The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Voyager (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Borg royalty (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=224929)

Melakon September 5 2013 10:23 PM

Borg royalty
 
I once idly speculated that Picard was the King of the Borg briefly. Was Seven of Nine the Princess of Borg?

Voyager added a lot of backstory through Seven. Her parents Magnus and Erin Hansen are the first from the Federation to study them and coin their name. Magnus is absorbed into the Collective, and the Queen keeps him around for 20 years just so she can surprise Seven with him. We don't know for certain what happened to Erin.

If Seven is the Princess, is Janeway the brave knight on a white horse come to rescue her?

Timewalker September 5 2013 10:42 PM

Re: Borg royalty
 
The idea is that the Borg are like bees, not human-like royalty. :rolleyes:

Melakon September 5 2013 10:48 PM

Re: Borg royalty
 
What about those theories that Seven was being groomed to become the Queen's successor?

teacake September 5 2013 10:59 PM

Re: Borg royalty
 
That would imply that there was something about 7 beside her body that was being groomed because otherwise the Queen is the Queen, and just d/l'd into a new body if something happens to the old one.

Timewalker September 5 2013 11:21 PM

Re: Borg royalty
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8603659)
What about those theories that Seven was being groomed to become the Queen's successor?

When a bee colony gets too large, it splits off - with a new Queen. Seven could have fulfilled that position, if the Borg Queen had wanted her to (and if she'd stayed a drone).

Melakon September 5 2013 11:29 PM

Re: Borg royalty
 
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8603713)
That would imply that there was something about 7 beside her body that was being groomed because otherwise the Queen is the Queen, and just d/l'd into a new body if something happens to the old one.

Maybe I'm just seeing too many possible cubbyholes. If Magnus is a member of the Collective, and if the Queen is a distillation of all the voices, could the Queen's personality be that of Erin Hansen? This would allow interpretation of Erin as the Queen, Magnus as the Queen's consort, and Annika/Seven as the offspring, tying in with the Queen's allusion of family.

I sometimes wish they'd cast Susanna Thompson as the mother as well.

teacake September 5 2013 11:58 PM

Re: Borg royalty
 
I think 7 would have recognized her mother in the Queen on some level if she was the Queen.

JirinPanthosa September 6 2013 12:35 AM

Re: Borg royalty
 
In TNG the Borg were like bees. In Voyager they were more like Buggers.

The Queen didn't seem to have any real motive for her actions in Dark Frontier. Her actions were more response to plot demand than a logical consequence of established Borg precedents. The writers wanted Seven to be confronted with her old Borg life and tortured by its ethical implications and the queen behaved accordingly. Stage 1: Kidnap 7. Stage 2: ? Stage 3: Galactic domination.

Melakon September 6 2013 12:48 AM

Re: Borg royalty
 
Yeah, I'm sure I'm reading more into it than there is, and giving the writers more credit than they deserve. I never liked the idea of a Leader of the Pack either.

Timewalker September 6 2013 12:56 AM

Re: Borg royalty
 
Quote:

Melakon wrote: (Post 8603812)
Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8603713)
That would imply that there was something about 7 beside her body that was being groomed because otherwise the Queen is the Queen, and just d/l'd into a new body if something happens to the old one.

Maybe I'm just seeing too many possible cubbyholes. If Magnus is a member of the Collective, and if the Queen is a distillation of all the voices, could the Queen's personality be that of Erin Hansen? This would allow interpretation of Erin as the Queen, Magnus as the Queen's consort, and Annika/Seven as the offspring, tying in with the Queen's allusion of family.

I think you're reading too much into it. There were many families that got assimilated, so it's not just the Hansens. Besides, the Borg existed for centuries (millennia?) before the Hansen family came along. The Queen has always considered the Collective her "family" (the human word that best approximates what the Collective means to a Borg).

R. Star September 6 2013 01:23 AM

Re: Borg royalty
 
I always figured the Queen was just a function within the Collective, and they could choose any drone to fill the role. This would explain why death is but a minor inconvenience for her, and her appearance/behavior changes.

teacake September 6 2013 01:34 AM

Re: Borg royalty
 
She does seem to have some uniqueness though and not be just a collective voice. But yes, physically she could be anyone. I'm assuming there is some hormonal element to her choosing female bodies.

Tiberius September 6 2013 01:13 PM

Re: Borg royalty
 
No no no. :P

The Borg Collective is a single giant mind. It's spread throughout all of the drones, just like our mind is spread throughout all of our brain cells. This mind is the Borg Queen. The body we saw played by Alice Krige and Susanna Thompson is just a puppet that the mind controls.

There's no royal family. For my take on why the Borg wanted Picard, have a read of my free novelization of The Best of Both Worlds, Part One, chapter four. A link to it is in my signature.

Bry_Sinclair September 6 2013 02:04 PM

Re: Borg royalty
 
Seven is nothing more than a drone, both in and out of the Collective.

R. Star September 6 2013 04:05 PM

Re: Borg royalty
 
That's kinda harsh. ;)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.