The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science and Technology (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   iOS 7 (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=226489)

Captrek September 20 2013 09:22 PM

iOS 7

First impressions of the new iOS?

Personally I'm finding it less attractive and less intuitive than its predecessor. I miss Steve. :(

Metryq September 20 2013 10:51 PM

Re: iOS 7

I like it. Dumping skeuomorphic design was a good idea. Some interface designers were already leaning that way. For example, some video switcher software tries to look like a real control surface, with the shading and lighting effects of those plastic buttons. That compromises the legibility. Blackmagic Design's software interface, for example, is very clean and looks much like iOS 7.

The swipe upward control center is a plus—I like it better than the Home button double-tap. I'm still learning the new gestures and features. The "zooming" effects might be a bit too spectacular—zipping in an out of apps and folders. Wear a seatbelt.

RoJoHen September 21 2013 12:38 AM

Eh, aside from a few design aspects that I don't like (namely the color scheme for text messaging), it's fine. I don't really notice a huge difference in the way that it works.

Chemahkuu September 21 2013 12:46 AM

I like it, I've already got the hang of most of it on my iphone and ipod, looks and performs better than 6 to me.

Tom Hendricks September 21 2013 02:42 AM

I voted Step in Right Direction. While I like a majority of it, there are several changes I genuinely hate. The biggest is the change in the calendar, which I use a lot.

Mr. Laser Beam September 21 2013 03:16 AM

I like iOS7 a lot. Love the no-frills design.

Venardhi September 21 2013 03:28 AM

The app icons are mostly terrible, and the control center/quick settings menu feels like they never quite got around to polishing it up. It is overall a massive improvement visually though. Some of the transition animations could do with being about 30-50% faster. They look nice, but they add a slightly frustrating delay when you're hopping back and forth between various apps and screens quickly.

My iPhone isn't a daily driver though, just a hand-me down I mostly just use in my music dock.

Captrek September 21 2013 09:20 PM

I keep bringing up the Control Center accidentally. I'm used to being able to scroll with that motion.

Warped9 September 21 2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Captrek wrote: (Post 8675215)
I keep bringing up the Control Center accidentally. I'm used to being able to scroll with that motion.

That keeps happening on my iPad and it's annoying.

Bisz September 21 2013 11:39 PM

Overall pretty meh. Its slow (on my iPhone4 and even on my iPad 3), I liked the double tap of the home button to bring up multi-tasking, plus a number of other things annoy me about it.

Captrek September 22 2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8675242)
Quote:

Captrek wrote: (Post 8675215)

That keeps happening on my iPad and it's annoying.

Fortunately, I expect that problem to go away with experience. I just have to get used to starting the scrolling motion from the middle of the screen and not the bottom.

Quote:

Bisz wrote: (Post 8675572)
I liked the double tap of the home button to bring up multi-tasking

:confused: That still works, doesn't it? It looks different, but the app-switching functionality is still there.

Mr. Laser Beam September 22 2013 01:07 AM

^ Yes, it is. The difference is, when you do that double-tap, the apps appear as windows on the screen itself, rather than as icons at the bottom of it. You can swipe among different apps (or swipe UP to quit).

StolenThunder September 25 2013 05:56 PM

Looks better. Sometimes seems a little less responsive. I think it's alright. iOS6 was one of the things that prevented me buying an iPhone (I have an iPod and an iPad).

B.J. September 25 2013 10:36 PM

This doesn't affect me (Android user), but I was wondering what you guys thought of this (received in an email from NASA):

Quote:

Subject: Apple iOS 7 Lockscreen Bypass Vulnerability

What is Happening: A vulnerability in Apple's recently released iOS 7 has been discovered allowing an unauthorized user to bypass the "lockscreen" security feature and gain limited access to a mobile device (iPhones and iPads) and their camera, photo gallery, and other applications which may be accessible from the iOS multitasking menu.

By default, iOS 7 allows its "Control Center" feature to be accessible from the lockscreen. By exploiting this feature's functions, an unauthorized user with physical access to the mobile device may be able to gain access to the device. Additional reports of similar vulnerabilities utilizing the "Siri" and "Emergency Call" features have also been found.

What Should You Do?
ACES has not yet deployed iOS 7 to agency iPhones and iPads. If any ACES or Non-ACES end-users have self-installed iOS7 on their mobile devices, they need to be aware of this vulnerability. At this time, there is not a “fix” ACES is able to push remotely.
All Users are reminded to exercise caution and maintain physical control over their devices at all times.

The following steps can be taken if end-users, with a device running iOS 7, wish to disable some of the affected settings:

Control Center:
1. Open ‘Settings’
2. Tap ‘Control Center’
3. Set ‘Access on Lock Screen’ to Off

Siri (when utilizing a passcode)
1. Open ‘Settings’
2. Tap ‘General’
3. Tap ‘Passcode Lock’
4. Set ‘Siri’ under ‘Allow Access When Locked’ to Off

Mr. B September 26 2013 04:56 AM

I only have an iPhone 4 so I'm sticking with iOS 6 because of the performance issues. For the most part, I've already been enjoying many of the new benefits thanks to jailbreak tweaks.