The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Is this the Enterprise theme that could have been? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=225943)

TrekToday September 15 2013 08:40 AM

Is this the Enterprise theme that could have been?

It’s no secret that the Enterprise theme tune was not hugely popular, but for quite some time it was rumoured that the theme would in fact be Wherever You Will Go by The Calling. The song was used in promotional adverts on UPN at the time, leading to conjecture that it would also be the […]

More...

Tosk September 15 2013 09:08 AM

Re: Is this the Enterprise theme that could have been?

Although Braga talks on the Blu-rays about how the theme was "Beautiful Day" by U2 for the longest time. So who knows where this theme would have fit in terms of consideration. (If at all.)

iguana_tonante September 15 2013 10:30 AM

I am one of the few people who likes the Enterprise opening. That said, having U2 would have been cool. The Calling, not so much.

StarMan September 15 2013 11:58 AM

Beautiful Day would've been fantastic! This version is okay enough - better than the godawful dreck we got.

teacake September 15 2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 8647639)
Although Braga talks on the Blu-rays about how the theme was "Beautiful Day" by U2 for the longest time. So who knows where this theme would have fit in terms of consideration. (If at all.)

I would have DIED. I freaking hate U2.

DIED. DIED. DIED.

Wow. Suddenly grateful. Faith in my GRATEFUL heart.

King Daniel Into Darkness September 15 2013 12:53 PM

EVIL XINDI GUY: At last, the Earth will be destroyed and humanity erdicated! Bwahahaha!

*fadeout*

"It's a beautiful day!" Duh-du-duhh "Don't let it get away..."

Ummm....no.

Relayer1 September 15 2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8647897)
Quote:

Tosk wrote: (Post 8647639)

I would have DIED. I freaking hate U2.

DIED. DIED. DIED.

Wow. Suddenly grateful. Faith in my GRATEFUL heart.

...is the correct answer !

Isolinear September 15 2013 01:35 PM

The "In A Mirror, Darkly" opening was perfect.

bullethead September 15 2013 02:54 PM

This song is way better in terms of the actual music, but the lyrics don't fit the show at all. Faith of the Heart wasn't the best song in the world, but it was appropriate given the content of the opening credits and the hurdles Starfleet had to get over.

R. Star September 15 2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 8647948)
EVIL XINDI GUY: At last, the Earth will be destroyed and humanity erdicated! Bwahahaha!

*fadeout*

"It's a beautiful day!" Duh-du-duhh "Don't let it get away..."

Ummm....no.

That would actually be funny. :lol:

Agent Richard07 September 15 2013 03:50 PM

^ Agreed. :guffaw:

Christopher September 15 2013 04:16 PM

The people who make the promos for a show are not the same people who make the show itself. It's the network's publicity department that would've handled them. So the fact that this song was used in promos does not in any way suggest that the show's makers ever considered using it.

That said, while I've never had a problem with "Faith of the Heart" (at least, not the season 1-2 arrangement), I always did quite like "Wherever You Will Go."

MacLeod September 15 2013 04:34 PM

I suspect anything but an insturmental opening would have displeased a portion of the fanbase. I don't mind the song as it does suit the theme of getting to the stars.

But at the end of the day it's the opening credits, ENT had far bigger concerns than the opening credits. I watch a show for the show itself not what music they play during credits.

Masiral September 15 2013 06:13 PM

I believe that "Archer's Theme" was intended to be the main theme for the show, but then the studio wanted a song instead of something insturmental?

Gaith September 15 2013 07:46 PM

"Wherever You Will Go" is a fine pop song and all, but who the heck would its "you" have referred to in the Trek sense? :confused: I don't believe this theory for a moment. :p