The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Voyager (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Chakotay's Scorpion tale (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=227041)

xvicente September 26 2013 09:26 PM

Chakotay's Scorpion tale

Quote:

CHAKOTAY: There's a story I heard as a child, a parable, and I never forgot it. A scorpion was walking along the bank of a river, wondering how to get to the other side Suddenly he saw a fox. He asked the fox to take him on his back across the river. The fox said no, if I do that you'll sting me, and I'll drown. The scorpion assured him, if I did that, we'd both drown. So the fox thought about it and finally agreed. So the scorpion climbed up on his back, and the fox began to swim. But halfway across the river, the scorpion stung him. As the poison filled his veins, the fox turned to the scorpion and said why did you do that? Now you'll drown too. I couldn't help it, said the scorpion. It's my nature.
Anyone heard that fable before watching it in "Scorpion" (the episode)? I have but it was a turtle instead of a fox.

Queen Arachnia September 26 2013 09:36 PM

Re: Chakotay's Scorpion tale

That's a classic story and actually was an old Native American parable, apparently.

Also it was used in the movie Skin Deep from 1989.

Gov Karnstein September 26 2013 09:46 PM

It's also one of Aesop's fables, his had a scorpion and frog. The tale goes a ways back.

R. Star September 26 2013 09:48 PM

I thought it was a frog too.

Robert Comsol September 26 2013 10:12 PM

I heard that one a long time ago but not in a manner suggesting it had been a Native American fable or involved a fox.

Apparently, it goes way back but probably did originate in the Middle East, as the turtle and the scorpion.

Bob

Guy Gardener September 26 2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Aesop's Fables or the Aesopica is a collection of fables credited to Aesop, a slave and story-teller believed to have lived in ancient Greece between 620 and 560 BCE
Was this supposed to be like Chekoff saying that Russia invented everything?

teya September 27 2013 12:03 AM

Well, see, you take an old fable from the Mediterranean region, change the frog to a fox and that makes it Native American.

Well, at least on Voyager, it does.

The Scorpion & the Frog also featured in "The Crying Game."

teacock September 27 2013 12:29 AM

Whenever characters start telling an aesop type fable to explain military strategy it's embarrassing. Unless they are talking to a 5 year old which they never are.

Praetor September 27 2013 02:41 AM

At least no gazelles were involved.

teacock September 27 2013 03:14 AM

:lol:

And that gazelle is now our personal Trek fable, lucky us.

Praetor September 27 2013 03:24 AM

The gazelle was Trip.

#mindblown

Guy Gardener September 27 2013 03:36 AM

MIndtrip.

Timewalker September 27 2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

xvicente wrote: (Post 8694919)
Quote:

CHAKOTAY: There's a story I heard as a child, a parable, and I never forgot it. A scorpion was walking along the bank of a river, wondering how to get to the other side Suddenly he saw a fox. He asked the fox to take him on his back across the river. The fox said no, if I do that you'll sting me, and I'll drown. The scorpion assured him, if I did that, we'd both drown. So the fox thought about it and finally agreed. So the scorpion climbed up on his back, and the fox began to swim. But halfway across the river, the scorpion stung him. As the poison filled his veins, the fox turned to the scorpion and said why did you do that? Now you'll drown too. I couldn't help it, said the scorpion. It's my nature.
Anyone heard that fable before watching it in "Scorpion" (the episode)? I have but it was a turtle instead of a fox.

There was an episode of Northern Exposure in which the character of Shelly relates the fable by singing it. The animals were a turtle and a snake.

R. Star September 27 2013 05:00 AM

Wouldn't a turtle's shell keep it safe from the scorpion on it's back anyways?

Guy Gardener September 27 2013 05:22 AM

Hmmm?

Maybe the Scorpion was riding inside the shell?

Now no one's deluded and deranged enough to think that it was Seven who was The Scorpion right?

Janeway was.

She screwed over the Borg, and before they could fully express a tanty, she ended the Borg threat on her ship, as is her nature.