The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   More people with unusual names? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=227245)

Black Cloud S31 September 29 2013 09:56 AM

More people with unusual names?
 
Would it make sense if more anglo-saxons would have Japanese names, some japanese would have polish names and some people from Scandinavia would have sub-saharan names?

I know it sounds confusing at first but wouldn't there be a lot more diversuty on those terms in a truly cosmopolitan Federation?

T'Girl September 29 2013 11:11 AM

Re: More people with unusual names?
 
One of my cousins is of Japanese ancestry, he was adopted into the family as a orphan baby, and has a Japanese first name (Katsu) and a Portuguese family name (Espada).

It would make a lot of sense that by the time a few more centuries roll by that family names would be "mixed up."


:)

Therin of Andor September 29 2013 11:17 AM

Re: More people with unusual names?
 
Quote:

Black Cloud S31 wrote: (Post 8703928)
Would it make sense if more anglo-saxons would have Japanese names, some japanese would have polish names and some people from Scandinavia would have sub-saharan names?

You mean like Leila Kalomi being played by Jill Ireland, even though the character was conceived as Hawaiian, IIRC?

And Dr Noonian Soong played by Brent Spiner, but conceived to be played by Keye Luke.

Bry_Sinclair September 29 2013 01:09 PM

Re: More people with unusual names?
 
And lets not forget the white British Khan Noonian Singh.

Black Cloud S31 September 29 2013 02:04 PM

Re: More people with unusual names?
 
Quote:

You mean like Leila Kalomi being played by Jill Ireland, even though the character was conceived as Hawaiian, IIRC?

And Dr Noonian Soong played by Brent Spiner, but conceived to be played by Keye Luke.
Interesting, i rarely pay attention to castingin my Trek when it comes to the TV shows.

Quote:

And lets not forget the white British Khan Noonian Singh.
He was almost del Toro, but nice catch.

Greg Cox September 29 2013 04:37 PM

Re: More people with unusual names?
 
Quote:

Bry_Sinclair wrote: (Post 8704243)
And lets not forget the white British Khan Noonian Singh.

As opposed to the Mexican one?

I admit that, as a kid, I didn't pick up on the fact that Leila Kalomi was a Hawaiian name. It just sounded like another exotic alien name like Elaan or Shahna . . . or Dejah Thoris! :)

T'Girl September 29 2013 05:46 PM

Re: More people with unusual names?
 
Princess of Helium.

I've alway wondered if she spoke in a high squeaky voice.

:)

Greg Cox September 29 2013 10:16 PM

Re: More people with unusual names?
 
Quote:

T'Girl wrote: (Post 8705026)
Princess of Helium.

I've alway wondered if she spoke in a high squeaky voice.

:)

That would've made for a very different movie! :)

Nerys Myk September 30 2013 04:16 AM

Re: More people with unusual names?
 
Harry Kim- English and Korean

Hirkaru Sulu-Japanese and Filipino

B'Elanna Torres- Klingon and Spanish

Jose Tyler-Spanish and English

Donald Cory- Asian with an English name.

Arik Soong-Scandinavian and Chinese

Malik-A European with an Arabic Name

Julian Bashir- European and Arabic

and of course

Khan Noonien Soong- A European (in both incarnations) with a name that mixes Central Asian and Chinese who practiced Sikhism.

Misfit Toy September 30 2013 03:56 PM

Re: More people with unusual names?
 
Quote:

Black Cloud S31 wrote: (Post 8703928)
Would it make sense if more anglo-saxons would have Japanese names, some japanese would have polish names and some people from Scandinavia would have sub-saharan names?

I know it sounds confusing at first but wouldn't there be a lot more diversuty on those terms in a truly cosmopolitan Federation?

What about the names Drago-Kazov, Ain Jalut, Lt. Cheka Wey, Zardoza and Jiangnan Freak?

I mean, there's diversity and then there's sock puppetry...

Thread closed.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.