The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Future of Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "300"-style Klingon Mythology Epic Movie? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=227056)

SolitaryJustice September 27 2013 12:37 AM

"300"-style Klingon Mythology Epic Movie?

Maybe a 1-off, just to do, the story of how Kahless came to power? I mean, if you're looking to do a cool sci-fi action popcorn blockbuster, wouldn't that be a logical way to do it? I mean, a Eugenics Wars mini-series or movie series would be pretty badass, too (an adaptation of Greg Cox's books would be f'n awesome if done right). But a Klingon Battle Epic?! I mean, short of getting carried away (which could be easy), what do you think?

David.Blue September 27 2013 01:15 AM

Re: "300"-style Klingon Mythology Epic Movie?

In a few years fans will be able to do this on their laptop.

SolitaryJustice September 27 2013 01:29 AM

I guess so. I was thinking (since I live on freakin' Endor) that I could do a Kashyyyk or Endor based fan film, but that's playing for the other team, and I don't know if I like that idea.

R. Star September 27 2013 03:54 AM

Seems silly at best. Though non stop fan production fight scenes might make a good gag reel. ;)

Bry_Sinclair September 27 2013 06:01 AM

"Again with the Klingons." :lol:

A whole film about Klingon honour and battle would be really tedious I think, they've been overused.

Deckerd September 27 2013 09:16 AM

I agree. The Klingons are two dimensional. They always remind me of Animal in the Muppets. It would be boring.

Bry_Sinclair September 27 2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Deckerd wrote: (Post 8696974)
I agree. The Klingons are two dimensional. They always remind me of Animal in the Muppets. It would be boring.

I'd rather watch a 300-style epic filled with Animal, at least I'd get a few giggles.

Deckerd September 27 2013 11:29 AM

"Bud-dee Rich. My kinda guy."

bbjeg September 27 2013 04:12 PM

I would watch and enjoy a 300 style Klingon movie. :techman:

SolitaryJustice September 28 2013 09:27 PM

I think it would be a cool way to give Klingons some depth and show some understanding of their culture, why they turned out they way they did, maybe what they were like before they killed their Gods.

bbjeg September 29 2013 02:35 AM

I would have the movie told as a story by an elder, an over the top 300 style epic action/adventure.

Black Cloud S31 September 29 2013 10:53 AM

The visual style would be fine with me as long as it has real depth.

JarodRussell September 29 2013 10:38 PM

I always enjoyed the over the top style of all those Klingon mythical stories when the characters told them in TNG or DS9. A heavily stylized, R-rated fantasy epic about how the Klingons slayed their Gods and how Kahless came to power and all that would be pretty enjoyable.

Narrated by James Earl Jones.

137th Gebirg October 9 2013 08:49 PM

It could be done. Many years ago in the early 80's, FASA (or perhaps it was John M. Ford in "The Final Reflection") came up with the concept of the Kinshaya (and apparently carried over into various Trek novels decades later), a warrior race that gave the Klingons a serious nosebleed for centuries, fighting to relative stalemate, but existing in an almost perpetual state of war. It would be interesting to see something like this (called something else, obviously) in a 300-style format.

Melakon October 9 2013 09:21 PM

A couple of potential problems if this is meant as a major motion picture--

Would enough of the general public be willing to go to such a film to justify the cost? Fans might go see it, but what about Joe Blow from Kokomo?

Your box office stars would be unrecognizable under the heavy makeup. Planet of the Apes pulled it off, but a human character was the focal point.