The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Prison movies? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=227338)

ReadyAndWilling September 30 2013 11:21 AM

Prison movies?

Hi all, I've been re-watching Con Air a lot recently. I think I've enjoyed it because it really makes me appreciate being a free man and being able to do the small things that I take for granted. I also enjoyed watching John Malkovich's character. I'm not sure if I like John Malkovich as an actor or if I just liked his character in this movie. His character seemed very logical and I liked that.

Are there any other high quality prison movies that share some traits to Con Air that people could recommend?

Thank you!

Captaindemotion September 30 2013 12:06 PM

Re: Prison movies?

The Longest Yard/The Mean Machine from the 1970s with Burt Reynolds (It's been remade as The Longest Yard in the US with Adam Sandler and Burt in a cameo role and as TMM in the UK with Vinnie Jones).

Lockup with Sylvester Stallone

If you fancy a longer investment, try season one of Prison Break, the tv show from the mid/late 00s.

If you want something more thoughtful than Con Air and the like, the ultimate prison movie is the Shawshank Redemption. The Birdman of Alcatraz is also a must-see. Ditto Escape from Alcatraz (Clint Eastwood), Cool Hand Luke (Paul Newman) and the under-rated comedy life with Eddie Murphy.

Ar-Pharazon September 30 2013 12:14 PM

^ Life was definitely underrated. I own the DVD and enjoy it quite a lot.

Another good prison comedy would be Stir Crazy.

ReadyAndWilling September 30 2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Captaindemotion wrote: (Post 8708173)
The Longest Yard/The Mean Machine from the 1970s with Burt Reynolds (It's been remade as The Longest Yard in the US with Adam Sandler and Burt in a cameo role and as TMM in the UK with Vinnie Jones).

Hey brother, thanks for your reply. I've already seen The Longest Yard 2005 and I really enjoyed it.
Quote:

Lockup with Sylvester Stallone
After reading your suggestion I watched the trailer and it seems a lot more 'gritty' than Con Air.

Quote:

If you fancy a longer investment, try season one of Prison Break, the tv show from the mid/late 00s.

If you want something more thoughtful than Con Air and the like, the ultimate prison movie is the Shawshank Redemption. The Birdman of Alcatraz is also a must-see. Ditto Escape from Alcatraz (Clint Eastwood), Cool Hand Luke (Paul Newman) and the under-rated comedy life with Eddie Murphy.
Ok thanks! I've already seen Shawshank Redeption. Escape from Alcatraz and Cool Hand Luke might be a bit too old for me to watch.

JarodRussell September 30 2013 04:12 PM

Stallone's and Schwarzenegger's "Escape Plan" is coming up.

J.T.B. September 30 2013 04:17 PM

Another vote for Cool Hand Luke, a classic and one of my favorites.

Brubaker with Roert Redford was pretty good. I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang was really good.

Quote:

ReadyAndWilling wrote: (Post 8708596)
Ok thanks! I've already seen Shawshank Redeption. Escape from Alcatraz and Cool Hand Luke might be a bit too old for me to watch.

Oh, never mind. About what date did worthwhile movies begin to be made, then?

Dixie Flatline September 30 2013 04:45 PM

The Breakfast Club.

Lumos Ziyal September 30 2013 04:48 PM

Since the 1990's seem to be acceptable ;) , how 'bout The Green Mile?

DarthTom September 30 2013 06:03 PM

The Green Mile and and Dead Man Walking are two excellent prison dramas that also center around the death penalty.

Bah Humbug September 30 2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Escape from Alcatraz and Cool Hand Luke might be a bit too old for me to watch.

Your loss. :wtf:

auntiehill September 30 2013 10:27 PM

Cool Hand Luke is a classic. If you are interested in movies about prison, you need to see it. It's not a freakin' silent film, for God's sake.

ReadyAndWilling September 30 2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

J.T.B. wrote: (Post 8708752)
Another vote for Cool Hand Luke, a classic and one of my favorites.

Brubaker with Roert Redford was pretty good. I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang was really good.

Quote:

Oh, never mind. About what date did worthwhile movies begin to be made, then?

Haha, I didn't mean the old movies weren't watching, I just meant I find it hard to watch these old movies because of the style they were made in.

od0_ital September 30 2013 10:33 PM

^

What style is that?

And why hasn't anyone suggested Tango & Cash?

ReadyAndWilling September 30 2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

DarthTom wrote: (Post 8708980)
The Green Mile and and Dead Man Walking are two excellent prison dramas that also center around the death penalty.

Alright, thanks. I'll check them out!

J.T.B. September 30 2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

ReadyAndWilling wrote: (Post 8710216)
Haha, I didn't mean the old movies weren't watching, I just meant I find it hard to watch these old movies because of the style they were made in.

Maybe what we've got here is a failure to communicate.

Seriously, watch Cool Hand Luke, you'll forget anything about "style."