The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=227260)

Gojira September 29 2013 03:48 PM

Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
Kirk boasted that he would complete the Academy in three years. It seems that McCoy also completed the Academy in 3 years. We see him on the shuttle as a new recruit in Trek09 and he also goes on the mission to Vulcan where he is promoted to Chief Medical officer.

Therin of Andor September 29 2013 04:10 PM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 8704618)
Kirk boasted that he would complete the Academy in three years. It seems that McCoy also completed the Academy in 3 years. We see him on the shuttle as a new recruit in Trek09 and he also goes on the mission to Vulcan where he is promoted to Chief Medical officer.

He probably got credit for some courses because he already held a doctorate.

SeerSGB September 29 2013 05:09 PM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 8704711)
Quote:

Gojira wrote: (Post 8704618)
Kirk boasted that he would complete the Academy in three years. It seems that McCoy also completed the Academy in 3 years. We see him on the shuttle as a new recruit in Trek09 and he also goes on the mission to Vulcan where he is promoted to Chief Medical officer.

He probably got credit for some courses because he already held a doctorate.

That's what I thought too, plus he's a different career path from Kirk.

C.E. Evans September 30 2013 01:36 AM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
I don't think Starfleet is exactly like the U.S. Naval Academy. The rank you graduate with seems dependent on what position you're going for (you can go straight from cadet to a senior officer upon graduation).

Marten September 30 2013 06:38 PM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
A medical officers training could be shorter since they already know medicine when they arive at the academy. There, on the other hand, seems to be few prerequisits for regular cadets.

Cyke101 September 30 2013 06:53 PM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
Quote:

Marten wrote: (Post 8709064)
A medical officers training could be shorter since they already know medicine when they arive at the academy. There, on the other hand, seems to be few prerequisits for regular cadets.

Yeah, I assume that's the same case in the real-world US military, too (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). The big difference between mere enlistment and a terminal degree is that if you already have training in your specialty and thus come in more prepared than your usual cadets.

Besides, the US military is always in need of medical professionals anyway, so I would imagine that anyone who joins up but already has the qualifications would get fast-tracked to get them into service quicker, getting trained more in the military culture and lifestyle and the factors that come into play in such circumstances as related to their medical training.

And, at the very least, we've been taught for years that McCoy himself was a medical genius anyway, considering all the times he saved the crew with some last-minute potion in addition to his professional accomplishments. Even if he had to start from the ground up, there's no reason to think that McCoy didn't work his butt off just as much as Kirk at the Academy.

Mister Spock December 4 2013 06:41 PM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
He's probably spent a few years as a civilian medical doctor, so his course was probably shorter.

Bad Thoughts December 4 2013 07:17 PM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
Some possibilities: Bones joines Starfleet to complete his medical residency; he held something more like a MBBS rather than an MD, but was pursuing the latter; McCoy was an incoming medical student, but was trying to distinguish himself from the other recruits when he described himself as a doctor when he first met Kirk.

Agenda December 5 2013 06:29 AM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
I never liked that whole 3 years comment. Not saying Kirk wouldn't be intelligent enough to do it in 3. But you don't just need intelligence, you need to actually take a lot more courses in a shorter amount of time. Does Kirk in the movie seem like the type of guy to spend almost all his evenings in class? Furthermore, even if he is really smart, Starfleet is obviously really really hard to get through. So it kind of makes it a little unlikely unless you're someone of Spock's caliber.

Nerys Myk December 5 2013 06:35 AM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
Quote:

Agenda wrote: (Post 8976889)
I never liked that whole 3 years comment. Not saying Kirk wouldn't be intelligent enough to do it in 3. But you don't just need intelligence, you need to actually take a lot more courses in a shorter amount of time. Does Kirk in the movie seem like the type of guy to spend almost all his evenings in class? Furthermore, even if he is really smart, Starfleet is obviously really really hard to get through. So it kind of makes it a little unlikely unless you're someone of Spock's caliber.

He has a genius level intellect according to Pike. Apparently tests were given.

Malaika December 5 2013 01:24 PM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
in the comic about McCoy he was already a doctor, he hadn't intended to work in the space his career and plans for the future were to live his life in earth. Then his wife wanted a divorce and it changed everything. In the comics he also meets this kid who is one of his patients whose dream was to join startfleet but doesn't get the chance.. so McCoy basically gets the idea to join it himself from there...
Then like some people already said here, it's pretty possible he graduated sooner because he already was a doctor.

MakeshiftPython December 5 2013 02:30 PM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
Quote:

North Pole Myk wrote: (Post 8976904)
Quote:

Agenda wrote: (Post 8976889)
I never liked that whole 3 years comment. Not saying Kirk wouldn't be intelligent enough to do it in 3. But you don't just need intelligence, you need to actually take a lot more courses in a shorter amount of time. Does Kirk in the movie seem like the type of guy to spend almost all his evenings in class? Furthermore, even if he is really smart, Starfleet is obviously really really hard to get through. So it kind of makes it a little unlikely unless you're someone of Spock's caliber.

He has a genius level intellect according to Pike. Apparently tests were given.

Yeah, they basically applied the story of GOOD WILL HUNTING onto Kirk's background.

Agenda December 5 2013 10:19 PM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
Maybe that's why they originally wanted Matt Damon as Kirk. ;)

Saturn0660 December 5 2013 11:56 PM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
Quote:

Agenda wrote: (Post 8976889)
I never liked that whole 3 years comment. Not saying Kirk wouldn't be intelligent enough to do it in 3. But you don't just need intelligence, you need to actually take a lot more courses in a shorter amount of time. Does Kirk in the movie seem like the type of guy to spend almost all his evenings in class? Furthermore, even if he is really smart, Starfleet is obviously really really hard to get through. So it kind of makes it a little unlikely unless you're someone of Spock's caliber.

True, but all we know Kirk was already done with college and just being a bum in town. So Pike got him in and he maybe took all "fast track" courses.

Nerys Myk December 6 2013 06:42 AM

Re: Did McCoy also graduate in 3 years?
 
Quote:

Agenda wrote: (Post 8979295)
Maybe that's why they originally wanted Matt Damon as Kirk. ;)

I thought that was just me.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.