The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   JJ Abrams apologizes for lens flare (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=227416)

Turtletrekker October 1 2013 07:06 AM

JJ Abrams apologizes for lens flare

Seriously. :lol::techman:

Quote:

I was showing my wife an early cut of Star Trek Into Darkness and there was this one scene where she was literally like, "I just can't see what's going on. I don't understand what that is." I was like, "Yeah, I went too nuts on this."
Quote:

This is how stupid it was — I actually had to use ILM [Industrial Light & Magic] to remove lens flare in a couple of shots, which is, I know, moronic. But I think admitting you're an addict is the first step towards recovery.

Maurice October 1 2013 09:12 AM

Re: JJ Abrams apologizes for lens flare

*yawn*

teacake October 1 2013 09:27 AM

Oh for fucks sake. First they apologize for the underwear and now the lighting?!

Next thing it will be the destruction of Vulcan!

Tosk October 1 2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8712463)
Oh for fucks sake. First they apologize for the underwear and now the lighting?!

"They" didn't apologize for anything...JJ merely admitted that he went too far in a couple of shots with the lens flares.

teacake October 1 2013 12:02 PM

But the subject of this thread tells me otherwise Tosk and I must keep on topic.

JarodRussell October 1 2013 01:22 PM

That poor dude at ILM having to remove the lens flares...

But they would have to do that anyways, wouldn't they? With the 3D conversion. Lens flares are deadly for 3D. They would have needed to remove them, convert the shot to 3D and add the lens flares back in 3D as well.

bbailey861 October 1 2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 8712637)
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8712463)

"They" didn't apologize for anything...JJ merely admitted that he went too far in a couple of shots with the lens flares.

Probably because of and after somebody involved with the SW franchise told him to lay off on them. He did go overboard on them. It wouldn't surprise me if someone told him there will be NO lens flares in SW VII.

King Daniel Into Darkness October 1 2013 02:09 PM

Now he needs to apologize for [insert continuity issue/stylistic choice/underwear scene/ship size/redesign/general Trekkie sacrilege here]!!!:wah:

teacake October 1 2013 02:10 PM

I want him to apologize for Prime Spock dyeing his hair in STID. That's just not right.

King Daniel Into Darkness October 1 2013 02:16 PM

It turns out he didn't! It must have been the lighting or something they altered in post-production. Take a look at grey-haired Nimoy filming the scene here:

22 Stars October 1 2013 02:16 PM

I want him to apologize for 9/11... surely it must be his fault.

NotLKH October 1 2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8713015)
I want him to apologize for Prime Spock dyeing his hair in STID. That's just not right.

So Nimoy had to keep Spock tied with Kirk. Kirk has now died in two movies, so Spock has died in TWOK and now has dyed in STiD! :)

The Wormhole October 1 2013 02:39 PM

As great as it is that he's finally apologized, isn't it rather late? He's already well known around as the "lens flare guy" and parodies of Star Trek now include insane amounts of lens flare because of the Abrams movies, and IDW's comics even draw lens flares into the frames.

Years later, when people look back on the Abrams series all they're going to wonder is "what the hell was up with all that idiotic lens flare?"

Sindatur October 1 2013 03:11 PM

I had no problem with Lens Flares in STiD. It was ST'09, where I was blinded by scenes on the bridge (Though, lens flares in the rest of the movie, that weren't against that stark white background didn't bother me in ST'09)

xvicente October 1 2013 03:41 PM

On the subject of lens flares (shaky cam, etc), this video I like (probably almost everyone aredy see it, but) is a perfect comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAaX8Aq6smQ