The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Vulcan Salute ? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=228070)

ItsGreen October 10 2013 06:50 PM

Vulcan Salute ?
 
Spock introduces the Vulcan Salute in Amok Time, right handed
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/2144/ybv7.jpg
T'Pau answered left handed
http://imageshack.us/a/img513/4363/hfm5.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8963/2v54.jpg

Surak right handed

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/5557/hv1t.jpg
Sarek right handedhttp://imageshack.us/a/img580/8996/x27s.jpg

Tuvok left handed

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/9537/a381.jpg

T'Pao in mirror universe right handed
http://imageshack.us/a/img18/6736/lbt5.jpg
Voyager (T'Pao's mother left handed to left handed)

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/7859/p0do.jpg
young Spock to old Spock right to right
http://imageshack.us/a/img89/420/keza.jpg

so if this is the customary and time honored Vulcan greeting, how come it isn't always with the same hand by every Vulcan like a handshake or military salute?

Chaos Descending October 10 2013 07:03 PM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Quote:

ItsGreen wrote: (Post 8752165)
... if this is the customary and time honored Vulcan greeting, how come it isn't always with the same hand by every Vulcan like a handshake or military salute?

I think a FAR better question is "why would an alien custom necessary have to follow any traditional human paradigms?"

Metryq October 10 2013 10:17 PM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Maybe the handedness indicates the political party one belongs to. Or maybe that's how one recognizes the good Vulcans and bad Vulcans, or evil twins in alternate universes. (The Latin "sinister" also means left, on the left, as well as awkward, wrong, perverse, unlucky, injurious, which may be why left-handed people were persecuted throughout history. Fans of OH! MY GODDESS may have noticed that World of Elegance's black wing is on the left.)

Melakon October 10 2013 10:34 PM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Maybe it's just whether you're right-handed or left-handed, and doesn't really matter according to Vulcan social conventions. There's no physical contact like with a handshake. It might be more like a wave.

Shawnster October 11 2013 02:41 AM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Maybe it's the same reason why the Bajoran earring isn't consistently worn on the same ear by all Bajorans.

Rayna October 11 2013 07:10 AM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Quote:

Chaos Descending wrote: (Post 8752219)
Quote:

ItsGreen wrote: (Post 8752165)
... if this is the customary and time honored Vulcan greeting, how come it isn't always with the same hand by every Vulcan like a handshake or military salute?

I think a FAR better question is "why would an alien custom necessary have to follow any traditional human paradigms?"

I think we have a winner...

A beaker full of death October 11 2013 07:27 AM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Quote:

Rayna wrote: (Post 8755336)
Quote:

Chaos Descending wrote: (Post 8752219)
I think a FAR better question is "why would an alien custom necessary have to follow any traditional human paradigms?"

I think we have a winner...

And the answer is so that the human, American, 1960s audience will be able to understand, if not relate to, the characters.

As for the Vulcan salute, we all know it originates with the blessing of the Cohanim. What's funny is that many people, like Celia Lovsky, couldn't do it, so someone assisted manually before the cameras rolled, and they just kept their hand in that position and raised it up at the right time.

Shawnster October 11 2013 02:38 PM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Quote:

A beaker full of death wrote: (Post 8755393)

And the answer is so that the human, American, 1960s audience will be able to understand, if not relate to, the characters.

In the 60s, the 2 finger peace sign salute was quite popular.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/13...g-pages-31.gif

Was this hand gesture always used with the same hand? I think that the generation of the 60s that used this hand gesture could relate quite comfortably with the Vulcan salute without it mattering which hand the salute or gesture was made with.

Nerys Myk October 11 2013 02:58 PM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Probably a dominant hand sort of thing. It's possible that some of the actors could only don't with one hand. And as mentioned, some couldn't do it with either.

Gov Kodos October 11 2013 03:13 PM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Or the hand usage works like the British v-fingers?

mb22 October 11 2013 03:49 PM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Cohanim use both hands:
http://www.jordicohen.com/wp-content...s/IMG_9260.jpg

A beaker full of death October 11 2013 07:22 PM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
^ No peeking allowed!

mb22 October 11 2013 08:35 PM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
The hands are usually covered - not sure what young Nimoy got to peek at.

Melakon October 11 2013 09:48 PM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Quote:

Shawnster wrote: (Post 8756422)
Quote:

A beaker full of death wrote: (Post 8755393)

And the answer is so that the human, American, 1960s audience will be able to understand, if not relate to, the characters.

In the 60s, the 2 finger peace sign salute was quite popular.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/13...g-pages-31.gif

Was this hand gesture always used with the same hand? I think that the generation of the 60s that used this hand gesture could relate quite comfortably with the Vulcan salute without it mattering which hand the salute or gesture was made with.

I know that gesture dates at least as far back as WWII (V for Victory), and might go back earlier than that.

Richard Nixon frequently used both hands in the pose when arriving at a destination to greet well-wishers.

SignGuyHPW October 12 2013 12:44 AM

Re: Vulcan Salute ?
 
Nimoy picked this gesture because it was an old Jewish hand gesture that he thought would work for the character. I'm not sure if using it with a particular hand was something that got deemed important. There's tons of reasons to be used to explain why they could use it with different hands.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.