The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What guest stars would you have liked to see on TOS? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=226171)

CrazyMatt September 17 2013 09:08 AM

What guest stars would you have liked to see on TOS?

With all of the recent discussions regarding TOS guest stars, here’s another question to ponder: What guest stars commonly seen on other TV shows during the mid- to late-60’s would you have liked to have seen guest on Star Trek (but who never actually did)? What type or role would you envision them playing… and would they have been better than an actual guest star in a particular role?

One I can think of right off is Nehemiah Persoff. A great character actor who could play a role with a remarkable bit of depth and subtlety, he could have been a great a bad guy with sorta good intentions, such as Ambassador Hodin in "The Mark of Gideon" (although David Hurst did a pretty good job in his own right).

Your nominees?

BoredShipCapt'n September 17 2013 12:24 PM

Re: What guest stars would you have liked to see on TOS?

I think Noam Pitlik would have made a good Arne Darvin in "Tribbles." He had a somewhat shifty look and was capable of playing vaguely ethnic types, so he would have been believable as a Klingon in disguise. Not necessarily better than Charlie Brill, though.

http://tmsimg.com/showcards/v3/AllPh...4_cc_v3_aa.jpg

The Old Mixer September 17 2013 12:54 PM

Robert Conrad as a rival of Kirk!

Grant September 17 2013 03:22 PM

Too many great ones to just name one........

Don Gordon, Ross Martin, John Dehner, John Larch, Joseph Wiseman, James Whitmore, Simon Oakland, Gail Kobe, Martin Balsam, Martin Milner, James Best, Ann Francis, Vera Miles, Richard Kiel, Joe Maross, Burgess Meredith, Ivan Dixon, Terry Becker, Michael Constantine, Robert Culp, Bill Cosby, Vaughn Taylor, Gary Merrill, Kevin Hagen............

honestly a lot more good actors than there were parts available.

EnsignHarper September 17 2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: (Post 8657014)
I think Noam Pitlik would have made a good Arne Darvin in "Tribbles." He had a somewhat shifty look and was capable of playing vaguely ethnic types, so he would have been believable as a Klingon in disguise. Not necessarily better than Charlie Brill, though.

http://tmsimg.com/showcards/v3/AllPh...4_cc_v3_aa.jpg

Plus he was around Desilu a lot at that time - did a few Hogans, and other shows shot there.

Timewalker September 18 2013 01:16 AM

I'm envisioning Lorne Greene as a commodore, admiral, starbase commander, or any other position of authority.

Push The Button September 18 2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

The Old Mixer wrote: (Post 8657056)
Robert Conrad as a rival of Kirk!

Yes! That would have been so cool, always liked him in Wild Wild West and Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Warped9 September 18 2013 03:20 PM

Considering he was originally offered the part of Spock I'd like to have seen Martin Landau as another Vulcan. Other cast members of M:I I'd have liked to see in TOS were Greg Morris and Barbara Bain. I think Carroll O'Connor would have been interesting guesting on TOS with the right role.

Khan 2.0 September 18 2013 04:12 PM

Roy Thinnes as David Vincent in an Invaders/Trek crossover

Mysterion September 18 2013 04:30 PM

Saw some episodes of Daniel Boone awhile back, and think Fess Parker would have been a good guest star on TOS.

Forbin September 18 2013 05:58 PM

Diana Rigg, Ann-Margaret, Peggy Lipton, Barbara Eden, Barbara Feldon, Joey Heatherton, Michelle Carey, Raquel Welch, Dawn Wells, Suzanne Pleshette, Carolyn Munro, Elke Sommer, Susan St. James, Linda Evans, Jessica Walter, Elizabeth Ashley, Honor Blackman, Nancy Kwan...

Christopher September 18 2013 06:01 PM

I like several of the above suggestions. I'd add Roddy McDowall and Jack Klugman. How about Alan Napier as an Organian?

The Old Mixer September 19 2013 12:44 AM

Adam West! The chance to see him and Shatner as dueling hams in their prime....

I'll also second Anne Francis, whom I considered mentioning in my previous post.

Christopher September 19 2013 12:59 AM

^Adam West was a much subtler actor than people think. He overplayed Batman because he was asked to, because that was the job he was given and he did it very well. I'd love it if he'd gotten more opportunities to do serious acting and show his range -- e.g. a Trek appearance.

Oh, and how could I forget the suggestion I've made before? Vincent Price would've made an amazing Klingon.

The Old Mixer September 19 2013 01:04 AM

^I know. I caught Adam West in an episode of The Rifleman and barely recognized him.