The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   American Horror Story - Coven (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=228025)

SamhainLikeYou October 10 2013 06:28 AM

American Horror Story - Coven

http://www.fxnetworks.com/ahs

The third season starts tonight, which I have been anticipating. I like the ensemble cast featuring strong female leads like Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, and Emma Roberts.

Rate and discuss. What say you?

EDIT: Possible spoilers

Starkers October 10 2013 09:08 AM

Re: American Horror Story - Coven

Cool, reckon that means it'll start in the UK within the next couple of weeks (probably just in time for Halloween which is when seasons 1 and 2 started over here as far as I'm aware)

Really looking forward to it, even though Asylmum's resolution was a bit meh.

Guy Gardener October 10 2013 09:17 AM

The Kathy bates stuff is entertainingly stomach churning.

Not liking the teen coven.

I think really it's the idea of setting it in the present that I don't like.

Enterprise is Great October 10 2013 06:25 PM

Who knew that Taissa Farmiga had such a killer vagina. Who's next on her vagenda?

So far the young witches looks to be the least interesting storyline of the season. I'm much more looking forward to Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett go at it all season than whatever is going on with these girls.

Shanndee October 10 2013 06:59 PM

I have to find time to watch this. It is on our dvr, but I promised Hubby that I wouldn't watch it without him. He's at work, I have the day off...

I'm not liking my chances here!

timothy October 10 2013 07:05 PM

I did'nt care for season 2 at all i hope season 3 is way bettter :)

Enterprise is Great October 10 2013 08:59 PM

I loved season 2 but I think that this season will top it.

Ratings: Coven Scares Up Horror Story Record

Quote:

American Horror Story: Coven cast a record-breaking spell on viewers.
The third chapter in FX’s creeptastic anthology bowed Wednesday to a series-high 5.54 million total viewers, a double-digit surge over the franchise’s previous record of 3.85 million.

On the demo front, the episode attracted 3.87 million 18-49ers and 2.34 million 18-34ers — both records.

propita October 10 2013 09:30 PM

I couldn't bring myself to watch Asylum, but I did okay with this first episode.

And Jessica Lange is becoming the American Maggie Smith with her fantastic deadpan delivery. "Mary Todd Lincoln"--perfect!

SamhainLikeYou October 10 2013 10:37 PM

It was a good start to kick off the new season. I'm not that invested in the young female characters at Madame Robichaux's Academy; even Lange made a reference to Hogwarts.

Is it me, or are they killing off former cast members like Lily Rabe and Evan Peters? (The characters, not the actors.)

Greg Cox October 10 2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

propita wrote: (Post 8752804)
I couldn't bring myself to watch Asylum, but I did okay with this first episode.

And Jessica Lange is becoming the American Maggie Smith with her fantastic deadpan delivery. "Mary Todd Lincoln"--perfect!

And: "Don't make me drop a house on you."

JD October 10 2013 11:51 PM

This was the first I'd watched the show since the second or third episode of the first season, and I like it. I had actually wanted to try Asylum, but I missed the beginning and I figured I'd rather just wait and watch it on Netflix. I do agree that the young witches stuff is the least interesting so far, but I think it'll be worth it for the adult characters.
Oh, and Evan Peters will be back. They showed the two blondes girls making him into a magical Frankenstein's monster in the preview at the end of the episode.

SamhainLikeYou October 11 2013 07:39 AM

Denis O'Hare, who plays the butler, reminds me of Argus Filch from Harry Potter.

propita October 11 2013 08:50 PM

I read he played the burned man in Season 1.

Praetor October 11 2013 09:01 PM

I liked it, overall. I'm not entirely sure where they're going with it. I'll agree that the teen witches were a bit bland, but I think they're meant to start out that way. I have a feeling they're going to end up pawns in a very elaborate chess game and at that point we'll start feeling more empathy for them.

Surely Lily Rabe, as a witch who can revive the dead, isn't really dead herself?

Sto-Vo-Kory October 12 2013 01:00 AM

I'm guessing Rabe and Peters will be a part of the zombies that they mentioned in the end of episode previews for the upcoming season.

Totally agree with the unimpressive teen witches, but the party bus flip that Emma Roberts conjured up was pretty cool-looking.