doctor in "Day of the Doctor" Trailer: How?

In the "Day of the Doctor" trailer, we get a close-up of the first Doctor. The clarity and level of detail of the Doctor's face obviously exceeds that of any video footage of the first Doctor's stories, and it looks more clear than most if not all publicity stills that I've seen as well.

How in the world did they accomplish this? Was his face Photoshopped from scratch, using available visual references as guides, but ultimately improvising on the rest of the details?

Allyn Gibson October 20 2013 04:15 PM

Re: High-Res First Doctor in "Day of the Doctor" Trailer: How?

Quote:

FalTorPan wrote: (Post 8792329)
How in the world did they accomplish this? Was his face Photoshopped from scratch, using available visual references as guides, but ultimately improvising on the rest of the details?

I assumed it was a CG recreation of Hartnell's face, possibly derived from promo shots for Doctor Who and other work like The Mouse that Roared.

Which reminds me, on a totally tangential note. I've long thought that Hartnell's character in The Mouse that Roared is the first Doctor, who has infiltrated Grand Fenwick to prevent Tully Bascombe from doing anything stupid with the Q-Bomb. Grand Fenwick would be the perfect setting for a Doctor Who story. :)

StCoop October 20 2013 04:22 PM

http://i4.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on...ll-4599104.jpg

Emh October 20 2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

StCoop wrote: (Post 8792353)

Nice find. Looks exactly like what we see in the trailer.

Anyone know which serial that's from? For some reason I want to think it's The Web Planet.

Dimesdan October 20 2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

FalTorPan wrote: (Post 8792329)
In the "Day of the Doctor" trailer, we get a close-up of the first Doctor. The clarity and level of detail of the Doctor's face obviously exceeds that of any video footage of the first Doctor's stories, and it looks more clear than most if not all publicity stills that I've seen as well.

magic.

sttngfan1701d October 21 2013 12:57 AM

Photos back then were still high-res. I'm sure they found a few promo photos of him, scanned them, and did some CG-enhancement.

FalTorPan October 21 2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

sttngfan1701d wrote: (Post 8794153)
Photos back then were still high-res.

Um... duh.

Quote:

StCoop wrote: (Post 8792353)

WOW! I've seen a lot of Hartnell/first Doctor photos, but I had never seen this one. Awesome find!

FreddyE October 21 2013 07:16 AM

That is a great colorisation job...IŽd love to see more of him in color.

Mitty October 22 2013 05:28 AM

We got a semi-surprise old ep find. I wonder if we might get a surprise colourisation. I've seen examples on youtube of colourised clips from Hartnell episodes.

captain crow October 22 2013 04:09 PM

There's a behind the scenes picture that show it's a Hartnell mannequin.

StCoop October 22 2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

captain crow wrote: (Post 8799940)

They all were, except for Matt and maybe David, with their real faces mapped on.

They didn't bother with Colin and Sylvester's faces because let's face it after Davison they gave the job to any old fucker with an Equity Card. (c) Mark Gatiss 1999

Allyn Gibson October 22 2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

StCoop wrote: (Post 8800021)
Quote:

captain crow wrote: (Post 8799940)

They all were, except for Matt and maybe David, with their real faces mapped on.

They didn't bother with Colin and Sylvester's faces because let's face it after Davison they gave the job to any old fucker with an Equity Card. (c) Mark Gatiss 1999

I doubt they bothered with Troughton's face, either, as he had his back to the camera.

And did Gatiss really say that? I knew he wasn't a pleasant person (he called me an "anal retentive asshole" years ago because I criticized his historical liberties in Invaders from Mars), but that's... pretty strong.

Brendan Moody October 22 2013 06:39 PM

It's a line from, "The Pitch of Fear," a comedy sketch Gatiss wrote for Doctor Who Night in the nineties. You can see the sketch on the Beginning boxset or on YouTube, but that line has been removed at Gatiss' request because both of the actors unsurprisingly took offense.

StCoop October 22 2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Brendan Moody wrote: (Post 8800513)
You can see the sketch on the Beginning boxset or on YouTube, but that line has been removed at Gatiss' request because both of the actors unsurprisingly took offense.

Though not until the series came back and he wanted a chance to write for it.

Much like Moffat's infamous interview from around the same time it goes a long way to explaining why I don't like either man.

The Borgified Corpse October 24 2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

StCoop wrote: (Post 8800021)

:guffaw: I feel bad because I love Colin & Sylvester but I still think this is funny.

And while it's not the fault of the actors, I do think there was sort of a haphazard mindset behind the casting during the JNT era. It seemed like the mindset was less about finding the best actor and more about deliberately finding actors who contrasted with their predecessors. Even Davison was, IMO, a somewhat dubious choice. He's a good enough actor that he was able to fake his way through it but I don't think he was really Doctor material, certainly not back then. (He's kind of grown into it while doing the audios. As an older man, he'd acquired a certain deadpan, Pertwee-esque charm to go alongside his youthful earnestness.)