The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Contractor: Rima And Kirk Cut Scene (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=226087)

TrekToday September 16 2013 06:40 PM

Contractor: Rima And Kirk Cut Scene

Nazneen Contractor, who played Rima Harewood, the mother of a sick daughter whose illness set in motion a terrorist attack by her father, explained how her role originally was a bit larger than what appeared on the screen. “I thought it was a very important role and it was much bigger, what we shot, than […]

More...

DEWLine September 17 2013 03:38 AM

Re: Contractor: Rima And Kirk Cut Scene

Having seen much more of Contractor's range as an actor on The Border, I do wish that scene could've been fitted into the finished movie.

drumvan September 17 2013 02:10 PM

another case of a potentially very cool scene being cut just to save 30 seconds of screen time. this might have greatly helped the final scenes seem not so rushed.

22 Stars September 17 2013 04:00 PM

Even just show it during the closing VO montage, it's called closure, a simple thematic tool that JJ seems to ignore. Introduce something at the beginning and pay it off at the end.

YellowSubmarine September 17 2013 04:05 PM

Now I want an alternative cut of the film.

22 Stars September 17 2013 04:43 PM

This should be on the bonus disc, available only at 7 Eleven, on Wednesday afternoons.

Enterprise is Great September 17 2013 05:52 PM

I wouldn't have cared to have had it in the film but deleted scenes like this should've been on the blu-ray/dvds.

Franklin September 17 2013 06:19 PM

Good cut. I'm not sure that scene added anything important to the movie. We know the girl was going to get better, and we know she and Kirk both have Khan's blood. Why do they have to share a knowing moment? It was far better to segue seamlessly from Kirk's speech to the crew on the Enterprise about to embark on their five-year mission.

The Keeper September 17 2013 07:28 PM

Yeah, how dare JJ assume we'd be bright enough to understand she made a full recovery without taking up more screen time to show her alive and well. The Nerve!

YellowSubmarine September 17 2013 09:10 PM

If a film was about knowing what happened, we would simply read the plot on Wikipedia. It's about experiencing it.

The Keeper September 17 2013 09:21 PM

Perhaps the studio slapped a running time restriction.

Ovation September 17 2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

YellowSubmarine wrote: (Post 8658871)
If a film was about knowing what happened, we would simply read the plot on Wikipedia. It's about experiencing it.

It's also about the director deciding whether it makes his story better--in his judgement, clearly this was not the case. You are, of course, free to disagree (no one should object to that) but the idea that audiences do not have to be shown a resolution to every single element that was introduced earlier is a legitimate one. I hate when films spend too much time explaining things I can easily figure out for myself as though I was not intelligent enough to do so.

In this case, I can see the appeal of the cut scene, but I think it's placement in the structure of the final moments of the film would have proved somewhat problematic (along the lines pointed out by Franklin). But that's just my opinion.

Therin of Andor September 17 2013 10:45 PM

There was a publicity pic released of the main crew (in their hats) in San Francisco interacting with the little girl, Lucille, but it wasn't clear if it was for an actual scene or if she and Contractor were early for the wrap party.

M'Sharak September 17 2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Therin of Andor wrote: (Post 8659276)
There was a publicity pic released of the main crew (in their hats) in San Francisco interacting with the little girl, Lucille, but it wasn't clear if it was for an actual scene or if she and Contractor were early for the wrap party.

I'm pretty sure that was identified as behind-the-scenes when it originally appeared. It's one of several called "set photos" here.

See also:
http://translate.google.com/translat...star-trek-xii/

Malaika September 18 2013 06:39 PM

oh nice another scene that would make the more even more a Kirk show than it already is...

Quote:

Enterprise is Great wrote: (Post 8658088)
I wouldn't have cared to have had it in the film but deleted scenes like this should've been on the blu-ray/dvds.

agree.