The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Kirk Emotionally Compromised? (spoiler) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=225829)

austen_pierce September 14 2013 01:39 PM

Kirk Emotionally Compromised? (spoiler)

In STiD, should Spock have relieved Kirk?

In ST09, Kirk relieved Spock of command after the latter realized that the loss of Vulcan had compromised his objectivity. From a plot perspective, this was crucial to getting Kirk into the captain's chair.

Back to STiD, Kirk is clearly influenced by
demonstrate the loss of his objectivity. Of course, plot dictated otherwise.

Opus September 14 2013 01:47 PM

Re: Kirk Emotionally Compromised? (spoiler)

He might have.

But Kirk changed his mind and decided to go against Marcus' orders and instead leads an assault to capture Harrison/Khan, to which Spock agrees.

DEWLine September 14 2013 02:22 PM

Jim started taking the concerns seriously because of Scotty and Keenser handed in their resignations from the ship's company, or so it looks. The shock on his face as he realized that he'd just accepted Scotty's resignation...

JWPlatt September 14 2013 09:54 PM

Shhh. The plot justifies the means.

Peach Wookiee September 14 2013 09:56 PM

I'd argue Spock was emotionally compromised too by Pike's death...

CorporalClegg September 14 2013 10:01 PM

"Emotionally compromised" is rather unspecific.

They both may have been acting on emotion and not rationally, but Kirk never tried to kick the shit out of his XO.

Santa Claus September 14 2013 10:19 PM

I figure Marcus knew Kirk was emotionally compromised by Pike's death, and decided that Kirk would be the best lamb to be led to slaughter. Kirk was, in Starfleet circles, the black sheep. So you get this notoriously hot-headed, contentious, young Captain who usually breaks regulation without a second glance, going after the man who killed his mentor, and willing to attack the Klingon homeworld in the process. It all makes for good headlines, disposes of Marcus' tactical benefactor, and it starts the war Marcus wanted in the first place. It's win/win.

austen_pierce September 15 2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

CorporalClegg wrote: (Post 8645635)
"Emotionally compromised" is rather unspecific.

They both may have been acting on emotion and not rationally, but Kirk never tried to kick the shit out of his XO.

He did look like he wanted to knock Scotty's lights out when the latter wouldn't sign for the torpedoes.

Kevman7987 September 15 2013 01:15 AM

Hmm. In order to make Kirk "emotionally compromised" next film, I wonder which of Kirk's mentors/family members will be killed?

STXI: George Kirk

STXII: Christopher Pike

STXIII: Samuel Kirk(?)*

*If they kill off Kirk's brother Sam in the next film, I hope he is played by Pine with a fake mustache.*:lol:

austen_pierce September 15 2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Kevman7987 wrote: (Post 8646562)
Hmm. In order to make Kirk "emotionally compromised" next film, I wonder which of Kirk's mentors/family members will be killed?

STXI: George Kirk

STXII: Christopher Pike

STXIII: Samuel Kirk(?)*

*If they kill off Kirk's brother Sam in the next film, I hope he is played by Pine with a fake mustache.*:lol:

YES

The Wormhole September 15 2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Kevman7987 wrote: (Post 8646562)

Actually, in the comics he looks kind of like Chris Hemsworth as Thor. Well, if Thor were a scraggy bum.

OBXTrekkie September 15 2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

J. Allen wrote: (Post 8645698)
I figure Marcus knew Kirk was emotionally compromised by Pike's death, and decided that Kirk would be the best lamb to be led to slaughter. Kirk was, in Starfleet circles, the black sheep. So you get this notoriously hot-headed, contentious, young Captain who usually breaks regulation without a second glance, going after the man who killed his mentor, and willing to attack the Klingon homeworld in the process. It all makes for good headlines, disposes of Marcus' tactical benefactor, and it starts the war Marcus wanted in the first place. It's win/win.

This, exactly.

Peach Wookiee September 15 2013 07:28 AM

I'd take Chris Hemsworth in the next movie... :drool: Yummy, yummy Thor...

CorporalClegg September 15 2013 09:55 AM

Or Liam even--who sort of looks like a cross between his brother and Pine.

Peach Wookiee September 15 2013 09:11 PM

He'd work too. Those Hemsworth brother's... yum!