The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   COTEOF - Question (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=228346)

CommishSleer October 13 2013 09:58 AM

COTEOF - Question

I just watched COTEOF and have a question.
I'm sorry if you've been over this before.

I'm wondering how Spock see the two different fates of Edith Keeler on his tricorder?
He was recording history before/as McCoy jumped so I think he should have recorded McCoy saving her.
Then where does he get the recording of the car accident?

If he recorded the car accident then where does he get the recordings after McCoy saved her.

Sorry if there is some obvious answer I haven't thought of.

The Old Mixer October 13 2013 12:58 PM

Re: COTEOF - Question

First, good lord that's an ugly acronym.

Second, I'd have to rewatch to be sure, but I think he made a series of scans after McCoy went in, at which point the timeline was altered...and it was because he was working with stone knives and bearskins that there was any doubt which recordings were from which version of the timeline.

Metryq October 13 2013 01:19 PM

You're expecting any time travel story with paradoxes to make sense? "City on the Edge of Forever" is more than just alternate time lines, it invokes outright paradoxes, a common fault of far too many time travel stories.

RandyS October 13 2013 03:12 PM

The Guardian works in mysterious ways.....

Shawnster October 13 2013 05:19 PM

What also doesn't make sense is Spock berating Kirk for saving Keeler when she stumbled on the stairs. "That could have been the moment she died." Um, no. You saw her obit, Spock, so you know the date she died. Odds are the obit might have also included how she died.

Mr. Laser Beam October 13 2013 06:01 PM

IIRC, Spock was scanning history through the Guardian even before McCoy jumped through it.

Melakon October 13 2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

George Steinbrenner wrote: (Post 8764768)
IIRC, Spock was scanning history through the Guardian even before McCoy jumped through it.

This. Spock had separate record tapes he was viewing, just like we might compare two different but similar files on a computer.

Umbrella Corporation, you can usually refer to the episode as "City" and people will know what you're talking about. ;)

T'Girl October 13 2013 07:12 PM

A question that alway comes to me watching this episode is, immediately after subduing McCoy, why wasn't he beamed up to the ship and sickbay?

He had a dangerous overdose of a drug in his system and they just let him lay on the ground while they examine the Guardian.

They could/should have done both, sent McCoy immediately back to the ship, and examined the Guardian.

Melakon October 13 2013 07:16 PM

^ But then the episode's over before the first act ends, and we never learn about Edith Keeler. It was just a framing device that Ellison used to get to the real story he wanted to tell.

FormerLurker October 13 2013 08:02 PM

Actually it was Dorothy Fontana and GR's device. Ellison's device was a Scotty pastiche* named Beckwith, who was a drug dealer and a murderer.

*Ellison will never admit it, but Beckwith was doing Scotty's job, and the military vets at NBC would have picked up on it and made GR change the character to cut down on cast salary expenditures. And cut their budget.

Melakon October 13 2013 08:19 PM

I've not read Ellison's original script, but I knew of the drug plot. I was referring to the Guardian of Forever itself as the framing device, which I thought was his invention.

Nerys Myk October 13 2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

FormerLurker wrote: (Post 8765275)
Actually it was Dorothy Fontana and GR's device. Ellison's device was a Scotty pastiche* named Beckwith, who was a drug dealer and a murderer.

*Ellison will never admit it, but Beckwith was doing Scotty's job, and the military vets at NBC would have picked up on it and made GR change the character to cut down on cast salary expenditures. And cut their budget.

What was Beckwith doing that would be Scotty's job? Scotty's the Chief Engineer and has other engineer's working under him. They used "guest crewmen" often in TOS, especially in the first season.

Mr. Laser Beam October 13 2013 08:48 PM

I thought Beckwith was just some random security redshirt.

Melakon October 13 2013 09:23 PM

It took Harlan almost the entire first season to finish his first draft according to reports, so maybe he had no idea who the chief engineer was.

Maurice October 13 2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

FormerLurker wrote: (Post 8765275)

BZZZZT. Wrong.

Ellison replaced Beckwith with McCoy in his second draft, not Fontana.