The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Naming Your Starship (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=227329)

David.Blue September 30 2013 07:34 AM

Naming Your Starship

Just for fun, if you got to name a Federation starship, what name would you choose?

And to make it interesting, don't use any name that is already canon. Enterprise, Farragut, Stargazer, Titan, Excelsior, Voyager, Defiant, Valiant, Excalibur, Lexington, Hood, Reliant, etc. all out of the running.

Toss in the ship class if you're so inclined!

My choice: USS Hippogriff, named for the mythical creature that was the offspring of a griffin and a horse. Made famous by the Harry Potter series. I figure virtually any mythological creature with wings should get a starship named after them! And I'll have her be a Saladin-class.

BigJake September 30 2013 07:49 AM

Re: Naming Your Starship

Easy one. U.S.S. Vanguard -- I like the pedigree of the name from British history and the idea of general forewardness / on-the-edgeness it conveys. (I built an RP around the name before I learned about David Mack et al's Star Trek: Vanguard novels... but I still like the name for a ship better.)

A close second would be U.S.S. Shenzhou based on the series of taikonaut craft, a signal moment in the expansion of the space exploration bug beyond the "West."

iguana_tonante September 30 2013 08:08 AM

USS Iguana, of course.

doubleohfive September 30 2013 08:12 AM

When I was eleven, I got it in my head to write my own Star Trek story about characters not on the show, on their own starship. The name I picked then is the name I'd pick now: USS Aristotle.

C.E. Evans September 30 2013 09:08 AM

USS Mandela, Sovereign-class. Named after Nelson Mandela.

Captain Rob September 30 2013 09:10 AM

How about the USS James T Kirk? If Starfleet named a ship after anyone. It would be him.

BigJake September 30 2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

C.E. Evans wrote: (Post 8707957)
USS Mandela, Sovereign-class. Named after Nelson Mandela.

I like your style...

Quote:

Captain Rob wrote:
How about the USS James T Kirk?

Or in allusion to him: the U.S.S. Tiberius?

Bry_Sinclair September 30 2013 10:08 AM

One name I've always liked for an Olympic-Class medical ship would be the U.S.S. Seacole, named for Mary Seacole.

jpv2000 September 30 2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Captain Rob wrote: (Post 8707960)
How about the USS James T Kirk? If Starfleet named a ship after anyone. It would be him.

Beat me to it. I came in to post this. :techman:

I would make it a Sovereign class.

Chemahkuu September 30 2013 02:19 PM

USS Edison, a Nuverse Newton class.

R. Star September 30 2013 02:22 PM

USS Alamo. That battle deserves to have a ship named after it.

grendelsbayne September 30 2013 02:51 PM

I always loved the idea of ships named for the really great Science Fiction authors. Unfortunately, my only clear favorite in that category already is canon - USS Bradbury.

So, I suppose I'll go for something a little different and say the USS Alexandria, in honor of the great library.

Mr. Laser Beam September 30 2013 02:59 PM

Two ships travelling together: USS Exordium and USS Terminus.

Also I once wrote a TBBS fanfic (which has long since been purged from the board, and I didn't keep a copy :sigh: ) which featured an Earth cargo ship: ECS Mychal Judge.

JarodRussell September 30 2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

David.Blue wrote: (Post 8707843)
Just for fun, if you got to name a Federation starship, what name would you choose?

And to make it interesting, don't use any name that is already canon. Enterprise, Farragut, Stargazer, Titan, Excelsior, Voyager, Defiant, Valiant, Excalibur, Lexington, Hood, Reliant, etc. all out of the running.

Toss in the ship class if you're so inclined!

My choice: USS Hippogriff, named for the mythical creature that was the offspring of a griffin and a horse. Made famous by the Harry Potter series. I figure virtually any mythological creature with wings should get a starship named after them! And I'll have her be a Saladin-class.

I don't think the name "Hippogriff" itself sounds that good.

JariM September 30 2013 05:02 PM

USS Sagan (after Carl Sagan)*
USS Tyson (after Neil deGrasse Tyson)
(Science vessels of course)

*I know there was a Carl Sagan Memorial Station in ENT but Sagan deserves to have a ship named after him.