The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "Defiance" worth it? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=227695)

Danoz October 4 2013 10:02 PM

"Defiance" worth it?
 
Want to start a new show... anyone seen this one? The quick summary looks promising and I want to know if it's worth starting!

Sindatur October 4 2013 10:08 PM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
Quote:

Danoz wrote: (Post 8729224)
Want to start a new show... anyone seen this one? The quick summary looks promising and I want to know if it's worth starting!

I burned it all to DVD as it was airing, and tried watching it when it finished up. I got a few episodes in, and lost interest. I'm going to try again though, before I give up on it completely

Danoz October 4 2013 10:10 PM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 8729242)
Quote:

Danoz wrote: (Post 8729224)
Want to start a new show... anyone seen this one? The quick summary looks promising and I want to know if it's worth starting!

I burned it all to DVD as it was airing, and tried watching it when it finished up. I got a few episodes in, and lost interest. I'm going to try again though, before I give up on it completely

I've been working a ton and would love to have a new shot to watch an episode an evening for awhile.

Cool -- I'll give the pilots a shot tonight.

C.E. Evans October 4 2013 10:10 PM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
The first several episodes are world-building, where you get to gradually learn what this transformed Earth is now about and get to know the people (and aliens) who live on it. By the time of the first season finale, seeds that were planted here and there since the first episode come to fruition and it suddenly becomes an all-new ballgame.

I'm not really a big fan of post-apocalyptic stuff, but since I was born and raised in St. Louis, I gave it a shot. I liked it enough to actually be looking forward to season two.

Guy Gardener October 4 2013 11:49 PM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
It's awful.

The beginning isn't good, and it just gets worse.

You want a new show?

Orphan Black.

Sindatur October 5 2013 12:29 AM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
Quote:

C.E. Evans wrote: (Post 8729251)
The first several episodes are world-building, where you get to gradually learn what this transformed Earth is now about and get to know the people (and aliens) who live on it. By the time of the first season finale, seeds that were planted here and there since the first episode come to fruition and it suddenly becomes an all-new ballgame.

I'm not really a big fan of post-apocalyptic stuff, but since I was born and raised in St. Louis, I gave it a shot. I liked it enough to actually be looking forward to season two.

Heh, my main interest in it (other than the fact it's SciFi) is Fionnula Flanagan. It's worth trying it out to see Julie Benz, but, Fionnula is DA BOMB!!! (And who knows how many more roles we'll be able to see her in, she is almost 72 afterall, so she may not want to be a Main Cast character in a future show)

Guy Gardener October 5 2013 12:36 AM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
72 isn't old, at least not how she does 72.

Sindatur October 5 2013 12:51 AM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
Quote:

Guy Gardener wrote: (Post 8729782)
72 isn't old, at least not how she does 72.

This is true, and she may be going just as strong at 95, I'm just saying, 72 is past regular retirement age, so she may want to some time

Guy Gardener October 5 2013 01:08 AM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
The grand children are all grown up, and the great grand children know who she is, but if she wants to make an impact on her as yet unborn great great grand children, well then she has to hold on for another 20 years or sign up to a new TV show that's going to be syndicated forever.

I do get your point though. :)

Danoz October 5 2013 02:23 AM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
I started the pilot and it feels like it's going to be slow.

I'll tell you what I'm enjoying against my better judgement, is Revolution -- even with the one-dimensional characters I find I enjoy it.

Honestly, I'm either working or getting to work 12 hours a day. I just want some science fiction candy nonsense for a short time an evening.

Sindatur October 5 2013 02:28 AM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
Quote:

Danoz wrote: (Post 8729986)
I started the pilot and it feels like it's going to be slow.

I'll tell you what I'm enjoying against my better judgement, is Revolution -- even with the one-dimensional characters I find I enjoy it.

Honestly, I'm either working or getting to work 12 hours a day. I just want some science fiction candy nonsense for a short time an evening.

Have you tried Eureka and Warehouse 13? I pooh-poohed them, when they started as being too light and fluffy, but, I recently watched them (Eureka is done, WH13 has another 6 episode season coming to wrap it up) and found they are both extremely fun Series

ElimParra October 5 2013 03:38 AM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
I watched maybe 4 or so episodes when it was on air, but lost interest. I might go back see if it is worth watching. Now other things are more important.

JD October 5 2013 06:01 AM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
I enjoyed it. It does take a little while to really get going, but once it does it's pretty good.

Guy Gardener October 5 2013 06:06 AM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
Until the ridiculous final episode?

JD October 5 2013 06:26 AM

Re: "Defiance" worth it?
 
I think so. All I remember was that I never stopped liking it. I honestly have a lot of trouble with memory, I can't really remember anything more than my basic feelings about a show after it's been off the air for more than a month or two.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.